Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 PC recommendations

Options
  • 21-03-2014 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a new PC running windows 7 at a reasonable price.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭connorfleming

What is your budget? What are you wanting to use the computer for?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

What is your budget? What are you wanting to use the computer for?

Light office work.

€500 not incl monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭connorfleming

Ok I'm not sure about laws and import taxes in regards to buying from the UK, but if you use the specs of this as a guideline it would make a perfect office work PC, and is slightly under budget.

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Prestige-i5-4130I-Office-Desktop.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Not a great deal really. Better off just sticking to Dell or building your own.

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-3847-desktop/pd?oc=cd84713&model_id=inspiron-3847-desktop

yawhat! wrote: »
    Not a great deal really. Better off just sticking to Dell or building your own.

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-3847-desktop/pd?oc=cd84713&model_id=inspiron-3847-desktop

That one would be perfect apart from
    Windows. 8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

loremolis wrote: »
    That one would be perfect apart from
    Windows. 8

Install classic shell on Windows 8.
    99% people won't know the difference between that and Windows 7.

beauf wrote: »
    Install classic shell on Windows 8.
    99% people won't know the difference between that and Windows 7.

Can you explain? Is it a download?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Yes free download. http://www.classicshell.net/ turns off Metro and underneath Windows 8 is the same as Windows 7. Takes about a 30 secs to install and configure. Very simple. If you get a PC with Windows 7 then great. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about Windows 8 as you can use Classic Shell.

beauf wrote: »
    Yes free download. http://www.classicshell.net/ turns off Metro and underneath Windows 8 is the same as Windows 7. Takes about a 30 secs to install and configure. Very simple. If you get a PC with Windows 7 then great. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about Windows 8 as you can use Classic Shell.

Thank you, that's sorted it for me. I can buy any PC now.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭try

I wonder where else can you buy a basic PC. It's to replace an XP office PC

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-3847-desktop/pd?oc=cd84715&model_id=inspiron-3847-desktop @ 489 incl VAT looked okay.

However it cannot be bough on dell.ie Even though it's listed in ready to ship selection, when I tried buying it, there's no add to basket button and when I rang up, the operator said its not available. Stupid thing is that it is available to buy at £429 incl VAT on dell.co.uk. I couldnt be bothered buying it there and having it shipped over because of the hassle and inconvenience of reclaiming UK VAT

1 TB of hard drive too much for me. I wouldnt use 1% of that

• Advertisement

Would you consider a pre-built PC where you pick you pick your own parts? Much much cheaper and get superior parts. Everyone uses hardwareversand

Item|Price
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€88.47
    Super Flower Amazon 80Plus Bronze Netzteil - 450 Watt|€46.00
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 120GB SATA 6Gb/s|€69.99
    Cooler Master Elite 310 silver, ohne Netzteil|€33.59
    ASRock H81M-HDS, Sockel 1150, mATX|€42.19
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24|€63.43
    Intel Core i3-4130 Box, LGA1150|€95.84
    Rechner - Zusammenbau|€29.99
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€488.49

The 29.99 is that they put the PC together for you. Contains and SSD for storage which would make your PC All around faster. It would boot in seconds.

I need a new monitor too. Where would I get one of those. 24" would be nice. One was included in the Dell €489 price.

Id need a case too I presume or would an old Dimension 4600 case do?

Would that SSD be quieter?

Thanks, I'm open to seld build ok

I see those guys do monitors too.

Case is included in the build.

basically SSD is silent and makes everything faster like opening programs and windows boots up in seconds.

Any of the LG IPS monitors are good like this one

I think I have a spare Windows 7 Home Premium which would do

Would I need a graphics card to go with that monitor or is the integrated graphics ok?

Would a bequiet L7-430 be suitable? About six months ago I replaced the PSU on the old PC that I'm going to scrap now and I picked up the bequiet locally

This just might work out

Thanks

integrated graphics would be fine unless you plan on gaming.

Yea that power supply will work as well. Its a good brand as well!

Have a look for a pc case you like. I put in a budget one but its still fine.

I was just looking at the Cooler Master Elite 310 silver, ohne Netzteil and it only has 2 USB connectors. The motherboard has 6 (2+4) which would be fine.

Also do I need separate network adapters or are they included on something else?

Advertisement