Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham vs Manchester United Match Thread. k/o 17.30 SS1.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Quahog217

Pack your bags ladies and gentlemen, the hype train is about to leave the station.

Seriously though, it's far too early to say that, and for a lot of people, me included, there are still flaws in his game.

Fair enough, I kinda meant in a few years he will be one the best but I'm kinda drunk!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Haha if ever there was one to talk about the hype train!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Liam O wrote: »
    Like?

In before 'flapping at crosses' which I can't remember the last time he did that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

CSF wrote: »
    Haha if ever there was one to talk about the hype train!!

Pot kettle springs to mind all right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

West Ham are making Michael Carrick look like Franco Baresi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Like?

Not as commanding of his box as other top keepers, compare it to Neuer or Courtois and it is lacking, I've never been particularly impressed with his 1 vs 1 work, he also doesn't seem as vocal as perhaps some top keepers. He's an excellent shot stopper, his distribution is usually quite good but best in the world is certainly a stretch too far.

Haha brilliant!! :D

It's hard to believe it's not Baresi, it's Carrick you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

but best in the world is certainly a stretch too far.

Who said this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Not as commanding of his box as other top keepers, compare it to Neuer or Courtois and it is lacking, I've never been particularly impressed with his 1 vs 1 work, he also doesn't seem as vocal as perhaps some top keepers. He's an excellent shot stopper, his distribution is usually quite good but best in the world is certainly a stretch too far.

But isn't the yardstick Victor Valdes according to you?

He refers to him as the supreme Catalan gatekeeper.

Some great patient build up from United there.

I do believe him to be one of the finest goalkeepers on the planet, he's proved it season after season and his trophy haul and the backing of his teammates and those at the club back that up. However Victor Valdes aside, there's more goalkeepers of rate ahead of De Gea, before this dissolves, again, into a debate about Barcelona's greatest ever goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Didn't Young get the memo? No crossing, just passing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

I do believe him to be one of the finest goalkeepers on the planet, he's proved it season after season and his trophy haul and the backing of his teammates and those at the club back that up. However Victor Valdes aside, there's more goalkeepers of rate ahead of De Gea, before this dissolves, again, into a debate about Barcelona's greatest ever goalkeeper.

Ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Oh my good God almighty! And still 24 hrs brfore the Classico! Hope ronaldo scores a hat trick!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Is Fellaini specifically not allowed to be booked? 4 or 5 fouls plus a blatant dive and still no card.

Is Fellaini specifically not allowed to be booked? 4 or 5 fouls plus a blatant dive and still no card.

It's Fergie, he owns the referees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Mata has been very quiet this half.

Red Crow wrote: »
    It's Fergie, he owns the referees.

Doesn't own clattneburg :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Vitriolic stuff. United cruising and West Ham just rubbish.

Johner wrote: »
    Mata has been very quiet this half.

He's been decent with the ball. We're not really playing well as a unit though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rooney and Mata off I'd say

It's ALWAYS cross for West Ham. Mark Noble in a good position on the edge of the box. Have a shot or try a through ball? No, cross it over to Michael Baresi there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

So much bull**** here. Valdes is a good to average goalkeeper, not an integral part of any of the trophies he has won. Not up there with the greatest of shotstoppers and quite suspect in plenty of aspects of his game too. Take the Barca jersey off him and you wouldn't be singing his praises half as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Did rooney just snub Moyes? :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It's Lee Mason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Carrick has played very well in fairness, for a stop gap central defender

That was awful by Kagawa, nice break though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Great battling by welbeck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Johner wrote: »
    That was awful by Kagawa, nice break though.
    Evil Kagawa disagrees.

Evil Kagawa ‏@evilkagawa 1m
    JUMP YOU SON OF BITCH!!!!!

CSF wrote: »
    So much bull**** here. Valdes is a good to average goalkeeper, not an integral part of any of the trophies he has won. Not up there with the greatest of shotstoppers and quite suspect in plenty of aspects of his game too. Take the Barca jersey off him and you wouldn't be singing his praises half as much.

I won't follow this up with a comment but that's incorrect. Take the Barcelona jersey off him and I will praise him even more as I couldn'tbbe accused of bias then. However it isn't possible to take Barcelona out of his blood, he was schooled at Barcelona, raised to dream of playing for Barcelona, he grew up and became the goalkeeper and man he is today because of Barcelona. Take away Barcelona and you have a different goalkeeper and a different man.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment of his goalkeeping skills and his contributions to the clubs great success, I suspect those at the club would agree with me rather than you, there's a reason he has been the number one at Barcelona for so long and a reason why it took so long to find his replacement. Big gloves to fill.

I will not commentvany further on this thread about Valdes, I'd also like to note that I did not bring up the subject of Valdes.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Are the WHU fans chanting Suarez stuff or am I way off that?

De Gea has some accuracy!

Good performance by United but West Ham were absolutely shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I won't follow this up with a comment but that's incorrect. Take the Barcelona jersey off him and I will praise him even more as I couldn'tbbe accused of bias then. However it isn't possible to take Barcelona out of his blood, he was schooled at Barcelona, raised to dream of playing for Barcelona, he grew up and became the goalkeeper and man he is today because of Barcelona. Take away Barcelona and you have a different goalkeeper and a different man.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment of his goalkeeping skills and his contributions to the clubs great success, I suspect those at the club would agree with me rather than you, there's a reason he has been the number one at Barcelona for so long and a reason why it took so long to find his replacement. Big gloves to fill.

I will not commentvany further on this thread about Valdes, I'd also like to note that I did not bring up the subject of Valdes.

So in saying all that, and if he is that good, why are Barcelona allowing him to leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Big Sam clearly didn't learn much from watching Liverpool and Olympiakos cut through this Man Utd defense so easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Valdez has to make 2 saves a game of course he looks good, just like the barca defence he very rarely gets tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

West Ham are boring Man United out of a 3rd goal. Sapping everyone's will, in this second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The barca chat finishes here. Back to the game.

I'm not sure the WHU player played for the ball there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Should have been a peno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Carrick and Jones have done well but Carrick isn't challenging for many headers, he prefers to use strength and hold his ground - a great performance as a stop gap but not a go forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The barca chat finishes here. Back to the game.

I'm not sure the WHU player played for the ball there!

Now there's a nice, vague statement to get things back on topic :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I just don't understand our lack of urgency today. On paper, today was a perfect time to play Man Utd. At home, RVP out, no Vidic or Ferdinand, Carrick as a defender and we turn up with this absolute shit. I'm pretty sure playing the injured van Persie instead of Carrick would have been equally as comfortable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Big Sam clearly didn't learn much from watching Liverpool and Olympiakos cut through this Man Utd defense so easily

I dont think West Ham are capable of that tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭me89

I just don't understand our lack of urgency today. On paper, today was a perfect time to play Man Utd. At home, RVP out, no Vidic or Ferdinand, Carrick as a defender and we turn up with this absolute shit. I'm pretty sure playing the injured van Persie instead of Carrick would have been equally as comfortable.

I don't know why you're surprised its the same every time a big team come's. I don't know how much longer i can watch us playing this hoof ball, it's so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

spiralism wrote: »
    1-1 and some of the ugliest football you're ever likely to see on display
    It was horrible, wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

One major flaw in this point is that Liverpool and Olympiakos are actually not shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Big Sam talking about United like they were romping away at the top of the table rather than in 7th. At home to the team in 7th he'd want to be fairly annoyed that they didn't do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

West Ham are incredible limited in what they can do with a football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement