Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

positive beginnings

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

DAWID123 wrote: »
    Hello my name Andrew,I came to Ireland in 2006,In 2006 I LIVE IN NEWBRIDGE.For 6 months I went there for aa meetings in Newbridge.It is not true that in aa around the world are the same rights meetings AA ..Am from Poland i live now in Dublin.I went yesterday to Newbridge ,where I lived in 2006.I found yesterday ,my frend from AA Irish meeting died a few weeks earlier In the house where I lived, people drank alcohol and did fracas.THIS WAS MY WORST PERIOD IN LIFE.I ASKED FOR HELP PEOPLE With AA,WHEN I LOOKING FOR JOB.NOBODY DID NOT HELPED.PEOPLE FROM AA NEWBRIDGE WAS DEAF AND BLIND!!!.PEOPLE FROM AA NEWBRIDGE IGNORED ME AND MY FRIEND FROM POLAND.LUDZIE Z AA NEWBRIDGE WAS VERY IMPORTANT .TODAY WE KNOW THAT THERE UNWELCOME FOREIGNERS IN MEETINGS AA NEWBRIDGE.After 8 years when I LIVE IN iRELAND I WANT COME BACK TO MY COUNTRY.12 STEPS PROGRAM IS ONLY ON MEETINGS AA .AFTER MEETING I DONT SEE FRIEND FROM AA.PEOPLE FROM AA ARE LIARS.AM SOBER FOR 12 YEARS .THANK YOU IRELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you found the meetings tough because you can't string together a sensible English sentence. Maybe you mistaked 'feeling unwelcome' with just the fact that other people probably hadn't a clue what you were on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KeefF

userod wrote: »
    Maybe you found the meetings tough because you can't string together a sensible English sentence. Maybe you mistaked 'feeling unwelcome' with just the fact that other people probably hadn't a clue what you were on about.

I understand where the OP is coming from. I attended AA for over a year and was really surprised with the lack of interaction and explicit support. I have to admit that it took me a long time to open up at meetings and while this did help, I never found people very welcoming. I attended a meeting in the City Centre and I found aspects very clique (y). It obviously works well for a lot of people and certain people find it easy to integrate but that has not been my experience. As I said aspects of that experience are my responsibility but not everyone has the same experience and I personally would be reluctant to diminish anyone's experience due to their ability to "string together a sensible English sentence"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

userod wrote: »

Irony ;)

Also, bit harsh there, no? I understood the point he was making.. compassion is a universal language.. he shouldn't have been left feeling unwelcome at his meetings imo.

xzanti wrote: »
    Irony ;)

Also, bit harsh there, no? I understood the point he was making.. compassion is a universal language.. he shouldn't have been left feeling unwelcome at his meetings imo.

This is true. I am Irish but if I was in Poland and not from there and had an abuse problem I would like to think that if my Polish wasn't the best I wouldn't be ignored just cause I couldn't speak the language the best. Being honest I know everyone has their own methods of quitting but I do think that there is better methods than A.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭souls

Stay the path. meditation is medication. Daily Exercise and eat healthily. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

hubba wrote: »
    I don't think we can expect others to understand. And maybe understand is the wrong word. I know when I was a drinker, my mind was closed shut to the idea of life without alcohol. Shut firmly and that meant that all non drinkers were a species to be wary of and on occasion, to ridicule. These feelings of mine (and I know other drinkers are like this) were based on denial and fear. I can see that clearly now but I do remember how closed my mind was and how I avoided non drinkers like the plague.

And yes, I have been hurt by comments from those who I thought were friends about me being 'boring' and when was I going to stop this and start drinking again. Hurt that they weren't bothering to try to understand what a huge deal it was to me but then again, they were pub friends. Family have also been guilty of looking at me, bemused, wondering why I don't drink but not daring to ask. At this stage I just have to tell myself that this is my journey and I have to travel it alone. I am doing it for myself so can't expect anyone to tell me how well I'm doing (except all of you here, who keep me sane). I am the only one who lives inside my head and that is where it matters at the end of the day.

It may help to turn it around and feel compassion for drinkers as they are still in the dark whereas we have discovered a secret. The secret to REAL life. This sounds lofty, and any drinkers reading this - cue your scathing laugh - but there's no other way of putting it.. I feel like my life before sobriety was all somehow fake. So maybe try to be 'understanding' of your drinking friends, without being patronising and just try to accept them for who they are, just like you would like them to accept you. :)

I went to a fresh start clinic last week and was amazed to hear that alcohol damage can be accumulative, I always thought if you drink then detox via exercise, sauna etc that you'll be grand. The doc suggested going on a detox (I'm a moderate drinker), not sure if I could give it up fully though. I had 5 pints last night and felt awful today, it was spent mostly in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Arbing dog

Hi all. I've been browsing boards all morning reading up in these topics and overall I found this one great. For the last 5 years I have struggled with alcohol abuse, I went from a sports mad nice guy to a nuisance that had lost the respect of many people. Only a few days ago I hit rock bottom after a binge of drinking and drugs. I tried to take my own life and luckily I failed. I had drove everyone who cared about me away but thankfully when I needed my family they were there for me. I know I'm along way off being cured, but I was hoping if anyone here could offer any advice it would be most appreciated. Here's to a clean living 2015 where hopefully I can build back up the bridges I've burned down over the last few years.

Arbing dog wrote: »
    Hi all. I've been browsing boards all morning reading up in these topics and overall I found this one great. For the last 5 years I have struggled with alcohol abuse, I went from a sports mad nice guy to a nuisance that had lost the respect of many people. Only a few days ago I hit rock bottom after a binge of drinking and drugs. I tried to take my own life and luckily I failed. I had drove everyone who cared about me away but thankfully when I needed my family they were there for me. I know I'm along way off being cured, but I was hoping if anyone here could offer any advice it would be most appreciated. Here's to a clean living 2015 where hopefully I can build back up the bridges I've burned down over the last few years.[/QUOTE

Well Thankfully you didn't your own life Arbing dog! As they say … "A permanent solution to a temporary problem" .. is not the answer! The human being has a inert instinct to survive. You have proved this.

Sorry I've only seen this now, but there are always people out there that care, Im delighted to hear your family are there for you! that should be of great comfort to you!

My Advice to you,is to start small, you have already made the first step by posting on here!and that alone is a great achievement.!:)
    It is just through little steps that you will make that "big" change!

I recommend exercise,meditation,healthy eating as but a few guidelines but please dont hesitate to pm me if u want to talk more!

happy christmas to you and yours! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭gmarty

I came to AA 13 years ago in limerick I struggled to get in with the crowd for years and did find it cliquey and I was a person terrified of meeting new faces. Yet after many failed attempts and not knowing anyone from limerick it finally dawned on me, it was up to me to get up off my backside and make my presence known. I came half hour before the meeting and hung around a hour afterwards, people began to take notice and I haven't looked back since. I realised it's up to me and no one else to make my recovery work, and Iv applied the same routine to many other rooms and it works. One can make all the excuses and play the blame game all they want of why AA didn't work for them, if u want to sort ur ****e out one must find that desire within themselves and go to any lengths to get a decent quality of life.! God Bless AA and the people of limerick for giveing me a life worth living today.

Im glad what works for you gmarty, works for you. :)

Stay the course.

• Advertisement

There's a good article by Pádraig O'Morain in today's Irish Times encouraging people to give up alcohol for the new year: That’s men: Keep yourself active, eat regularly and you can give up the drink (can't link here). There's a lot of wisdom such as the role of boredom and being conscious of the association between hunger and alcohol.

He also recommends a book by by somebody named Jason Vale, entitled Kick the drink . . . Easily!. It has got some excellent reviews over on Amazon. Anybody find it useful?

souls wrote: »
    Hi all. I've been browsing boards all morning reading up in these topics and overall I found this one great. For the last 5 years I have struggled with alcohol abuse, I went from a sports mad nice guy to a nuisance that had lost the respect of many people. Only a few days ago I hit rock bottom after a binge of drinking and drugs. I tried to take my own life and luckily I failed. I had drove everyone who cared about me away but thankfully when I needed my family they were there for me. I know I'm along way off being cured, but I was hoping if anyone here could offer any advice it would be most appreciated. Here's to a clean living 2015 where hopefully I can build back up the bridges I've burned down over the last few years.[/QUOTE

Well Thankfully you didn't your own life Arbing dog! As they say … "A permanent solution to a temporary problem" .. is not the answer! The human being has a inert instinct to survive. You have proved this.

Sorry I've only seen this now, but there are always people out there that care, Im delighted to hear your family are there for you! that should be of great comfort to you!

My Advice to you,is to start small, you have already made the first step by posting on here!and that alone is a great achievement.!:)
    It is just through little steps that you will make that "big" change!

I recommend exercise,meditation,healthy eating as but a few guidelines but please dont hesitate to pm me if u want to talk more!

happy christmas to you and yours! :)

Thanks for your reply souls, it means a lot. I haven't touched a drop yet and I must say I've had my best Christmas in years. Looking forward to getting fit and eating right in the new year. I know it's a cliche to say that at this time of year but what the hell :). I'm also looking forward to getting back into some of my old passions and past times. Here's to onwards and upwards. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

There's a good article by Pádraig O'Morain in today's Irish Times encouraging people to give up alcohol for the new year: That’s men: Keep yourself active, eat regularly and you can give up the drink (can't link here). There's a lot of wisdom such as the role of boredom and being conscious of the association between hunger and alcohol.

He also recommends a book by by somebody named Jason Vale, entitled Kick the drink . . . Easily!. It has got some excellent reviews over on Amazon. Anybody find it useful?

Did that guy start a thread on here a while ago offering to send his book to people?

So if i stay sober do i stay single!?? …… (actual genuine question)

Im back on the saddle and feeling much better for it, but i have noticed that when the booze goes so do the ladies :(

Im back on the saddle and feeling much better for it, but i have noticed that when the booze goes so do the ladies :(

I don't think that's the case souls. It might just seen like that for a while. Stick at it and everything will fall into place lad. I find im better at talking to women sober once I pluck up the courage.

Mind racing ahead of itself as usual, feel like **** as usual, wish i could fast forward a few weeks. feel god awful. I know this is normal though.. bleugh.

I suspect staying single might be best for you until you conquer the drink, or at least feel safer from it. Try and keep your life as simple and uncomplicated as possible until you feel stronger. Sorting out you should be your priority until then. There are a lot of blessings in being single when tackling addiction; you have the freedom to do so many spiritual, life-changing things and adventures which might not be possible in a serious relationship. Walk the Camino de Santiago? Nepal? Spend time in a monastery of your choice? The possibilities are endless. Make the most of the freedom of your single days.

I suspect staying single might be best for you until you conquer the drink, or at least feel safer from it. Try and keep your life as simple and uncomplicated as possible until you feel stronger. Sorting out you should be your priority until then. There are a lot of blessings in being single when tackling addiction; you have the freedom to do so many spiritual, life-changing things and adventures which might not be possible in a serious relationship. Walk the Camino de Santiago? Nepal? Spend time in a monastery of your choice? The possibilities are endless. Make the most of the freedom of your single days.

Solid advice! Thanks Anamcheasta :)

I forgot how much like an Anti-Christ one becomes when stopping drinking. A place to go for the first 30 days,out away from society would be a dream come true for me,but i dont have that luxury.. so its into ****ing work where I'm surrounded by ****ing alcohol for 8 ****ing hours!great.

I forgot how much like an Anti-Christ one becomes when stopping drinking. A place to go for the first 30 days,out away from society would be a dream come true for me,but i dont have that luxury.. so its into ****ing work where I'm surrounded by ****ing alcohol for 8 ****ing hours!great.

I can really empathise with you souls, you have a lit more will power than me. The longest I've stayed off drink was 11 days in the last 15 years. I've made many attempts, even sought help, but it never works. I do shiftwork too and need something to help me sleep on my rest days.

• Advertisement

Well today would have been all too easy to grab beers after work and say to hell with it! but sure at least i had an element of mindfulness and indeed experience from before to recognize a trigger a mile off! i was just tired after work and a bit hungry too.
    So at least I'm on my toes now and taking this one day at a time. Im a bit of a moody bollox at the minute too but sure that comes with the territory! id be 3 weeks in had i not had that slip alas I'm only 1 week in now but sure just needed that as a reminder as to why i cannot drink anymore.

Well today would have been all too easy to grab beers after work and say to hell with it! but sure at least i had an element of mindfulness and indeed experience from before to recognize a trigger a mile off! i was just tired after work and a bit hungry too.
    So at least I'm on my toes now and taking this one day at a time. Im a bit of a moody bollox at the minute too but sure that comes with the territory! id be 3 weeks in had i not had that slip alas I'm only 1 week in now but sure just needed that as a reminder as to why i cannot drink anymore.

Keep at it souls. I was 5 weeks sober yesterday and while it's been hard just taking a minute to sit down and realise it makes it feel great. I've even had to overcome a family wedding in those few weeks which wasn't easy. At the end of the day it's about playing the long game and getting over each day as it comes. Keep the chin up lad ðŸ‘

Keep at it souls. I was 5 weeks sober yesterday and while it's been hard just taking a minute to sit down and realise it makes it feel great. I've even had to overcome a family wedding in those few weeks which wasn't easy. At the end of the day it's about playing the long game and getting over each day as it comes. Keep the chin up lad ðŸ‘

Well done Arbing dog! you're doing great :)
    Ahh yea the weddings are a pain tbh, i have one to attend next month myself!Fair play to you for getting through it!! ive done them sober in the past myself so i can do it again.

I was fairly heavy with the drinking there before so the withdrawal at the minute is quite uncomfortable to say the least, Im normally extremely active. i.e running,weights,etc. but I've had to stop for the week as my body is in bits..

Sure its all about focussing on the here and now. Doing what needs to be done day by day. if i need to rest right now so be it. things will get better. just looking forward to getting decent daylight between me and my last drink so i can take the next step!

8 days in, sorry if I'm annoying people by posting all the time, just good to vent! particularly at this early stage!
    Drinking copious amounts of coffee,but will be switching back to herbal teas soon, just letting the "come down" off the gargle settle down. Trained yesterday for the first time since stopping, put myself through the paces so feeling a good kind of tired tonight!

A place to go for the first 30 days,out away from society would be a dream come true for me,but i dont have that luxury

You'd be surprised, souls, how you could get away for that time if you make it a priority. I was similarly unable to take time off (primarily for financial reasons) but I needed the "me" time badly. So, I looked at a way to get that month as cheaply as possible and I walked all 800km of the Camino de Santiago very cheaply (between €5 and €10 per night for accommodation).

In Ireland, I know from my searches at that time, that a number of monasteries still offer people a spiritual space to get away from the world quite cheaply and some will leave it up to you how much you want to donate. Very few people know about this option but I'm sure there are other similarly cost-effective choices (actually this could be a good idea for a thread). To get away you don't need to spend thousands on a retreat, is what I'm saying.

Failing that, perhaps mindfulness training might help you through this difficult initial period? I find branches of existential philosophy - Heidegger at the moment - helpful to me these days and compatible with the mindfulness idea of appreciating living in the moment and making a point of noticing more about the world around me. I think I might be finally getting, in my own meandering way, to Realies oft-spoken idea in this forum of gratitude for being among the living.

How long were you sober before you did all that anamcheasta, just out of interest? At the minute I'm keeping it simple as you say, just meeting basic needs. eating well,sleeping and exercise.. But certainly food for thought down the road. I think it's something that i would benefit from greatly..

Mindfulness is something I'm working on... ill look up that existential philosophy that you suggest :)

I have some time off in a week or two for a few days so it might be a chance to look up some places in ireland..

Thanks for the advice :)

At the minute I'm keeping it simple as you say, just meeting basic needs. eating well,sleeping and exercise.. But certainly food for thought down the road. I think it's something that i would benefit from greatly..

Mindfulness is something I'm working on... ill look up that existential philosophy that you suggest :)

I have some time off in a week or two for a few days so it might be a chance to look up some places in ireland..

Thanks for the advice :)

Exercise is fantastic, not least because you'll be tired after it and you won't have time to be thinking of alcohol (see below). Additionally, if you didn't want to just soak in the colour of life and nature and focus on your breathing on your walks/runs, you could download some good self-help resources from free audiobook websites like Librivox and listen to them on your Ipod. At the very least, they'll be a distraction. At best they'll offer you a new, more productive way of thinking about life. Or, at least I find it beneficial in that regard.
    Another thing I find beneficial in helping me to change old modes of thinking is to listen to new types of music. It might be worth exploring music as a way towards solace and growth. I've gone through everything from Andean panpipe to Ludovico Einaudi to Vivaldi to Portishead to Spanish Renaissance music to Dustin O'Halloran. I've discovered music I never would have listened to in languages I would never have considered (Lyric FM on an evening can be very good for introducing me to new classical and world music).
    How long were you sober before you did all that anamcheasta, just out of interest?

I had been drinking the week before - or at least "normally" - immediately prior to doing the Camino Francés. I decided not to drink on the Camino as I was determined to walk all 800km as a sort of spiritual rebirth from St Jean Pied de Port in southwest France to Santiago de Compostela in Galicia come hell or high water and I knew with the cheap drink I would be lucky to make it to Pamplona (c. 75km from St Jean). Complete ban on drink, then.

Not drinking actually worked out perfectly because it was so hot I just needed to drink water constantly to dehydrate and obviously alcohol would have made things worse in terms of hydration. But, even more than that, I was so completely knackered every single day (and in pain for the first two weeks with blisters and the like) that all I wanted to do after resting my feet in a basin of water for an hour or so was to fall asleep. With the physical pain, I didn't miss drink at all (I'm sure there's a deeper lesson there about abstinence!). I lost 15kg on it, spent some spiritual time in the 6th century Benedictine monastery in Samos to soak up the famous Gregorian chant and felt light as a feather by the time I walked into Santiago. Although I walked it in summer they say April or September are the best months for walking as it's not too hot then. I think if you try and change your thinking and, as far as possible, your environment, keeping off drink gets easier.

Im going to see an alcohol clinic counselor tomorrow, hope its a success.

Exercise is fantastic, not least because you'll be tired after it and you won't have time to be thinking of alcohol (see below). Additionally, if you didn't want to just soak in the colour of life and nature and focus on your breathing on your walks/runs, you could download some good self-help resources from free audiobook websites like Librivox and listen to them on your Ipod. At the very least, they'll be a distraction. At best they'll offer you a new, more productive way of thinking about life. Or, at least I find it beneficial in that regard.
    Another thing I find beneficial in helping me to change old modes of thinking is to listen to new types of music. It might be worth exploring music as a way towards solace and growth. I've gone through everything from Andean panpipe to Ludovico Einaudi to Vivaldi to Portishead to Spanish Renaissance music to Dustin O'Halloran. I've discovered music I never would have listened to in languages I would never have considered (Lyric FM on an evening can be very good for introducing me to new classical and world music).

I had been drinking the week before - or at least "normally" - immediately prior to doing the Camino Francés. I decided not to drink on the Camino as I was determined to walk all 800km as a sort of spiritual rebirth from St Jean Pied de Port in southwest France to Santiago de Compostela in Galicia come hell or high water and I knew with the cheap drink I would be lucky to make it to Pamplona (c. 75km from St Jean). Complete ban on drink, then.

Not drinking actually worked out perfectly because it was so hot I just needed to drink water constantly to dehydrate and obviously alcohol would have made things worse in terms of hydration. But, even more than that, I was so completely knackered every single day (and in pain for the first two weeks with blisters and the like) that all I wanted to do after resting my feet in a basin of water for an hour or so was to fall asleep. With the physical pain, I didn't miss drink at all (I'm sure there's a deeper lesson there about abstinence!). I lost 15kg on it, spent some spiritual time in the 6th century Benedictine monastery in Samos to soak up the famous Gregorian chant and felt light as a feather by the time I walked into Santiago. Although I walked it in summer they say April or September are the best months for walking as it's not too hot then. I think if you try and change your thinking and, as far as possible, your environment, keeping off drink gets easier.

Well i have integrated exercise into my life since last year, i am extremely active and have benefitted greatly from it! however i still fell off the wagon, i was doing weights training in the morning,then going to work,and then 5 to 10 k runs every evening and still finding myself drinking before bed. so it wasn't a full fix for me unfortunately. But then again i didn't want to give up then… i suppose, despite one slip, i have been able to stay off it when i wanted too.

music helps a lot for sure,i do like classical.. i always play my 'sounds of nature' playlist… Im always listening to rain and storms.. jesus if people knew that they'd think I'm a nut haha,but sure if it helps!why not?

I think drinking has stripped away a lot of my confidence as well as desire,heart and passion for life.. I'm a shell of a human really just existing as apposed to living and its a ****ing damn shame! A young lad in the prime of his life,unable to leave the house for the most part and too numb to talk or feel.
    If drink was a person id knock the ****ing **** out of him for doing this to me!
    I wonder if anyone has ever got sober through revenge..? a lot of people took advantage of me when i was drinking and this will never sit easy with me..but that was then…i have cut negative agents out of my life..its funny how after i did that the only people i have is my family… anyway i digress .. apologies

The camino!yes, i have heard only great things! but 800kms!?what?really you walked that distance!?jesus thats some going,fair play. how long did it take you? I can't drink in the heat anyway myself so it probably would be good to do in the summer too!although id need me factor!ha
    Were you with a group or by yourself?just wondering how you managed accommodation etc? did you need a lot of money?
    Ive interests in all things culture.. spirituality maybe not as much however I'm a very open minded person and respect other peoples beliefs. id say it was an amazing experience?

• Advertisement

lufties wrote: »
    Im going to see an alcohol clinic counselor tomorrow, hope its a success.

Let us know how you get on lufties! Best of luck :)

Advertisement