Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New ipad

• 21-03-2014 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi thinking on getting a ipad

What is the latest ipad out there?

I thought it was ipad4 but on the apple site I can only see ipad with retina display and ipad air

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Shanekk22 wrote: »

I thought it was ipad4 but on the apple site I can only see ipad with retina display and ipad air

Thanks

iPad Air is the latest €489

iPad with Retina Display is the iPad 4 & is €399 but can be bought for €329 refurbished (which is essentially brought back to new condition by Apple).

Personally I would go for the Air though. More future proof for the €89 as new over the 4 due to the 64bit processor inside and a much lighter and smaller form factor over the last generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

iPad Air is the latest and greatest then it's the iPad mini with retina display then it's the iPad with retina display (iPad 4) then the iPad mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Thanks

There are now 4 different iPad's available for sale, the best of the lot is the iPad Air, which is the full 9.7" one with the latest specs and improvements. Apple also sell the previous generation iPad with Retina (which is the 4th Gen) alongside the iPad Air.

The other two are the iPad mini and iPad mini with Retina Display. They are only 7.9" and differ on specs and price.

The line starting from the lowest priced/lowest spec'd goes like:

iPad mini < iPad w/ Retina Display (4th Gen) < iPad mini w/ Retina display < iPad Air

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Shanekk22

Ok thanks for all the info

I'm going to the USA in 2 months I was thinking on buying when I'm over.

I was on apple USA site seems you can't buy the ipad unlocked woukd it be the same in the us?

It's not like the .ie site it's unlocked you don't need to but a contract there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

I was on apple USA site seems you can't buy the ipad unlocked woukd it be the same in the us?

To best of my knowledge ipad sold on apple irish site is unlocked. Also remember with US purchase you must add sales tax depending on State, also charger will be different (not major problem) and returns is a pain in the ass as it must be returned in case of repair to USA.

IPad Air 128 GB with Wi-Fi and 4G would be €879 inc VAT while the same in US (say NY) would be $1011 or about €735. Also there is a risk that the product would be liable to charges on importation.

• Advertisement

Are you looking to get an iPad with 4G? Those cost a decent bit extra than the Wi-Fi only models. I'm pretty sure all the cellular iPads are unlocked in-store anyway so no need to worry about that.

infosys wrote: »
    To best of my knowledge ipad sold on apple irish site is unlocked. Also remember with US purchase you must add sales tax depending on State, also charger will be different (not major problem) and returns is a pain in the ass as it must be returned in case of repair to USA.

With US iPads you can have them repaired in Europe as they are the same model number. With iPhones you can't as they are different.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    With US iPads you can have them repaired in Europe as they are the same model number. With iPhones you can't as they are different.

Good to know.

Just double checked from USA warranty site

"IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE AND iPAD SERVICE.
    Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone and iPad to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device."

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Shanekk22

Yes looking to get the ipad that can take the sim

I was in New York last week it was so packed with people I never got to ask anyone instore but I seen the prices there 629 + sales tax for the 32g

So I'm going back in 2 months to Orlando and was going to get one but if you go online and try to buy one it makes you pick a phone provider

So was just thinking in store could be the same

There a good saving if you could get it in the us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Also there is a risk that the product would be liable to charges on importation.

Really? It's not like he's buying a dozen iPads from the US. I've bought plenty of gadgets while on holiday in East Asia and never got charged when I head back to Ireland. Heck, one time I brought a whole desktop computer back.

• Advertisement

makoten wrote: »
    Really? It's not like he's buying a dozen iPads from the US. I've bought plenty of gadgets while on holiday in East Asia and never got charged when I head back to Ireland. Heck, one time I brought a whole desktop computer back.

The duty free limit per passenger in goods other than cigs drink etc. Is €430. Get the wrong official on the wrong day then liable for charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Aodhagan wrote: »

Are you sure the cellular ones are the same model number. Warranty states iPhones and iPads can be restricted to region of purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

The duty free limit per passenger in goods other than cigs drink etc. Is €430. Get the wrong official on the wrong day then liable for charges.

Wait a second, I think I know why I haven't had problems with importing then. I usually have a transfer flight in an EU country in-between (i.e. Hong Kong -> London -> Dublin). Does the duty free limit still apply then? Since the flight is really just London to Dublin :pac: Ha.

makoten wrote: »
    Wait a second, I think I know why I haven't had problems with importing then. I usually have a transfer flight in an EU country in-between (i.e. Hong Kong -> London -> Dublin). Does the duty free limit still apply then? Since the flight is really just London to Dublin :pac: Ha.

Duty free limits still apply. You may be asked the original departure country. Also note the colour on your baggage tags.

guil wrote: »
    Are you sure the cellular ones are the same model number. Warranty states iPhones and iPads can be restricted to region of purchase.

Yeah the cellular models are the same worldwide. You wouldn't have an issue getting it repaired here.

http://bgr.com/2013/11/04/ipad-air-global-cellular-analysis/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

DubDJ wrote: »
    The other two are the iPad mini and iPad mini with Retina Display. They are only 7.9" and differ on specs and price.

Just to be more specific the iPad Mini with Retina Display has the same specifications as the iPad Air, it's processor is just slightly underclocked (5%-10%).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just to be more specific the iPad Mini with Retina Display has the same specifications as the iPad Air, it's processor is just slightly underclocked (5%-10%).

Display on the iPad Air is a little better too but it's not very noticeable to anybody. But yeah other than that they are almost identical.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Display on the iPad Air is a little better too but it's not very noticeable to anybody. But yeah other than that they are almost identical.

Personally I would say it's very noticeable :D

Advertisement