Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MySQL version

Options
  • 21-03-2014 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

Since questions about specific hosts is not allowed, I'll keep this general.

While trying to plan for db optimization, I noticed on a particular host, that the MySQL version is 5.0.9, which is a 2010 release. The latest in 5.6.

Is it typical for a host to skip so many minor versions and for so long? I think there have been many optimizations from 5.0 to 5.5 and 5.6.

I expect that on shared hosting they will avoid updating as often as possible, but I would have expected a newer version than 5.0.9.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I would say in general it would be one of two reasons,
    1) Not to piss off all users on shared hosting
    2) To push people to purchase VMs or dedicated packages which they can do what they want with the system

Hope that was as general as possible. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Not to give you a short answer, but this really depends on the host. On shared hosting, updating software can introduce breaking changes for everyone that could be more trouble than it's worth.

I've got all my stuff virtualised now because I need more than just site hosting, but I've had my site on some terrible hosts over the years with all sorts of lousy versions of PHP, no modern ASP.Net support and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Thanks for the info, just what I needed.

Advertisement