Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Feck your reds Ollie! :-p

Interesting game last night, good Tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Feck your reds Ollie! :-p

Interesting game last night, good Tv

Offense may be suspect......but they sure can play defense.

Actually, there were a few defensive gems on both sides lastnight (even with Werth playing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Offense may be suspect......but they sure can play defense.

Actually, there were a few defensive gems on both sides lastnight (even with Werth playing)

Philips diving catch was terrific. Actually both of his plays in the extras were terrific. Hamilton's catch was spectacular in how he managed to get to it. Ridiculous speed.

Chicks dig the long ball.....but I really love great defense......both offense struggled, but from the first pitch the gloves were out

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/8879974/v33005909/?game_pk=381200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Drew signs with the Red Sox. Apparently pro-rata salary of what he was offered in the Spring. So does that mean both sides win or both sides lose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

So, eventually Drew will play SS.
    Bogaerts to 3B and Middlebrooks loses out?
    Bogaerts doesn't play 3B .... Yet...?

So, eventually Drew will play SS.
    Bogaerts to 3B and Middlebrooks loses out?
    Bogaerts doesn't play 3B .... Yet...?

I just wonder where those multiple 3 year deals that Boras said were on the table went to.

I'm not a fan of the w/l statistic for pitchers but still amazing that Tanaka had his first regular season loss since late 2012 last night.

Hopefully not entirely because of the Mets pitchers hitting 0.014 (1 for 70 something), but there's talk again of the NL adopting the DH. It's probably inevitable that it does happen at some stage but even despite of the Mets pathetic effort this season, I still really like pitchers hitting and am not a fan of the DH and hope it remains.

• Advertisement

Nats got to Cueto last night, Impressive showing from Denard Span 5/5 is always impressive but 3/3 against Cueto is particularly impressive!

Nats got to Cueto last night, Impressive showing from Denard Span 5/5 is always impressive but 3/3 against Cueto is particularly impressive!

It was unrealistic to think he could pitch shut out baseball every start so he's entitled to a poor night every now and then. Still, this performance and Chapman blowing the save the previous night shows they're both human!

It was unrealistic to think he could pitch shut out baseball every start so he's entitled to a poor night every now and then. Still, this performance and Chapman blowing the save the previous night shows they're both human!

Absolutely Cueto is off to an unreal start. The reds have some amount of injuries at the moment , both teams have actually. Mets starting to falter Jack?

Mets starting to falter Jack?

I wouldn't say they're faltering. I'd say they're where they should be. At the start of the season they were a 70 win team so they probably have the record that matches that.

I know they were a couple of games above .500 early on but that was just a small sample. Now that we're nearly 2 months into the season, you get a truer picture of teams and 3-4 games under is about right for the players they have.

In the past few years they've managed to be a game or two either side of .500 until May/June but once they slipped 4-5 games under, they never got back to parity again and I'd imagine this year will be the same.

I wouldn't say they're faltering. I'd say they're where they should be. At the start of the season they were a 70 win team so they probably have the record that matches that.

I know they were a couple of games above .500 early on but that was just a small sample. Now that we're nearly 2 months into the season, you get a truer picture of teams and 3-4 games under is about right for the players they have.

In the past few years they've managed to be a game or two either side of .500 until May/June but once they slipped 4-5 games under, they never got back to parity again and I'd imagine this year will be the same.

I've thought your guys looked good at times. I think you finish above 70. Its a crazy division right now.

I've thought your guys looked good at times. I think you finish above 70. Its a crazy division right now.

Isn't there a phrase about blind squirrels finding nuts occasionally or something?

I (like most people) expected the Nats and Braves to run away with the division and maybe they will eventually but as they haven't been consistent so far and the Marlins have been better than most thought, it certainly is a crazy division alright.

• Advertisement

Isn't there a phrase about blind squirrels finding nuts occasionally or something?

I (like most people) expected the Nats and Braves to run away with the division and maybe they will eventually but as they haven't been consistent so far and the Marlins have been better than most thought, it certainly is a crazy division alright.

yup all the pre season talk of the Al East but its the NL east that to me is the best division right now.

I think the Nats and Braves will pull away but there is no doubting the other three are much better than pre season expectations.

Its been a good year so far. Brewers the only real stand out surprise to me right now. Small surprises from the Mets and Marlins but the rest is as was projected I think.

Boston may improve now that they have a SS that can play defence but I still think they fall short there. I still like the Blue Jays or Orioles to win that division.

Runs galore in the first of the early games today. 6-4 to Cleveland against Detroit in the bottom of the second.

Runs galore in the first of the early games today. 6-4 to Cleveland against Detroit in the bottom of the second.
    6-5 now as Martinez homers.

6-5 now as Martinez homers.

