Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert nightmare

• 22-03-2014 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi I dunno if this is the right thing to postherebit anyway ...

I'm doing the leaving cert in roughly 3 months and I really worried that I won't get into college . Sometimes I think I should defer but I need to get a place first.
    My mock results weren't good .. Failed Ds and a few Cs. I still have slight hope that's there's time but not really .
    I feel really worried all the time and I'm kinda quite in school. I feel the teachers are too concerned with the future doctors and don't notice the people that are struggling . I don't think I'm depressed but I feel really anxious upset and scared about what might or might not happen. ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 shedu

First things first about feeling anxious, upset and scared. It's normal you should feel very alone in school because the teachers are more concerned with A grade students. But go onto twitter and do a search for 'leavingcert' or 'sraith' and you will see there are many students in the country at their wits end with stress and pressure. You are not alone although you feel it.

Second, you can get into college. Take the pressure off by putting down a few low point banker courses near the end of your CAO - but ones you will be interested in. If you have a particular degree or diploma in mind, there are other ways of achieving this than getting the leaving cert points. If you miss out on a degree place, you can enter a diploma first and then transfer later on. You end up with the same qualification at the end of the day. Look into all your college options.

Third, you still have time to pass all your subjects and improve every grade. When you are feeling anxious it is very easy to have a scatterbrain approach to studying. Go through past exam papers and marking schemes on www.examinations.ie and it will give your study a structure. Seeing that your are progressing will give you positive thoughts.

Give it your best shot. That's all anyone can ask. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The first thing you can do is talk to your teachers and ask for their guidance. No matter what your reputation may or may not be teachers will be delighted to help you. Start at the beginning of every course. Don't just stare blankly at pages either. Make notes and practice exam papers. When your finished studying a topic make sure you have some way ( even if you think it's completely silly) of remembering the information long term. What kind of points are you looking for out of interest? and what subjects are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 India7

I got 260 points in my mocks and that was with failing two subjects, I'm starting to worry that there is no hope in me passing irish and maths, I only need a pass in them though, does anyone have any advise for me please, I need 300 to get into a NUI :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

India7 wrote: »
    I got 260 points in my mocks and that was with failing two subjects, I'm starting to worry that there is no hope in me passing irish and maths, I only need a pass in them though, does anyone have any advise for me please, I need 300 to get into a NUI :(
    • Make sure you find out where you lost your marks and try and address any areas you can from that.
    • Do not leave any exam early.
    • Make sure you read the question and answer what you are actually being asked.
    • Pick a specific topic and study it. Then move on to the next one. Don't just look at all you have to do and give up.
    300 is the average mark in the LC. There are plenty who do worse and still get into college. There are also plenty of courses if you are willing to travel that require less points (because they are less in demand in the rush to cities).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 shedu

India7 wrote: »
    I'm starting to worry that there is no hope in me passing irish and maths :(

Just to give an example, if you have DCU on your CAO, you don't have to pass irish if you pass english to gain entry to DCU (assuming you get the points).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Macldublin

Thanks everybody for replying .. I think it'll be okay now that the orals are over I'm not so freaked out :)
    Still obvs have to study had but I'm relaxed now so that makes it easier

Anyhow thanks again. I hope you all get what you want if your doing the LC this year too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Times have changed since my day. During my LC, the teachers tended to leave the stronger students to do their own thing, and focused on those who were struggling. I wonder if the publication of these feeder school tables has led to a change of focus, or if my school just had a different ethos. But to the OP, you've plenty of time yet, think Spurious said it best though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Times have changed since my day. During my LC, the teachers tended to leave the stronger students to do their own thing, and focused on those who were struggling. I wonder if the publication of these feeder school tables has led to a change of focus, or if my school just had a different ethos. But to the OP, you've plenty of time yet, think Spurious said it best though.

From my experience teachers in LC focus on the future doctors and rocket scientists and forget about everyone else. Then there are some teachers who waste too much time on students who don't care about the LC and have no intention of going to college.

As for the league tables and all that rubbish are grossly over-rated. In this day and age there are still schools who cherry-pick students who they think will do well and don't have time for students with learning disabilities. Of course a higher percentage of students from these schools will go to college. Also, these tables don't take into account how many students actually finish college. My school scores well in these tables but I know at least 12 people who started college and have packed it in already.

Advertisement