Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coopers cerveza

Options
  • 21-03-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

hi,
    I've ordered coopers cerveza kit, 500g extra light spray malt,and brewing sugar.
    I'm trying to make a light summery beer.anybody any experience with this kit?
    I have cascade hop tea bag and was wondering would this be worth adding and at what stage, if at all? I have coopers diy fermenter and will be bottling(no secondry or batch priming) Ive never used hops before but bought cascade because they're suppsed to be citrus flavoured
    any help, suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The sugar is a bad idea as it'll thin out the beer and might give you an unpleasant cidery tang -- a full kilo of spraymalt would have been better, but howanever: use what you have.

Definitely use the dry hops. Drop them in a week or so before bottling.

For best results I would ferment this relatively cool and slow -- if you have a room that's about 15-17C. Let it sit for at least three weeks to allow the yeast to clean up the off flavours.

It's a pretty rubbish kit, but you can make it less worse if you follow the steps above. The Cooper Brewmasters Traditional Draught is the best kit I've come across for the style you're trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 liaml1974

BeerNut wrote: »
    The sugar is a bad idea as it'll thin out the beer and might give you an unpleasant cidery tang -- a full kilo of spraymalt would have been better, but howanever: use what you have.

Definitely use the dry hops. Drop them in a week or so before bottling.

For best results I would ferment this relatively cool and slow -- if you have a room that's about 15-17C. Let it sit for at least three weeks to allow the yeast to clean up the off flavours.

It's a pretty rubbish kit, but you can make it less worse if you follow the steps above. The Cooper Brewmasters Traditional Draught is the best kit I've come across for the style you're trying to make.

Thanks beernut, do I just drop the hops in or soak them in boiling water first?
    I have extra bag of spray malt so I'll use 1kilo of that. What will the alcohol volume be roughly with all malt?
    I'll buy that traditional draught next.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd just drop them in loose, out of the teabag.

The ABV will depend on how much you make. At 20L it'll probably end up about 4.7% or so.

thanks for your help

Hi, I've just got round to using hops with a all malt canadian blonde. I just dropped the pellets in out of the tea bag to the fermenter after 6 days. Now there is a green film on top of the brew.
    Will this sink to the bottom? I have a fermenter with tap on it,will this stuff get in my bottles?
    How long will I leave it before it settles and I bottle? I won't be putting it in secondary bottling bucket?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

liaml1974 wrote: »
    Now there is a green film on top of the brew.
    Will this sink to the bottom? I have a fermenter with tap on it,will this stuff get in my bottles?
    Thanks

Not really unless you have the ability to chill to 1c for a few day. Or just syphon under the hop layer

I dont have the abilty to chill, but what does that do? i think i will chance the tap carefully. i have no syphon pipe.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

liaml1974 wrote: »
    I dont have the abilty to chill, but what does that do? i think i will chance the tap carefully. i have no syphon pipe.thanks

Sounds like a plan :)

Advertisement