Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Digital My Passport 2TB Portable Hard Drive

Options
  • 21-03-2014 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi

I was just wondering will the 'Western Digital My Passport 2TB Portable Hard Drive' play avi files through my LG DVD player via its usb slot?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

ryanciara wrote: »
    Hi

I was just wondering will the 'Western Digital My Passport 2TB Portable Hard Drive' play avi files through my LG DVD player via its usb slot?

Thanks for your help.

You'll have to check if the DVD player supports FAT or NTFS or both. Your hd is most likely formatted as NTFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭ryanciara

So my DVD player supports FAT and my hd is formatted at NTFS, is it realistic to format my External Hard drive from NTFS to FAT so that it can play through my DVD player?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you format it, you,ll lose the data, avi, music,files on it.
    YOU can format to fat32 file format.
    ITS not as effecient as ntfs file format,in regard to using space on a drive.

How do you go about formatting it?

• Advertisement

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/format-fat32-drives-beyond-32gb-limit/

MAYBE make a partition ,31.5 in fat 32,
    other partition in ntfs,
    copy movies to fat 32 for dvd usb use.

or use the utility above.
    normal 32 limit is 32gig partition.max .

Thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You should note that the maximum filesize for FAT is 4GB so any files over that size won't be accessible.

MAke 2 , partitions , one 31.5gig , fat 32,
    ONE NTFS, copy files over as needed.
    FILES OVER 4GIG won,t copy to 32gig partition.
    NAME PARTITIONS, part no 1, part no 2 etc.
    EACH partition should have a different name.

FAT32 Format does require administrator privileges in order to mess around with any of your drives. Also, since FAT32 Format does not perform disk integrity checks on any newly formatted FAT32 spaces, it is advised to run the command "chkdsk /R x:" after the format, replacing "x:" with the appropriate drive letter in question. This process will take some time to complete, of course, so you might want to pop a cold one while you wait.

the dvd may not see partitions over 32 gig,

format first partition in fat 32,
    2nd in ntfs.

see first does it see partition 1,
    before you copy all files,
    copy 2 or 4 small avi files into partition 1 32gig.

run from start,menu, acessorys, dos prompt,
    run the command "chkdsk /R x

if you choose to use the special fat32 utility.

If they're in folders or packages, can they be of any size or is it just individual files that are subject to the 4GB limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

individual files in FAT32 file system can't exceed 4GB

4gig limit should not be a problem, unless you wanna watch long movies in hd format.

Advertisement