Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    :D

Considering that Baltimore tends to lose every one run game they're involved in, it might get take 10 innings today... :P

Baltimore were the kings of One Run Games just two years ago!
    http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/52583/os-defy-history-with-another-one-run-win

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

They might want to start the comeback earlier today as they've an extra run to get!

They took your advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Surely we can't throw this one away as well?? I haven't recovered from yesterday yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Benimar wrote: »
    Surely we can't throw this one away as well?? I haven't recovered from yesterday yet!

Getting dodgy now alright.

Got out of jail there. Big base running blunder by the RS there.

• Advertisement

Yeah a misread sign to be sure.

But.

If you learned one thing about the 2013 sox it's that they like the drama.

Watch, DO will hit a 2 out HR in the ninth. ;)

Big time. Was looking very ominous. Hopefully Hunter doesn't chuck it away now.

Big time. Was looking very ominous. Hopefully Hunter does chuck it away now.

Fixed it ^^^

;)

3 run HR coming up?

EDIT - make that grand slam as they're walking Papi.

Woooooo.

Let's go Red Sox!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've changed to the Baltimore TV broadcast just to see how they might react if the Red Sox get the win.

Jaysus the tension is mad.

Big time. Was looking very ominous. Hopefully Hunter doesn't chuck it away now.

How are you holding up Benimar?

A one run ball game.

Ahhhh so close.

I wasn't far wrong though ;)

Considering that Baltimore tends to lose every one run game they're involved in,

Ahem.....

The orioles get the win.

Regardless of the result, a nice way to spend a bank holiday afternoon

How are you holding up Benimar?

Just picked myself up off the ground. Nerves are shot but at least we held on, despite our best efforts :)

Ahem.....

hahah... I did say TEND... they've lost * one run games this year or something abysmal like that...

* I actually went and checked and they're now 3 and 3 in one run games after today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Single on a sharp ground-ball to the 1st baseman???

http://m.mlb.com/video/v32234949

Future trivia question?.......what batter hit 2 grand-slams in the same month, against the same opponent but playing for 2 different teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

ike Davis with a grand slam to put the Pirates up 4-2 against the reds.

I think the move to Pittsburgh is going to work out for him friendly park for a lefty and out of the spot light.

Future trivia question?.......what batter hit 2 grand-slams in the same month, against the same opponent but playing for 2 different teams?

You better hope he's not traded again! Well at least not to another team on the Reds schedule.

You better hope he's not traded again! Well at least not to another team on the Reds schedule.

According to local media, he's only the 3rd player to ever hit 2 grand slams against the same team in the same season, playing for 2 different teams......Piazza did it in 98 and Ray Boone in 53......He's the only player to ever hit 2 grand slams for different teams in the month of April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

According to local media, he's only the 3rd player to ever hit 2 grand slams against the same team in the same season, playing for 2 different teams......Piazza did it in 98 and Ray Boone in 53......He's the only player to ever hit 2 grand slams for different teams in the month of April.

I love statistics like this. Baseball media always come out with some gems that have enough granularity to be unique..."He's the only player to ever hit 2 grand slams for different teams in the month of April"

If another guy does it you can just add more and more granularity that it still makes it a new record..."He's the only switch-hitting player to ever hit 2 grand slams for different teams in the same division from both sides of the plate on a Sunday in April"....etc etc

:) Happens all the time and I'm a big fan of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Really caught that one last night. I couldn't believe it was a broken bat! :D

Hamilton starting to light up the reds offence Ollie, he is so ridiculously fast.

Hamilton starting to light up the reds offence Ollie, he is so ridiculously fast.

He does something new every night.....lastnight, he went first to third on a ground ball to the pitcher......then scored on a ground ball to 3rd

He does something new every night.....lastnight, he went first to third on a ground ball to the pitcher......then scored on a ground ball to 3rd

yeah he does he's electric when on base, I think 100 steals is achievable . Although he was out at home if Martin had held onto the ball!

• Advertisement

Of course, the question that has come up.........was Liriano aiming for Hamilton's knee? Reds-Pirates had a year-long plunkfest last year (28 combined HBP) so intentionally hitting batters is nothing new.

http://m.mlb.com/video/?content_id=32283845&player_id=571740

Of course, the question that has come up.........was Liriano aiming for Hamilton's knee? Reds-Pirates had a year-long plunkfest last year (28 combined HBP) so intentionally hitting batters is nothing new.

http://m.mlb.com/video/?content_id=32283845&player_id=571740

I dont think players would intentionally try to hurt each other at this level. Leake did plunk Walker in the fifth or sixth inning, just before the Grand Slam I think was it?

I dont think players would intentionally try to hurt each other at this level.

That's what I want to believe.......I wasn't suggesting that it was the case, just passing on that the question has been asked in local and some national media.

Only one player has hit grand slams from both sides of the plate in a single game, Bill Mueller (Red Sox) in 2003.

And in the NL no one hit two grand slams in a game for close to 100 years of it's inception. The first person to do it was... A pitcher.

So there you go.

That's what I want to believe.......I wasn't suggesting that it was the case, just passing on that the question has been asked in local and some national media.

They DEF do. It's pretty well known. They sometimes wait years to retaliate. And that can talk lots of forms.

I'm not saying it's common, but it's def NOT unheard of!

Yeah I get the media do try to make things out of things like this. I hope he doesnt get hurt, I love watching him. The highlight reel of the 4-0 win against the Cards was ridiculous. He is SOOO fast! Singles are doubles, pop fly's are runs from third and even third base from second.

