Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby will not stop

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

OP hope the solids help to fill him for longer. Lots of my suggestions have been mentioned already - room too hot/cold, blankets vs gro bags (my two sleep better with cellular blankets than gro bags).

Just wondering what type of crying it is when he wakes? Is it definitely hunger? How long does he cry for? Is it a whingey cry, or a high pitched squeal, a whimper or what? Because lots of babies wake regularly but if he is crying in a distressed manner or if its screaming crying or he is very unsettled and wide awake I don't think its hunger. Does he settle back to sleep easily after a feed?

my only other thought was re:mums supply. Is she possibly over or under supplying? Because either one would cause babs to get hungry quicker. Introduction of a formula bottle at night or even solids won't help if he isn't filling up on milk feeds. The first few weeksof solids are really only learning texture taste and swallowing and you only give a few spoons. It can take a while for it to build to enough to fill him.

my friend has had oversupply of milk on all 4 of her babies and had a similar sleep pattern to you - every 2-3 hours. Her oversupply meant too much foremilk and not enough of the filling hindmilk. On her first two she thought something was wrong with baby or her and gave up bf at 6 weeks both times as babies were not gaining enough weight. but by the third baby third baby she had the help of a great lactation consultant and she accepted that if she wanted to breastfeed she would have to just surrender to the regular feeding. This meant co sleeping safely, basically wearing baby in a sling most of the day so he could feed easily and she wasn't tied to the sofa most of the day, pumping one breast while he feeds on the other so that when she swapped him over he would be starting on hindmilk on that side. For her breastfeeding was that important that she accepted the 3 hourly feeds. Hats off to her cod I wouldn't want to do it.

a sleep consultant might not be a bad idea either. Not to sleep train baby as he is still very young but to sleep train mam and dad! I know a few people who used them and were amazed by the results a few small changes and techniques made. For one baby they went to sleeping 8 hrs straight simply by moving the cot and changing the blankets.

Finally you say he doesn't have reflux but I assume you also know about silent reflux? Not all reflux is puking, both my girls have silent acid reflux which made them feed more regularly and sleep badly. Once we got that diagnosed and treated they changed overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I didn't notice solids affected sleeping through but the breastfeed schedule got easier. I honestly would hold off a bit longer. Their little digestive systems are still developing. It is hard but babies sleep through when they're ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Hello

As I write this, I'm awake yet again. Our baby is just 4 months old. He does not have any sickness and is healthy, normal weight etc. he is very well looked after ( in fact I think too well looked after - we do everything we can for him ) Our doctor and health nurse say he is perfectly healthy. He does not have colic or reflux.

This is our first baby, he is being breast fed and sometimes we mix in bottles.

In the 4 months, the longest he has slept non stop is max 3 hours. It's just getting ridiculous at this stage, every fookin night, it's the same thing, in the cot, sleep for an hour or 2, then bloody crying again.

I know babies for the first while are a bit unsettled but after 3 or 4 months, I was expecting some slight settling down.

We have tried different cots, tried his pram, with him in the bed etc and still no good.

My friends have babies of a similar age and they seem to get 6 hours stretches or even more.

He is totally taking our lives over, yes I know that's what they do but this lad hasn't given us one half decent night in 4 months. It's seriously driving us insane.

Does this seem normal ?

I'm wondering is there something wrong with him.

I had more or less the same problem, I got my son Amber beads for his foot. Has slept the whole night since. He had a bit of baby eczema as well and it seems to clear up. The place I bought them was I love Amber on facebook. Its not to everyone's taste but I believe they worked for me and their ones are safer than others you buy of the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

i think its hunger,we have a 4 month old and were having the same issuewith him waking every 3 hours until last week, we started a different routine and he is now sleeping through the nite, our's is fed at 7am, 11 am, 3pm and 7pm ( all 8 ounce bottles) and we give him a dreamfeed ( in the cot , dont wake him up) at 11pm (3 or 4 ounces), now he sleeps pretty much through the nite until about half 6, i dont think solids are the answer, dreamfeed is the key and during the nite if he cries pick him up but put him straight back down when he stops, all of the above is from the baby whisperer, great book

Advertisement