Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Return to Biking

• 21-03-2014 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hi all,

would really appreciate some help with this one... I find it very hard to get a full clear understanding of all the new rules.

Here's the story:

got learner permit in May 2012 for category A,A1 & Am
    Did my IBT, completed successfully.
    Got a 125 beast
    crashed 125 beast
    got car
    always missed bike
    now hate car + have saved enough for new bike

My question is, what rules apply to me? whats my path of progression to getting a full A? What power restrictions am I bound to? when can I take the test?

Sorry for the terribly boring topic but Im eager to join in on the good threads when Im actually on the road & not pulling my hair out reading that poxt rsa website.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

jbe wrote: »
    hi all,

would really appreciate some help with this one... I find it very hard to get a full clear understanding of all the new rules.

Here's the story:

got learner permit in May 2012 for category A,A1 & Am
    Did my IBT, completed successfully.
    Got a 125 beast
    crashed 125 beast
    got car
    always missed bike
    now hate car + have saved enough for new bike

My question is, what rules apply to me? whats my path of progression to getting a full A? What power restrictions am I bound to? when can I take the test?

Sorry for the terribly boring topic but Im eager to join in on the good threads when Im actually on the road & not pulling my hair out reading that poxt rsa website.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

New rules since 19th January 2013 so it will depend on your age as how to proceed to full 'A'.

If you are over 24 & completed IBT 1,2,3,4. on old paper 'A' permit, you would now have to change to new plastic card 'A' permit, complete IBT module 5 (11-Hours) & then you can ride unrestricted, apply & pass test on category 'A' bike.

If you are under 24 you can apply & take an 'A2' test on your old permit if still valid on an 'A2' bike of exactly 25kw, pass & get an 'A2' full licence.

or if old permit is expired

Change your old paper 'A' permit for a new plastic 'A2' permit & take an 'A2' test on an 'A2' machine of between 20 to 35kw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jbe

Roadcraft, really appreciate that cheers.

Just turned 24, had paper "A" learner permit. So it seems you're first scenario is the one that applies to me.

Next step for me is to get the bike. On the hunt for a respected Bros 400.

Reckon it'll be a great first "real" bike!! Also haven spoken to an owner or two in similar situations it seems they don't need restricting in the eyes of libertyinsurance.

Anyway thanks for your help!

jbe wrote: »
    Roadcraft, really appreciate that cheers.

Just turned 24, had paper "A" learner permit. So it seems you're first scenario is the one that applies to me.

Next step for me is to get the bike. On the hunt for a respected Bros 400.

Reckon it'll be a great first "real" bike!! Also haven spoken to an owner or two in similar situations it seems they don't need restricting in the eyes of libertyinsurance.

Anyway thanks for your help!

The new 'A' is an unrestricted category so you will not need to restrict any bike.

Category 'A' bike for training or test must be min 595cc, 50kw, 175kgs, so bros 400 would not be suitable.

Just something to think about before you buy a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Consider a Bros 650. My brother has a 400 which I rode for a while, but I ended up getting a 650 for myself (when this change came in) and I'm loving it!

Still very reliable and quite comfortable, with plenty of low-down torque. They're not crazy on petrol either, since it's not high-revving. I found Liberty wouldn't quote me on a super sport 600, but Aon did at around 1500 p/a. Liberty quoted me around €600 p/a (TPFT IIRC) for the 650 which made my mind up.

Going to have a 2nd crack at the full test when I'm back in the country for a while. Might go for the cager test first though..

Good luck!

Wez wrote: »
    Consider a Bros 650. My brother has a 400 which I rode for a while, but I ended up getting a 650 for myself (when this change came in) and I'm loving it!

Still very reliable and quite comfortable, with plenty of low-down torque. They're not crazy on petrol either, since it's not high-revving. I found Liberty wouldn't quote me on a super sport 600, but Aon did at around 1500 p/a. Liberty quoted me around €600 p/a (TPFT IIRC) for the 650 which made my mind up.

Going to have a 2nd crack at the full test when I'm back in the country for a while. Might go for the cager test first though..

Good luck!

You cant use a Bros 650 for a category 'A' test either as it is produces less than 50kw of power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Dang it, I better look at renting for the test so! Doubt I could find 10kw for a few hundred, even if they'd accept a dyno report for proof. Can't see myself upgrading for a good while. Cheers!

Advertisement