• Advertisement

They DEF do. It's pretty well known. They sometimes wait years to retaliate. And that can talk lots of forms.

I'm not saying it's common, but it's def NOT unheard of!

Throwing at someone is quite common alright but deliberately hitting someone to cause an injury is a different thing. That's certainly not in the 'code'.

Yeah I get the media do try to make things out of things like this. I hope he doesnt get hurt, I love watching him. The highlight reel of the 4-0 win against the Cards was ridiculous. He is SOOO fast! Singles are doubles, pop fly's are runs from third and even third base from second.

I know Anthony Recker has thrown him out but has anyone else caught him stealing this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I know Anthony Recker has thrown him out but has anyone else caught him stealing this season?

He's been caught stealing twice this season.
    No idea who #2 is!

Throwing at someone is quite common alright but deliberately hitting someone to cause an injury is a different thing. That's certainly not in the 'code'.

Sorry, but that's just not the case... some of the most famous baseball players of all time, e.g. Ty Cobb, went out of their way to hurt opponents... Cobb for instance slid spikes up into other players...

Other players - back when attacking a catcher was part of the home plate slide - hurt a lot of people, intentionally...

Pitching at people is one thing, but it's not the only way people hurt each other in this game...

This is just from last year:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/07/04/tigers-howling-over-slide-by-colby-rasmus-that-injured-omar-infante/

That sort of play is now frowned upon publicly, but that's a relatively modern attitude...

This ended a players season and is wildly deliberate.

Ah come on, don't be using Ty Cobb as an example. Times have changed since he played.

I do accept that it probably does happen nowadays but it's very rare and even in the example you showed from last year, you can't be certain that he set out to deliberately hurt the other guy.

Maybe I'm naive but I like to give the benefit of the doubt in these cases.

• Advertisement

No idea who #2 is!

Russell Martin on the 15th.....got a bad jump and went on a fastball

Ah come on, don't be using Ty Cobb as an example. Times have changed since he played.

I do accept that it probably does happen nowadays but it's very rare and even in the example you showed from last year, you can't be certain that he set out to deliberately hurt the other guy.

Maybe I'm naive but I like to give the benefit of the doubt in these cases.

Considering how often these "accidents" happen, and how often it happens between teams with bad blood or close in the standings late in the year, well... you can choose to be naive... that's fine ;)

As for Cobb, it's just a well known example, but certainly not the only one..

And by the by, throwing a 95mph ball at someone, well... it does hurt them... and has sent many a player over the years to the DL, or forced them out of a game...

Considering how often these "accidents" happen, and how often it happens between teams with bad blood or close in the standings late in the year, well... you can choose to be naive... that's fine ;)

As for Cobb, it's just a well known example, but certainly not the only one..

And by the by, throwing a 95mph ball at someone, well... it does hurt them... and has sent many a player over the years to the DL, or forced them out of a game...

The thing is, when these events happen though, they aren't accidents. 99% of the time it is not a surprise when someone gets thrown at or hit with a pitch. Everyone knows it's coming to some extent. In almost all of these incidents, the main purpose is to send a message, get revenge, punish someone for not upholding the code etc. not to injure the guy.

Yeah, he wants to thrown one just under his chin to scare him or to hit him in the back and I know getting hit with a 95mph fast ball is going to be bloody sore and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one but the purpose is not to put someone out of the game. Occasionally a pitch might get away from the pitcher and hit someone on the head and hurt a player badly but I don't think any pitcher goes out thinking "I want to knock this guy out of the game for a while".

That's not to say it hasn't happened and I'm sure Jackie Robinson would certainly say it did, but these days with the effects of concussions becoming more known, I don't think it does.

The thing is, when these events happen though, they aren't accidents. 99% of the time it is not a surprise when someone gets thrown at or hit with a pitch. Everyone knows it's coming to some extent. In almost all of these incidents, the main purpose is to send a message, get revenge, punish someone for not upholding the code etc. not to injure the guy.

Yeah, he wants to thrown one just under his chin to scare him or to hit him in the back and I know getting hit with a 95mph fast ball is going to be bloody sore and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one but the purpose is not to put someone out of the game. Occasionally a pitch might get away from the pitcher and hit someone on the head and hurt a player badly but I don't think any pitcher goes out thinking "I want to knock this guy out of the game for a while".

That's not to say it hasn't happened and I'm sure Jackie Robinson would certainly say it did, but these days with the effects of concussions becoming more known, I don't think it does.

We'll totally agree to disagree ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

All about Tanaka v Lester tonight and Ellsbury's return to Fenway!

Will be interesting to see the reception he gets. Deserves a good one and I reckon thats what he'll get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Morrison J wrote: »
    All about Tanaka v Lester tonight and Ellsbury's return to Fenway!

Will be interesting to see the reception he gets. Deserves a good one and I reckon thats what he'll get.

Wouldn't be so sure of that. There shall be boos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

8-10 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be so sure of that. There shall be boos

Nomar Garciaparra he ain't and there'll definitely be a few boos but I think that'll be the minority.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Nomar Garciaparra he ain't and there'll definitely be a few boos but I think that'll be the minority.

Most people expected him to be gone so... Aside from frustration about his success this year, it should be ok.

Damon was a big part of the team for years; a very different situation.

Machado has a rehab assignment tomorrow. Hopefully he will be back soon and the 'error brothers' Schoop and Flaherty can have a 'rest'

A mix of cheers and boos for Ells.

• Advertisement
Advertisement