Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread

Options
  • 21-03-2014 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Decided in the shop I was going to be lazy and buy a loaf rather than coming home on a Friday evening and starting into baking one (ok - I know it's max 15 minutes work, but hey it's Friday!)

So I spent some time going through the ingredients of this loaf and that and using my handy list of E numbers on my phone I ran out of options - generally most breads contain either E471, 472 or both, which may be animal fat derived.

Needless to say the homemade bread is now rising on top of the fridge so it will be very welcome at breakfast tomorrow or if the munchies arise tonight!

So Veggies of Boards what's your stance on these commercial breads - avoid like the plague or ignore the possibility?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I find bread one of the most annoying things to buy, bread here is muck anyway and there's only one type of sliced bread that I buy that I know is vegan friendly. I'm not familiar with those particular e numbers but in general I always check ingredients list on bread and when there is no list to check I only buy stuff like ciabatta or french stick type bread that I know is going to be most likely ok. Bread is tricky though but if there's something in the ingredients list that may or may not be animal derived I wouldnt buy it.

Advertisement