Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Didn't sound too loud.

He's bound to have a monster game though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Switching back and forth between Yankees and Baltimore game, all the while having a few drinks, tis a hard life:D

Keep an eye on the Angels! Pujols now on 499 homers for his career

I'm also sick of Boston's newly found strategy of going 4+ runs behind at the start of every game.

The ballpark is 3/4 empty in Toronto.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Keep an eye on the Angels! Pujols now on 499 homers for his career

500 now.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Tanaka just gave up back to back HRs...

The ballpark is 3/4 empty in Toronto.
    All watching the Raptors I'd imagine!
    MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Tanaka just gave up back to back HRs...
    His fast ball looks extremely hittable. His off speed pitches kinda make up for it though. Been getting a few favourable calls from the umpire today though.

What a performer Pujols is!

His fast ball looks extremely hittable. His off speed pitches kinda make up for it though. Been getting a few favourable calls from the umpire today though.

Good slider, especially against righties... but that fast ball...well.. it's not amazing to be sure, and if the ump is gonna hold him to a tight zone he could be in a bit of trouble...

First home run of the season for Edwin.

• Advertisement

Lovely double play by toronto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Can we pitch Cueto against the Pirates again tomorrow?

What a crap game.

At least Victorino is back tomorrow. One thing I'm confident on, Sizemore won't be winning any comeback player of the year award. We are so much weaker defensively when he's back there.

That home run really hurt me, still ahead on the night, gotta take the rough with the smooth it will all even itself out.

great value bet in play on brewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What a performer Pujols is!

I know we're all giving Billy Hamilton love for his speed but did anyone see Pujols steal on Monday night? Great stuff for a man of his size.

I said it a few days back but hasn't his run to 500 nearly been ignored by the media? I know he doesn't play for a fashionable club and most of ESPN on the east coast are probably in bed when he's hitting but if he was a Yankee/Red Sox/Cardinal player, the media would be on about it non stop.

Hopefully today, now that he's reached 500, it might change but there was little coverage of him when he was at 494, 495 etc. (or maybe I'm just listening to the wrong stations/reading the wrong websites!).

I know the HR isnt what it used to be but 500 is still some achievement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I know we're all giving Billy Hamilton love for his speed but did anyone see Pujols steal on Monday night? Great stuff for a man of his size.

I said it a few days back but hasn't his run to 500 nearly been ignored by the media? I know he doesn't play for a fashionable club and most of ESPN on the east coast are probably in bed when he's hitting but if he was a Yankee/Red Sox/Cardinal player, the media would be on about it non stop.

Hopefully today, now that he's reached 500, it might change but there was little coverage of him when he was at 494, 495 etc. (or maybe I'm just listening to the wrong stations/reading the wrong websites!).

I know the HR isnt what it used to be but 500 is still some achievement

It is a fantastic achievement, Albert is a terrific player funny thing is Albert could if he stays fit and healthy catch Barry Bonds. Remember Bonds was older than Pujols when he hit 70 in a season and Pujols is lighting it up right now .. Just wanted to get that out there :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,399 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Happy 100th birthday wrigley field.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

One of only two MLB parks I've been two and I really had a great time there. From arriving on the train and walking around Wrigleyville and having a drink it the bars, it is a great place to visit.

It's so old though, it looks like it should be in a museum. And the troughs in the toilets are an experience (and not a good one!). As it is in CitiField, the ushers all seem to be old age pensioners and as they saw I was supporting the visitors, they had great fun taking the piss out of me.

The Cubs won that day so I got to hear 'Go Cubs Go' (which is an annoyingly catchy song) and see the W flag raised for the passengers on the trains but it was one time I didn't mind seeing the Mets lose.

Anyone know the throwback uniforms the diamondbacks are wearing in the game against the Cubs ?

Anyone know the throwback uniforms the diamondbacks are wearing in the game against the Cubs ?

It's the Kansas City packers uniforms who were the opponents for the Chicago federals on April 23rd 1914.

Is there ANYTHING the interwebs can tell us.

• Advertisement

It's the Kansas City packers uniforms who were the opponents for the Chicago federals on April 23rd 1914.

Is there ANYTHING the interwebs can tell us.

For the day that's in it

JMcGuireSN: This is cool: http://t.co/dj2CDaP1Vy

The best day in Wrigley Field

espn: It’s Wrigley’s 100th Anniversary. If you live near Chicago, take the day off. http://t.co/jjuwfUp7Ri

Keeping the faith in Mike Moustakas in my fantasy league is finally starting to pay off! Just need Jedd Gyorko to follow suit.

Pineda ejected for using pine tar again! What an idiot

Bl8c1HLCUAAtsmb.jpg

849722759.gif?1398297184

And they celebrate in typical Cubs fashion.........

To quote HOF announcer Marty Brenneman;

"At the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up."

not a pretty couple innings for Yankees pitching...

Pineda ejected for using pine tar again! What an idiot

Bl8c1HLCUAAtsmb.jpg

849722759.gif?1398297184

What a dope.

And they celebrate in typical Cubs fashion.........

To quote HOF announcer Marty Brenneman;

"At the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up."

The curse of Sammy Sosa?

The Pineda story even made RTE.ie.

http://m.rte.ie/sport/touch/other-sport/2014/0424/610616-yankee-ejected-for-necking-illegal-substance/

Never thought I'd see regular season baseball getting reported there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

The Pineda story even made RTE.ie.

http://m.rte.ie/sport/touch/other-sport/2014/0424/610616-yankee-ejected-for-necking-illegal-substance/

Never thought I'd see regular season baseball getting reported there!

Oh wow. That's great.

This snippet from an ESPN article pretty much summed up how I feel about it:

In the end, Davis ruled that it wasn't dirt under Pineda's ear Wednesday night, leaving past and present big leaguers to ask themselves the same question:
    How dumb can you possibly be?
    Pitchers everywhere, including Farrell's pitchers, have long used illegal lotions in cold weather to get a better grip on the ball. Hitters have been well aware of this practice, and have accepted it without complaint. They figure that the better control a pitcher has, the better the chance he won't bounce fastballs off the side of their heads.
    Only Pineda was so blatant this time that he left Farrell with no choice. Instead of sticking the pine tar in a discreet location, Pineda practically spray-painted this message across the Green Monster:

I'm cheating. Someone please catch me.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

I am pretty new to baseball but have decided to give it ago this year and really love the game I did grow up watching cricket in OZ so slower games actually appeal to me, up till this year I never really watched alot of MLB but would look out for the Red sox results... no affiliation or reason other than I liked their logo and I support the Patriots in the nfl so may aswell keep it boston based. I dont really understand why he was putting lotion on the ball? does it create extra spin or come off the bat differently? Anyhow like reading the posts on here from people who know what they are talking about keep it up.

• Advertisement

I am pretty new to baseball but have decided to give it ago this year and really love the game I did grow up watching cricket in OZ so slower games actually appeal to me, up till this year I never really watched alot of MLB but would look out for the Red sox results... no affiliation or reason other than I liked their logo and I support the Patriots in the nfl so may aswell keep it boston based. I dont really understand why he was putting lotion on the ball? does it create extra spin or come off the bat differently? Anyhow like reading the posts on here from people who know what they are talking about keep it up.

Welcome aboard!

Pine tar is used (according to the pitchers anyway) solely just to get a better grip on the ball. It shouldn't cause any extra movement but rules are rules and you aren't allowed interfere with ball or add anything to it so he had to go. I'm sure there are substances out there that do cause extra spin etc. though and I'm sure they are used by lots of pitchers.

Welcome aboard!

Pine tar is used (according to the pitchers anyway) solely just to get a better grip on the ball. It shouldn't cause any extra movement but rules are rules and you aren't allowed interfere with ball or add anything to it so he had to go. I'm sure there are substances out there that do cause extra spin etc. though and I'm sure they are used by lots of pitchers.

The issue is, I think, two-fold:

- you shouldn't rub your cheating in your opponents face, even if it's basically "normal" in some situations

- if Lackey managed to get 11Ks on a night when conditions were especially hard, then it was obviously possible to pitch well enough to be effective, and without hurting any hitters

It's really just used to get a better grip. It was windy and cold in Boston last night and Pineda couldn't locate his pitches in the first inning so he decided to go his trusty friend Pine Tar for the second. Instead of hiding it inside his glove he decides to spear it over his neck which is a strange decision. Lots of pitchers do it, they just hide it.

Welcome! Good to have another Sox/Pats fan on board!

Congrats Jose Tabatha......first player to ever get a 6th hit off of Tony Cingrani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

10 game suspension for Pineda

Benimar wrote: »
    10 game suspension for Pineda

Or in pitching terms......2 starts

Elsewhere.......Reds take 3 or 4 from the Pirates and 2 of 3 from the Cubs......not a bad roadtrip against division rivals*

*Term "rivals" used loosely when referring to Cubs

Or in pitching terms......2 starts

Elsewhere.......Reds take 3 or 4 from the Pirates and 2 of 3 from the Cubs......not a bad roadtrip against division rivals*

*Term "rivals" used loosely when referring to Cubs

Three if you count last night.

Three if you count last night.

The big issue it causes is with wasted options....they are only allowed have 24 players active while he's suspended.....so if they want to call up a starting pitcher for his turn in the rotation, they need to send down a reliever or position player.....then call them back up, then do the same thing for his second start

• Advertisement

The big issue it causes is with wasted options....they are only allowed have 24 players active while he's suspended.....so if they want to call up a starting pitcher for his turn in the rotation, they need to send down a reliever or position player.....then call them back up, then do the same thing for his second start

Yep. Plus they have already lost another starter and aren't exactly brimming with starting pitching at any level of the organisation.

Congrats Jose Tabatha......first player to ever get a 6th hit off of Tony Cingrani

So he got out of the third inning then?

Very nice start for the Yankees. Got to get some innings out of Sabathia tonight after last nights mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just going back to the "Pine Tar" debacle..
    I'm a bit annoyed at Cashmans antics.. Just come out and back your player regardless.
    So Pine Tar is meant to be widely used around the league and it was a really stupid way to get caught with it but Pineda is now been thrown under the bus. I just wish he got more support from the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭boccy23

I'm a bit annoyed at Cashmans antics.. Just come out and back your player regardless.
    So Pine Tar is meant to be widely used around the league and it was a really stupid way to get caught with it but Pineda is now been thrown under the bus. I just wish he got more support from the team.

But it is hard to support a guy when it is that obvious. And it was the second time. And it was against the same team.

I think he got a huge amount of support, considering.

Remember - not only was he caught in the most absurd and public manner, cheating, and that hurt his team that day, but he was also warned by the commissioner and his team, not a month ago.

So.

Breaking the rules, hurting the team, and soon it right after being warned.

He's being treated with kid gloves if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Cheating is cheating at the end of the day he deserved to get booted.

Yankees hand the Red Sox another ass whopping last night. The game is so strange because the Yankees on paper are just so full of problems. Have to say they do seem to be raising their game for the Captains last year. Horrible pitching and yet they lead the division comfortably.

Nats are losing some crazy games right now. The bats just are having a tough time getting going and the pitching has been pretty poor for the quality we have. Worried? yes a little. The Braves look like the same machine they were last year even without their star arms.

The A's are the team that most impresses me right now. Quality pitching, great defence and their bats are hitting from every position. I like what the Brewers are doing as well (Who wouldnt they are 16-6) but I think they will have an adjustment soon as their stats are just too good on both ends. That said it makes that division really interesting!

Cheating is cheating at the end of the day he deserved to get booted.

Yankees hand the Red Sox another ass whopping last night. The game is so strange because the Yankees on paper are just so full of problems. Have to say they do seem to be raising their game for the Captains last year. Horrible pitching and yet they lead the division comfortably.

Nats are losing some crazy games right now. The bats just are having a tough time getting going and the pitching has been pretty poor for the quality we have. Worried? yes a little. The Braves look like the same machine they were last year even without their star arms.

The A's are the team that most impresses me right now. Quality pitching, great defence and their bats are hitting from every position. I like what the Brewers are doing as well (Who wouldnt they are 16-6) but I think they will have an adjustment soon as their stats are just too good on both ends. That said it makes that division really interesting!

Such a strange season so far.

And yes, last night was just brutal.

Not as funny as when he swings at a pitch when he's batting!

All joking aside, apart from that calamity of a performance in Anaheim, he's actually been alright on the mound so far. He pitched well yesterday even though it was against a Cardinal team in a bit of a slump.

But I was delighted they chose this week to forget how to hit allowing the Mets to take 3 of 4. I'm sure that pleased you too as even with the Reds slow start they aren't too far off the pace.

Such a strange season so far.

And yes, last night was just brutal.

That's what make baseball so great. It's so unpredictable and random. What happens one night can have zero impact on what happens the next.

• Advertisement
Advertisement