Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leasing land -Entitlements???

Options
  • 21-03-2014 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi
    I was just wondering if I lease out land do i have to lease or sell the entitlements as well as i am not using the land anymore. I have tried looking it up but it is really confusing. Can someone please explain it to me in english that people can actually understand.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

if you werent farming it last year your entitlements as far as i know will basically disapear.if you were farming even a portion of it that you claimed omething on then you should be able to hold onto your entitlements. you should sell this year before 5 may if you claimed nothing last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gingerfarmer

yea we have been farming all of it, but we are down sizing so we don't all the land so we are renting it. We have claimed every year, We have never rented before so we are a bit confused. The guy we are renting it to said that we have to sell them cause we aren't using them anymore and if we want to use the land again we have to buy them back. Again I have tried to look this up but I can't find a clear answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

yea we have been farming all of it, but we are down sizing so we don't all the land so we are renting it. We have claimed every year, We have never rented before so we are a bit confused. The guy we are renting it to said that we have to sell them cause we aren't using them anymore and if we want to use the land again we have to buy them back. Again I have tried to look this up but I can't find a clear answer.

He is wrong. The money you get this year will be divided by the amount of land you claimed in 2013 or 2015 whichever is lower. This will be 2015 for you. It just means your entitlement value will be higher per hectare than at present cause you claiming same amount on less land.
    hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Upstream

It may not be the case that you have to sell them. Once you have been an active farmer in 2013, there's something called a private contract clause, PCC, that may be of use here. Details are sketchy at the moment and time is short, so maybe best to look for professional advice from Teagasc or similar, if you don't hear anything more here.

Advertisement