Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seagull outboard

• 22-03-2014 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

hi guy,s . I got my hands on a seagull outboard its running fine well seems to . to me what I want to do is polish and clean it up what would be the best way to get all the chrome back to normal condition also where can I get a pull core for it @ the moment I am using a bit of rope I would like to get this to showroom condition any advice welcome . I will get photo,s of it up tomorrow .

ps . fergal your input here would be brilliant any advice ?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Nice little project, you can get soft metal polishing kits in Halfords that fit onto a drill these will look after the aluminium and brass or if you have a bench polisher even better, if you wanted to save a bit of time but spend a bit of money you could get it vapour blasted to a fairly good finish. I don't think there is much chrome on them just the throttle leaver just as well as there is no good place in Ireland does rechroming so if it doesn't clean you would have to send it to the UK or buy a new one. For parts these guy's can get you anything https://www.facebook.com/ClassicSeagulls/photos_stream
    They do look very nice when they are done.

peter%2520knolls%2520century.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

any place that does lawnmowers will sell you proper cord for pull starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 malhiggins

Morning Fergal.

I just inherited a seagull outboard , serial number FPC1723AA9, which according the SOS website it is dated January 1979. There is no spark at the plug and I was told it may be the points which are not opening. Are the points located in the top pan beside the pull cord and do the rivets have to drill out to get access to the points. Any help you could give to this matter would be gratefully appreciated How do I successfully uploaded a photo of the seagull.

Malachy

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

To get at the points you might have to remove the flywheel or if you have a cover on it you can get at them through the gap in the flywheel, have a look at my post on the 102 it might be of some help http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90589511
    The arm on the brass cap moves to the side allowing you to take the cap off and the points are in there. Just before you start stripping it down if the engine has been sitting for a long time it might just need to be charged up I do this by taking out the spark plug and then with a socket that fits the big nut on the flywheel connected to an electric drill spin the engine over for a few min's and it should charge up and give a spark.

20140603_090444.jpg

malhiggins wrote: »
    Morning Fergal.

I just inherited a seagull outboard , serial number FPC1723AA9, which according the SOS website it is dated January 1979. There is no spark at the plug and I was told it may be the points which are not opening. Are the points located in the top pan beside the pull cord and do the rivets have to drill out to get access to the points. Any help you could give to this matter would be gratefully appreciated How do I successfully uploaded a photo of the seagull.

Malachy

You need to have 50 posts to be able to post photos, If you like you can pm me the photo and I will put it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 malhiggins

Hi. Fergal.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know how to PM is it possible to send the seagull photo to an email address.

Malachy

Advertisement