Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$50 Free with Scotiabank

Options
  • 21-03-2014 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hey,

If anyone is moving to Canada and looking to set up a bank account. If you open an account with ScotiaBank using the following link you will get $50 (so will I!).
    Link

I've been using ScotiaBank for the past year and have found them great. Easy to set up and plenty of ATMs (in 7-elevens).

Who said there's no such thing as a free lunch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Another helpful chap put a link in a Facebook group, it covers ALL of this and is very useful:

http://www.nofeebanking.ca/forum/content.php?183-best-no-fee-chequing-accounts-in-canada

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭magicspatula

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunshine87

im with TD Canada and i have to say they are the best bank here. Customer service is excellent. Fees are $14 p/m for unlimited transactions. plus there are more TD branches in Toronto.

just saying. i was gonna go with scotia last year when i came but was advised to go with TD and havent regretted it.

Depends what you want in a bank i suppose.

Yeah I checked out the branch locations of some of the banks offering free banking. Starting with the top on the list in the link above, PC Financial, their branch locator shows just a handful of branches and they are clustered around one area. Even using online banking primarily, an occasional visit may be necessary. I'll have to factor that in when choosing which one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Scotiabank were offering free banking for a year to new customers, not sure if they still are, but either way I have found them excellent. Easy to deal with, online banking works great. I think they are 13$ a month for unlimited transactions, and you also earn 'scene points' which can be used for free cinema tickets which although isn't amazing has meant I haven't paid for the cinema once in the past year.

fergusb wrote: »
    Scotiabank were offering free banking for a year to new customers, not sure if they still are, but either way I have found them excellent. Easy to deal with, online banking works great. I think they are 13$ a month for unlimited transactions, and you also earn 'scene points' which can be used for free cinema tickets which although isn't amazing has meant I haven't paid for the cinema once in the past year.

That's not a bad deal at all, I love the movies! Do you need brick and mortar branches much, do Scotia have enough dotted around do you think?

Practically never use Bricks and Mortar stores, Just when setting up my account. I have a business account with them as well which I have used their stores a bit for, but from a personal banking side, I don't think I've been in since I set it up. The only reason I can see to go in is to apply for a credit card/loan etc.... deposit cheques (I haven't had to do that!) etc. Also my local branch is open until 7pm, and opens on Saturdays which is great.

Scotia do have enough around if I need them. I think there are at least 3 downtown anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Yeah they don't do the free banking for a year anymore, they replaced it with giving you a free $100 after the first 3 months, once you keep your account in good order during that time. So it's kinda like 7.5 months free banking... Not as good but it's something I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Hey,

If anyone is moving to Canada and looking to set up a bank account. If you open an account with ScotiaBank using the following link you will get $50 (so will I!).
    Link

I've been using ScotiaBank for the past year and have found them great. Easy to set up and plenty of ATMs (in 7-elevens).

Who said there's no such thing as a free lunch?

I was always under the impression I couldn't open an account till I arrived?
    Am I forced to only use their ATMs, or I can use any, but it will be liable to a charge if it ain't a ScotiaBank one?

• Advertisement

You probably do have to be here before you can open an account. But its a quick process so once you get you SIN number do it then.

You aren't 'forced' to use their ATM's, but your bank will charge you for using another ATM, and owner of the ATM will charge you, so might end up being $3 fee for using someone elses ATM.

Bear in mind that Canada isn't a bit cash society. Everyone uses Debit, even for buying a coffee for 3 bucks using a card isn't unusual. So you don't need to use ATM's that frequently.

You probably do have to be here before you can open an account. But its a quick process so once you get you SIN number do it then.

You aren't 'forced' to use their ATM's, but your bank will charge you for using another ATM, and owner of the ATM will charge you, so might end up being $3 fee for using someone elses ATM.

Bear in mind that Canada isn't a bit cash society. Everyone uses Debit, even for buying a coffee for 3 bucks using a card isn't unusual. So you don't need to use ATM's that frequently.

Great, thanks for that! Just back from the US for the first time, and actually loved the idea of paying for stuff with card, it was so much more handy than in Ireland! Especially in bars. :P
    What bank do you use yourself? Noticed you're in Vancouver, hoping to head there myself. :D

See the original post :) I'm with Scotiabank.

Yup been in Vancouver for a year now. Love it, very different to Ireland but its a great city!

See the original post :) I'm with Scotiabank.

Yup been in Vancouver for a year now. Love it, very different to Ireland but its a great city!

OOppps! Sorry, I usually don't miss stuff like that. :pac: Cool, I'll check out the link... I won't be travelling for a while yet though!

Advertisement