I'm not a fan of games like these usually, I much prefer tight pitching battles so if the run fest continues I'll probably switch over to something else.

EDIT - and as soon as I type that, another ball goes over the fence. Not a good day for Max Scherzer.

I'm not a fan of games like these usually, I much prefer tight pitching battles so if the run fest continues I'll probably switch over to something else.

Much the same myself, Hollidays perfect game was one of the most intriguing games of baseball i'd ever seen at that point. Terrific.

• Advertisement

I tuned back in, in the 9th and it's actually been quite good since. Tigers have blown 2 saves.

EDIT - And finishes with a walk off balk in the 13th. Glad I turned this back on.

I tuned back in, in the 9th and it's actually been quite good since. Tigers have blown 2 saves.

EDIT - And finishes with a walk off balk in the 13th. Glad I turned this back on.

I was watching the defenseladen game between the Nats and the Reds. Some series for defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Fielder gone for the year ... Probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Sweep, sweep, sweep! :D

Jays take all 3 at Fenway and top the AL East.

Fielder gone for the year ... Probably

Looks like the Tigers got the better of that deal, even before this injury

mod9maple wrote: »
    Sweep, sweep, sweep! :D

Jays take all 3 at Fenway and top the AL East.

I know it's only May and things will no doubt change but nearly all the experts had 4 teams in with a shout of the AL East and Toronto was the odd one out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

The O's have scored 30 runs in their last 4 games...and got ONE win :eek:

Hard to know how the AL East will go, no team has been too consistent so far. I'd still be surprised if two teams didn't make the playoffs from the division though.

Benimar wrote: »

There's been a few funny stats recently. The A's won during the week despite getting only one hit and the pitcher with one of the best (if not the best) ERA in the majors (Jeff Samardzija) hasn't got a win since August.

Reds beat the cardinals.....bryan pena makes one of the plays of the year at first (even though he's a catcher)....... and Aroldis Chapman decided to start throwing a change-up for the first time ever, and it was pretty damn good (though his 90mph change-up is faster than some fastballs) hitters beware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It only takes one person to pick the ball up in baseball last time I checked.

Rays beat the red sox 6-5 after 15 innings.

Poor throw by miller to second in fairness.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It only takes one person to pick the ball up in baseball last time I checked.

Rays beat the red sox 6-5 after 15 innings.

Poor throw by miller to second in fairness.

The Red Sox were 5-1 up when I was watching that one. That's 9 losses in a row for Boston now. Milan must be too distressed to post.

Reds beat the cardinals.....bryan pena makes one of the plays of the year at first (even though he's a catcher)....... and Aroldis Chapman decided to start throwing a change-up for the first time ever, and it was pretty damn good (though his 90mph change-up is faster than some fastballs) hitters beware

Series evened up last night. Yadier Molina definitely is the catcher I like watching most in baseball. Both on defence and with the bat. Another HR last night

As much as I love baseball, it is also the most frustrating game to watch.

The Mets left a million men on base yesterday but today's a new day with a doubleheader and surely some of those balls would drop and they'd score a few runs. But hit into five double plays and go 1 for 11 with RISP (14 men left on base) through the first eight innings and then make a stupid error to gift the D'Backs the lead and it's the same old story. I fell like throwing the TV out the window. No way am I going to watch the second game especially as Dice-K goes for the Mets so the game will be as long as a Red Sox-Yankees game

I was thinking of taking up the strategy of only posting here when my team wins or does something good but I'd only get to post about once a week in that case and I need this place to vent!

Edit - Final stats, 1 for 13 with RISP and 15 left on base.

But some good news, Josh Beckett gets a no hitter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

But some good news, Josh Beckett gets a no hitter!
    Yea, they just announced on the Giants/Twins game. Pitching well this season!

Red Sox gone to the dogs. They were tied 3-3 against the Rays when I tuned in but about 5 minutes later it's now an 8-3 lead for TB. This is gonna be 10 losses in a row for Boston.

Edit - and now handbags are drawn with a bench clearing. I love this game again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Red Sox gone to the dogs. They were tied 3-3 against the Rays when I tuned in but about 5 minutes later it's now an 8-3 lead for TB. This is gonna be 10 losses in a row for Boston.

Edit - and now handbags are drawn with a bench clearing. I love this game again.
    Chicken and Beer must be back on the menu in the clubhouse :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Sweep! Sweep! Sweep!

This times it's the A's. I could get used to this. :D

• Advertisement

Hard to know how the AL East will go, no team has been too consistent so far. I'd still be surprised if two teams didn't make the playoffs from the division though.

To be honest I thought that pre season but the division is not as strong as its made out to be. I think the five teams will take too many games off each other for two to get in.

To be honest I thought that pre season but the division is not as strong as its made out to be. I think the five teams will take too many games off each other for two to get in.

I still think it will be 2. Oakland and the Angels from the West as well as Detroit seem good bets, but after that who else is there? The rest of the Central is under .500 and I can't see any of them rising too much above it. In the West, Texas just lost their best player and, bar this weekend, have been playing poorly.

It might be tight, but I just can't see a 2nd Central or 3rd West team getting in.

I still think it will be 2. Oakland and the Angels from the West as well as Detroit seem good bets, but after that who else is there? The rest of the Central is under .500 and I can't see any of them rising too much above it. In the West, Texas just lost their best player and, bar this weekend, have been playing poorly.

It might be tight, but I just can't see a 2nd Central or 3rd West team getting in.

I can see Kansas or Cleveland pulling it together. I just dont think there is enough in the AL East, maybe I'm wrong there but I just dont see the Yankee's pitching being good enough. If Baltimore get their act together they might just do enough though.

I can see Kansas or Cleveland pulling it together. I just dont think there is enough in the AL East, maybe I'm wrong there but I just dont see the Yankee's pitching being good enough. If Baltimore get their act together they might just do enough though.

I had KC in my pre season picks for a wild card so I hope they do come through!

The whole thing's up in the air really. I have no idea of how it's all gonna work out.

As I don’t know anyone in the ‘real world’ who likes baseball, I really like this forum as it’s a great to be able to discuss the game with other fans which I wouldn't be able to do otherwise.

One comment I have though and maybe I’m alone in thinking this but I find some of the posting a bit too one sided at times. What I mean is, there are loads of happy posts after a win or a good performance and plenty of analysis when posters are happy with how their team is playing. But when that team gets beaten or the starter gets pummelled etc., there doesn’t seem to be as much of the downcast, demoralised posts.

I’d love to hear what fans think after their team has an awful performance or their clean up guy is in a 5-40 slump and get some of their analysis on what went wrong in the game or what’s going wrong generally and what the team could do to fix it etc. It would certainly add some more balance to the forum. So what do you think? Anyone up for a bit more negativity?

As I don’t know anyone in the ‘real world’ who likes baseball, I really like this forum as it’s a great to be able to discuss the game with other fans which I wouldn't be able to do otherwise.

One comment I have though and maybe I’m alone in thinking this but I find some of the posting a bit too one sided at times. What I mean is, there are loads of happy posts after a win or a good performance and plenty of analysis when posters are happy with how their team is playing. But when that team gets beaten or the starter gets pummelled etc., there doesn’t seem to be as much of the downcast, demoralised posts.

I’d love to hear what fans think after their team has an awful performance or their clean up guy is in a 5-40 slump and get some of their analysis on what went wrong in the game or what’s going wrong generally and what the team could do to fix it etc. It would certainly add some more balance to the forum. So what do you think? Anyone up for a bit more negativity?

Damn Mets fans looking to bring the rest of us down! :-p

• Advertisement

On a serious note though Jack here goes some positive negativity.

Been a very up and down season but the last five games have been indicative of the season. Too many injuries. Our bats have gone to sleep and our pitching has been good, but not good enough to win. Its frustrating. This team is far better than their record indicates yet their performances are that of a 500 team, up and down. Jekyl and Hyde if you will. I am glad our ace misses the Marlins, because they have owned him for the last couple of years. Nats need to start putting winning streaks together in longer sequences or we will be talking about another lost season.

On a serious note though Jack here goes some positive negativity.

Been a very up and down season but the last five games have been indicative of the season. Too many injuries. Our bats have gone to sleep and our pitching has been good, but not good enough to win. Its frustrating. This team is far better than their record indicates yet their performances are that of a 500 team, up and down. Jekyl and Hyde if you will. I am glad our ace misses the Marlins, because they have owned him for the last couple of years. Nats need to start putting winning streaks together in longer sequences or we will be talking about another lost season.

I haven't been paying too much attention to the Nats recently. Is the tinker man still tinkering too much?

I haven't been paying too much attention to the Nats recently. Is the tinker man still tinkering too much?

No I cant blame his tinkering right now. We've had a settled side for a while but the problem has been injuries Harper and Zimmerman out was tough but then La Roche gone for 2 weeks and the losing Gio to injury as well. To be fair some of the replacements have looked the part at times. Frandsen, Walters did ok.

To be negative I would say we are underachieving but to be optimistic I would say we are playing well with key injuries! :D

No more negative right .. we suck!! :D:D

Ubaldos pitching Wednesday. See you Thursday morning so :D

Negativity probably wasn't the word I was after. I'd just like to see some balance in how we post on our teams. If I'm honest, I'm probably too negative on the Mets and don't post enough about the good things that happen them (nice win last night by the way after the disaster in the afternoon and a nice spot start from Dice K) but I'd like to read posts from fans when their team loses and see what they think about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement