Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This gets up my goat .....

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Hospital staff see so many parents and babies that it's probably easier for them to use baby, mum and dad, rather than trying to remember everyone's names and getting them wrong.

You think that's bad, the other day at the doctors, he kept interchangeably referring to my baby as "he" or "she". :mad: No one else has ever mistaken him for a girl! And for once he was even wearing all blue (I never usually dress him in blue), with a blue blanket as well, now of course that's not to say that girls can't wear blue, but still ... he does not look at all like a girl!

(OK, in fairness, I would've said before that all newborns, male or female, look the same ... but he had our files in front of us, and he's got 100% a boy's name, not one of those ambiguous ones!)

He also kept referring to my boyfriend as Troy instead of Rob ... :confused: I corrected him the first few times, then left him at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Hospital staff see so many parents and babies that it's probably easier for them to use baby, mum and dad, rather than trying to remember everyone's names and getting them wrong.

Read the chart. As mentioned earlier if you're a patient for any other reason you get called by your name. If it can be done then why is it any different after you've had a baby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Read the chart. As mentioned earlier if you're a patient for any other reason you get called by your name. If it can be done then why is it any different after you've had a baby?
    I dunno, was just giving a possible explanation. I haven't had a baby but I have been a patient and my name was above the bed. Is it the same for mothers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I dunno, was just giving a possible explanation. I haven't had a baby but I have been a patient and my name was above the bed. Is it the same for mothers?

I'm only travelling this road for the first time as this is my first pregnancy so I don't actually know why doctors (and nurses but not to the same extent) call the parents mum and dad rather than using their names.
    I do work in a hospital though and the name above the bed has been discontinued for a while now to allow for greater privacy for the patient. Still though the patients are called by their name not the reason they are in the hospital for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I could handle the whole "mum, dad, baby" thing but one thing that bugged meand i don't know if it something that all midwives/doctors say when they come around to see you after you've had your baby is "what did you get?"(as in boy or girl?)I know its probably better than what did you have, but I just found it so funny. Sounds like ya just popped down to the hospital shop and "got" it!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement