Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog killed a lamb today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Callisto99 wrote: »
    Are you for real?

Your dog killed an animal which is part of his livelihood and this incident will most likely lead to subsequent deaths and loss of earnings due to trauma inflicted - I am speaking from recent experience and loss of earnings here.

You really have a hypocritical cheek to question his responsibility to control his livestock given the damage your animal has done.

Compensation should be paid, and some.

So did you allow your sheep to stray, and have a lamb kill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Red Crow wrote: »
    It's as much you're responsibility to control your dog as it's the farmers responsibility to not let his sheep stray off his land. I'd offer to pay for the lamb but do farmers offer to pay for the thousands of damage sheep cause to people's flowers and land? No.

Why not? They are liable and should have insurance, I know I do but haven't had a claim on it for more than 20 years and that was the only one we ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

lollsangel wrote: »
    not one farmer i know"allows" their sheep to stray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Callisto99

lollsangel wrote: »

Sheep certainly did not stray, a lot of money has been spend to maintain walls and fences.

This however is quite beside the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Hooked wrote: »
    As the owner of 2 Huskies, very very well behaved ones, I'm not surprised to read it was a Husky here. What I can tell you, is that if one of mine got off, no rabbit, lamb, cat or other small animal would be safe!!! They have (as a breed) a very high prey drive.

Those calling for the dogs death - that's absurd. I've read what the effect on other sheep/stock can be as a result of this attack. Will all that magically stop IF the dog is killed. No. It won't.

The OP made a simple mistake, the dog got out - and a lamb was killed. If the dog never gets out again - it will never kill again. Simple as. This 'taste of blood' talk is utter tripe.

Now, I'm not sure what the legal standpoint of all of this is... But, if it were my dog - no one would be putting him down over an incident like this.

Stand firm OP.

If he did damage on my property and I caught him in the act all you would get back was a carcass and a bill. I wouldn't be asking you to put him down it would just be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hooked wrote: »

Now, I'm not sure what the legal standpoint of all of this is... But, if it were my dog - no one would be putting him down over an incident like this.

Stand firm OP.

I wonder if another dog came and killed one of your dogs would you have the same viewpoint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭warehouse1

Basically you couldn't control your dog once he got loose you were calling him and he was just ignoring you. You need to teach the dog that you are the boss and that he should come back when called. If its a pedigree lamb he killed you could owe the farmer the €700. If the dog gets out again he will kill more lambs/sheep now that he has a taste for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

You are absolutely 100% wrong. Farmer is totally liable for any damage his stock do having strayed onto public road or for that matter to private property in the line of gardens etc. All the more reason why farmers get very uptight if their stock is being worried or attacked by dogs as these attacks can also lead to straying and if this happens ypu can be sure dog will be long gone and farmer liable for any damage or injuries to memebers of the public.
    As the driver of the vehicle you would be responsible for hitting something. It is your responsibility to avoid hitting things. The keeper of the animal might be liable for the damages though. The two things are not the same. I didn't say the farmer wouldn't be liable, now did I? I'm absolutely 100% sure I didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

warehouse1 wrote: »
    Basically you couldn't control your dog once he got loose you were calling him and he was just ignoring you. You need to teach the dog that you are the boss and that he should come back when called. If its a pedigree lamb he killed you could owe the farmer the €700. If the dog gets out again he will kill more lambs/sheep now that he has a taste for it.

The dog is a husky. Notoriously bad breed for recall. As for showing the dog who's boss, well I can only imagine how you would teach that. :rolleyes: My dogs come back when I call them because they want to, they know they'll get a treat or even just praise, which they love. If they're distracted by something and want to run after it, I focus their attention on something else that motivates them more - much more effective than 'showing them who's boss'.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Plane

A Husky as pointed out is one of the most intelligent dogs you can get. Be it in a small or large house/garden as long as a husky gets their exercise and attention and training they are a fantatic animal. In fact any Husky owners I know are aware of this when getting the dogs and they are incredibly well behaved and trained as a result.

Your dog escaped and as you tried to chase it down it paid no attention to your calls and killed a lamb. To me that shows that you have no control over the dog for what ever reason but the obvious reason is, the dogs not trained.

You are liable for the damage caused obviously. BUT what happens when the next lamb is killed and your dog is still alive? Your dog will be the number one suuspect and given that you have no control over the dog will you be able to honestly answer that your dog wasn't the cause?

You will have the bill of the lamb and depending on the farmer you may also have the bill of lost earnings for slipped lambs/stillborn that may come in the flock. Be it natural causes or the fact your dog terrorised the flock, your in the wrong.
    If it were me I'd have the dog destroyed and I have been in the situation before, I got the dog destroyed.

If the next attack is a child, I don't think you'll be on here complaining that the owner let the child out of it's garden.

• Advertisement

My dogs come back when I call them because they want to,

That's a red flag right there. Your dog should come back when you, as pack leader, tell them to. That's for your benefit as well as the dog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Why do people buy these hunter, working type dogs, do they really think that a husky who is bred for strenuous high intensity work are really suitable pets, huskies are meant to work, not lounge around your house all day keeping your 5 year old occupied,
    Should we really be surprised when they do get some freedom that they actually behave the way they do, their are numerous stories in the media within the last few months about working, hunting dogs turning vicious

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Plane

whupdedo wrote: »
    their are numerous stories in the media within the last few months about working, hunting dogs turning vicious

Hunting dogs turning into hunters, who'd have thought!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Sir Chops

puddles22 wrote: »
    Ok I was packing the car today next thing I know the dog had opened the front door of the house herself and away she bolted, I took after her in car no luck she is very very fast, anyhow got a phone call a few minutes later saying my dog ess in a field and had killed a lamb, this to me was one of those unlucky incidents,I consider myself very responsible when it comes to my dog, she is never off lead outside, doors are locked when she is inside because I know she likes to open them, this all happened in a couple of seconds, I phoned the sheep owner immediately, apologised offered to pay for the lamb, conversation started ok but then he started getting a bit over heated, threatening to do something about the dog,the thing is he lets his sheep roam everywhere, they go through people's garden, they trample and **** everywhere, I know that the land the lamb was killed on wasn't his and the sheep had just roamed on to it, I get he's pissed but does he not have a responsibility to control his livestock to?

Is this dog on the dangerous list? Should be muzzled at all times if so

Plane wrote: »
    A Husky as pointed out is one of the most intelligent dogs you can get. Be it in a small or large house/garden as long as a husky gets their exercise and attention and training they are a fantatic animal. In fact any Husky owners I know are aware of this when getting the dogs and they are incredibly well behaved and trained as a result.

Your dog escaped and as you tried to chase it down it paid no attention to your calls and killed a lamb. To me that shows that you have no control over the dog for what ever reason but the obvious reason is, the dogs not trained.

You are liable for the damage caused obviously. BUT what happens when the next lamb is killed and your dog is still alive? Your dog will be the number one suuspect and given that you have no control over the dog will you be able to honestly answer that your dog wasn't the cause?

You will have the bill of the lamb and depending on the farmer you may also have the bill of lost earnings for slipped lambs/stillborn that may come in the flock. Be it natural causes or the fact your dog terrorised the flock, your in the wrong.
    If it were me I'd have the dog destroyed and I have been in the situation before, I got the dog destroyed.

If the next attack is a child, I don't think you'll be on here complaining that the owner let the child out of it's garden.

Why do you think the dog would attack a child next? What relevance has a dog - and in this instance, a breed that has a very high prey drive - that has killed a lamb, got to do with attack a child?? There is no correlation whatsoever.

mordeith wrote: »
    That's a red flag right there. Your dog should come back when you, as pack leader, tell them to. That's for your benefit as well as the dog.

:D:D:D
    Go and do some research please. There is no such thing as a pack leader. It's all outdated nonsense, pushed by eejits who believe that dogs are wolves. If you believe in it, you're about 20 years behind any canine behavioural studies that have been done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sir Chops wrote: »
    Is this dog on the dangerous list? Should be muzzled at all times if so

No such thing in Ireland. There is a restricted Breeds list though, very different than dangerous breeds list.
    No huskies are not in the restricted breeds list.

Plane wrote: »
    Hunting dogs turning into hunters, who'd have thought!

i agree,that's their instinct, why keep a dog that's bred to work in a family house, if people haven't the space to keep a big worker, hunter dog that can do what comes naturally, then they should buy a poodle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I would never get my dogs put down. No matter who came after me. There family you not going to put down your child or siblings are you ?

:D:D:D
    Go and do some research please. There is no such thing as a pack leader. It's all outdated nonsense, pushed by eejits who believe that dogs are wolves. If you believe in it, you're about 20 years behind any canine behavioural studies that have been done.

Will do. I must pick up some homeopathic remedies and pop into mass on the way home.

• Advertisement

i agree,that's their instinct, why keep a dog that's bred to work in a family house, if people haven't the space to keep a big worker, hunter dog that can do what comes naturally, then they should buy a poodle

Poodles were once working dogs;)

In fact most breeds have a working purpose, they just aren't used any more. Both my dogs are from working stock, but I don't work them. I should I get rid of them based on your analysis :rolleyes:

Why do you think the dog would attack a child next? What relevance has a dog - and in this instance, a breed that has a very high prey drive - that has killed a lamb, got to do with attack a child?? There is no correlation whatsoever.

Tell that to the child in Limerick that got 17 stitches in her head after being attacked by a dog with a very high prey drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭warehouse1

As for showing the dog who's boss, well I can only imagine how you would teach that. :rolleyes: My dogs come back when I call them because they want to, they know they'll get a treat or even just praise, which they love.

Using violence is not the only way to teach a dog who is boss. some of us are actually able to train are dogs properly without violence so that the dog will listen and respect us.

Tell that to the child in Limerick that got 17 stitches in her head after being attacked by a dog with a very high prey drive

And there's a thread all about that here somewhere. Child went up, petted the dog, it growled, yet she petted it again. Then she got bitten. The dog was clearly uncomfortable, and it warned the child, it didn't want to be in the situation but the child wouldn't leave it alone.

I blame the parents - they let a six year old child out playing unsupervised on a evening when it was getting dark, nor did they warn her not to touch strange dogs, or to NOT pet a dog when it growled. They accepted no responsibility whatsoever for their failings on lack of supervision, lack of education, they just took the easy route and blamed the dog.

And a child going up and antagonising a dog is NOT the same as a dog chasing sheep. The lamb didn't exactly come up and start petting the husky now did it?

Poodles were once working dogs;)

In fact most breeds have a working purpose, they just aren't used any more. Both my dogs are from working stock, but I don't work them. I should I get rid of them based on your analysis :rolleyes:

I'd rather be attacked by an 8 inch terrier breed than a 6 stone huskie, I'm not saying people shouldn't have them but should have to prove that they have sufficient space and know how to have such an animal before they get a liscence, I'm sure your a perfectly good dog owner, but the scum bag owner living in a mid terrace council house with a pit bull in a 50 square foot back concrete garden should not be allowed to own a dog like that

warehouse1 wrote: »
    Using violence is not the only way to teach a dog who is boss. some of us are actually able to train are dogs properly without violence so that the dog will listen and respect us.

The best and most effective way of training a dog is by motivating and using positive rewards. The dog is happy to do what you want, it doesn't fear you - as most dogs would if their owner tried to be 'the boss'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Had a relation that was a professional dog trainer that had a great way of explaining himself.
    One night in the pub he was asked how to stop a dog chasing cars. He replied " catch the owner and kick the shyte out of him".

And there's a thread all about that here somewhere. Child went up, petted the dog, it growled, yet she petted it again. Then she got bitten. The dog was clearly uncomfortable, and it warned the child, it didn't want to be in the situation but the child wouldn't leave it alone.

I blame the parents - they let a six year old child out playing unsupervised on a evening when it was getting dark, nor did they warn her not to touch strange dogs, or to NOT pet a dog when it growled. They accepted no responsibility whatsoever for their failings on lack of supervision, lack of education, they just took the easy route and blamed the dog.

And a child going up and antagonising a dog is NOT the same as a dog chasing sheep. The lamb didn't exactly come up and start petting the husky now did it?

But the dog still attacked the child, you blame the children parents but not the dogs owners, maybe the child should be put down by your reasoning, and your saying a child hasn't the right to be out playing in a green area in an urban area in case theirs a big vicious dog about, riiiiiight

But the dog still attacked the child, you blame the children parents but not the dogs owners, maybe the child should be put down by your reasoning, and your saying a child hasn't the right to be out playing in a green area in an urban area in case theirs a big vicious dog about, riiiiiight

Go and read the thread, you're dragging this one off topic I also said the dog owner was at fault but also put the blame partly with the childs parents. The dog shouldn't have been out, but the child created the situation by antagonising him. And the dog warned her off but she didn't heed him.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89456410

• Advertisement

I would never get my dogs put down. No matter who came after me. There family you not going to put down your child or siblings are you ?

Dogs aren't family members, they're dogs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement