Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog killed a lamb today

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

And there's a thread all about that here somewhere. Child went up, petted the dog, it growled, yet she petted it again. Then she got bitten. The dog was clearly uncomfortable, and it warned the child, it didn't want to be in the situation but the child wouldn't leave it alone.

I blame the parents - they let a six year old child out playing unsupervised on a evening when it was getting dark, nor did they warn her not to touch strange dogs, or to NOT pet a dog when it growled. They accepted no responsibility whatsoever for their failings on lack of supervision, lack of education, they just took the easy route and blamed the dog.

And a child going up and antagonising a dog is NOT the same as a dog chasing sheep. The lamb didn't exactly come up and start petting the husky now did it?

Do you have kids or are your dogs your 'babies'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Go and read the thread, you're dragging this one off topic I also said the dog owner was at fault but also put the blame partly with the childs parents. The dog shouldn't have been out, but the child created the situation by antagonising him. And the dog warned her off but she didn't heed him.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89456410

The only one dragging this thread off topic is you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

. The lamb didn't exactly come up and start petting the husky now did it?

By that reasoning dogs only attack when antagonised,so how did the lamb upset the dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

guys i appreciate all points of view on this but we are moving off topic somewhat im not a mod just the op and i prefer if we kept the opinions to the questions asked at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

The only one dragging this thread off topic is you.

Report my posts if you think I'm dragging it off topic so. Although maybe if you read back you'll see I wasn't the one who brought up the Limerick incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

mordeith wrote: »
    Do you have kids or are your dogs your 'babies'?

My dogs are part of my family. Whether I have children or not isn't your concern. Nor is it anything to do with this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

puddles22 wrote: »
    guys i appreciate all points of view on this but we are moving off topic somewhat im not a mod just the op and i prefer if we kept the opinions to the questions asked at the start.

I dont think there's much ya can do OP but wait and see if the farmer calms down and leaves it at compensation for the lamb and promise of keeping the dog locked up.

I doubt it will go any further than that. But you can be sure if he's upset this time, if the dog ever gets out again he's a goner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

I dont think there's much ya can do OP but wait and see if the farmer calms down and leaves it at compensation for the lamb and promise of keeping the dog locked up.

I doubt it will go any further than that. But you can be sure if he's upset this time, if the dog ever gets out again he's a goner.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I blame the parents - they let a six year old child out playing unsupervised on a evening when it was getting dark.......

To stay on topic, in this case:

I blame the ewe. Swanning about with nothing on her mind only fresh grass and tipping.
    It's a disgrace. And don't get me started on the Ram. Bleeding freeloader!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

OP you have done as much as you can for the moment. You put your hands up and admitted the kill you.offered compensation - that may not be enough for the farmer he may want the dog destroyed but now that your dog.is back.at home I don't know if he has any powers to do this. It's a terrible situation the farmer has a right to be angry and worried now about the ramifications on his flock.

If the land is commonage he has every right to let his sheep roam.

I have had neighbours cattle in my garden leaving the garden destroyed and not even an apology even after helping round them up - the same neighbour gave out because my dog barked at the cattle from behind a very badly fenced feild - sometimes you can't win having dogs as pets in a rural area.

Some farmers treat their working dogs appallingly I have seen this and have two rescues because of it - I know my generalisations will receive critics - but livelihood is more important to farmers who are struggling to make a living and I can sympathise with that too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

whupdedo wrote: »
    Dogs aren't family members, they're dogs.

They are dogs yes but there part of family. They sleep in are beds if they are on the couch we go on the floor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

A brief glance at this thread makes me think that it's entering the realms of complete train crash. I'm closing it now for a mod review.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay folks,
    I was thinking I'd re-open this thread having read through it, but given the amount of flaming, back-seat moderation, off-topic posting, and general bullsh!ttery, I'm going to leave it locked as I don't believe it will go back on-topic, and remain there.
    OP, I believe that you've achieved all that you're going to achieve via this thread: amongst all the mentalist posts are some posts containing the information you need to know.
    I wish you luck,
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement