Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

mod9maple wrote: »

Dickey has been kinda iffy

That's the thing with the knuckleball. When it's on, there's nothing better to watch but when he doesn't have it, it can be like batting practice for the hitter.

I love watching him on a good day though as hitters just look bamboozled and haven't a clue where the ball's going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Sees that the O's are 4 runs down in the top of the 3rd.....checks who the starting pitcher is....sees it's Ubaldo....wonders why he wasted his time checking what the score should have told him :(

Ubaldos 3rd inning today...walk, walk, walk, 2 run double (that was nearly a GS), walk, force out at home, GS.

I think he needs the Valverde treatment at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

from a Baltimore sports site

@RussellStReport: Fan chanting at Jimenez as he walked to the dugout: "Give back the money! Give back the money!"”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

boccy23 wrote: »
    King Felix yesterday: 6.1 IP - 0K.

He struck out 15 last night so safe to say he's healthy again.

He struck out 15 last night so safe to say he's healthy again.

Pity the offence didn't find their bats until the 9th inning after he'd left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Hope Ramirez didn't trademark the "Manny being Manny" phrase......looks like it may start being used with Machedo

Hope Ramirez didn't trademark the "Manny being Manny" phrase......looks like it may start being used with Machedo

That was something else wasn't it? Crazy stuff altogether.

That was something else wasn't it? Crazy stuff altogether.

This is all i could think of......obviously with a bat, not a shoe

who.throws.a.shoe_.jpg

• Advertisement

Reds activate Votto from the DL, Latos is scheduled to be activated and start on Saturday.....making this weekend the first series of the season that the Reds have their full line-up.

I've said through all their struggles this year, that I wouldn't give up on the season until they've had a solid 2-3 weeks with their full team. (Thankfully the Pirates, Brewers and Cardinals have staggered enough that the Reds are still somewhat in contention)

Reds activate Votto from the DL, Latos is scheduled to be activated and start on Saturday.....making this weekend the first series of the season that the Reds have their full line-up.

I've said through all their struggles this year, that I wouldn't give up on the season until they've had a solid 2-3 weeks with their full team. (Thankfully the Pirates, Brewers and Cardinals have staggered enough that the Reds are still somewhat in contention)

I said in April that as long as they're within shouting distance of the Cardinals at the end of June (still can't see the Brewers keeping it up till September) they wouldn't be out of it. Looks like it could be a nice race in the Central as the Pirates are there too and probably aren't going away either.

Actually, plenty of nice races in quite a few divisions this year which is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Benimar wrote: »

Great throw, he's a heck of a player.

Question - why was it the 1st base umpire calling the out at home? The home plate umpire seemed to have gone towards SS/3B direction after the hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Red Sox have 5 outfielders with 90+ at bats this season, and none are batting .250 or better

And they just signed a 36-yr old outfielder who is a career .242 hitter and batted just .250 last year

Not overly encouraged. Tough season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

8-10 wrote: »
    Red Sox have 5 outfielders with 90+ at bats this season, and none are batting .250 or better

And they just signed a 36-yr old outfielder who is a career .242 hitter and batted just .250 last year

Not overly encouraged. Tough season

Looking at this new kid Mooky in Triple A Pawtucket at the moment as well.

• Advertisement

Great throw but surely he loses some points for muffing the catch in the first place don't you think?

Great throw but surely he loses some points for muffing the catch in the first place don't you think?

Actually no, because without it the runner would have been safe at 3rd, instead he was out at home :)

Don't get me wrong, I loved the throw but him being in a position to make it was a lucky consequence of him not fielding the ball cleanly. It's not like he deliberately fumbled it to entice the runner to make for home.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the throw but him being in a position to make it was a lucky consequence of him not fielding the ball cleanly. It's not like he deliberately fumbled it to entice the runner to make for home.

Oh, I know. It was poor play initially but it was some recovery in fairness.

Anyway, who is to say that his fielding errors aren't deliberate...he did something similar last night :p (Over ran the ball before throwing out Pujols at 3rd.)

I think baserunners will have to learn that when Cespedes misfields the ball, you don't try to advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Is Tanaka an ace yet?!

• Advertisement

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Is Tanaka an ace yet?!

I think Tanaka was an ace before he even threw a single pitch for the Yankees.

Is Tanaka an ace yet?!

We'll have wait and see what Milan thinks. Although he hasn't posted since things started to go south for the Red Sox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Is Tanaka an ace yet?!

Not if your a Red Sox fan :-p

Quality pitcher but it wont be enough for the Yankees to get a playoff birth looking at how the rest of the american league is shaping up

he did something similar last night

He's showing off now I think ha ha.

I know Pujols is getting on but man did he look slow chugging around the bases.

I think Tanaka was an ace before he even threw a single pitch for the Yankees.

Yu Darvish threw a complete game shut out last night too so good night for Japanese starters last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Yu Darvish threw a complete game shut out last night too so good night for Japanese starters last night.

Darvish is brilliant. Love watching him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

That Tanaka is something else.
    Back him everytime he starts whatever the price and you will be ahead this season, its printing money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

7-1 san fran thats alll i need to knw yo

Saving themselves from getting swept in a 4 games series at home too.

• Advertisement

I'll take a 3-1 series win against the Giants any time!

Nats playing really well right now, starting pitching has been excellant of late even Treinen last night wasnt all that bad as well.

I'll take a 3-1 series win against the Giants any time!

Nats playing really well right now, starting pitching has been excellant of late even Treinen last night wasnt all that bad as well.

Starters not walking anyone ever it seems which is a great foundation. Where's Harper gonna go when he comes back? Nice headache for Williams to have though

Starters not walking anyone ever it seems which is a great foundation. Where's Harper gonna go when he comes back? Nice headache for Williams to have though

It is a nice headache. But Bryce will go back to leftfield and I think Zimmerman will go to either 3rd or 2nd. Espinosa will lose out either way I think .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean if dice k wasn't able to go why start him ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I mean if dice k wasn't able to go why start him ?

I'm only tuning on now. What happened him?

I'm only tuning on now. What happened him?

He looked sick and was late getting to the mound for the first pitch and walked two guys in the top of the first. He looked all out of sorts.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    He looked sick and was late getting to the mound for the first pitch and walked two guys in the top of the first. He looked all out of sorts.

As you say it was strange then that they let him start. Although they seem to be short of arms today so maybe that's why they took the chance.

As you say it was strange then that they let him start. Although they seem to be short of arms today so maybe that's why they took the chance.

Yeah they had only 4 in the bullpen today and I know there is a pitching rotation and if you mess with it one guy will be pitching on short rest. I do get that but he shouldn't have started today.

• Advertisement

Sad news that Tony Gwynn passed away today. Obviously before I started following baseball so I never saw him play but from what I'm reading about him today, he was a great player and a nice guy off the field too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Sad news that Tony Gwynn passed away today.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/6/16/5814558/tony-gwynn-dies-54-padres-hall-of-fame

First, Maddux was convinced no hitter could tell the speed of a pitch with any meaningful accuracy. To demonstrate, he pointed at a road a quarter-mile away and said it was impossible to tell if a car was going 55, 65 or 75 mph unless there was another car nearby to offer a point of reference.

“You just can’t do it,” he said. Sometimes hitters can pick up differences in spin. They can identify pitches if there are different releases points or if a curveball starts with an upward hump as it leaves the pitcher’s hand. But if a pitcher can change speeds, every hitter is helpless, limited by human vision.

“Except,” Maddux said, “for that [expletive] Tony Gwynn.”

mod9maple wrote: »

From everything I've read an absolute gent off the field. Terrific player on it. Might have gone over .400 in 94 had it not been for the strike.

Sad story 54 years of age.

Grady Sizemore's getting DFA's by the Red Sox. He lasted longer than I expected but it looks like gamble didn't pay off. At least he was cheap.

I still think it will be 2. Oakland and the Angels from the West as well as Detroit seem good bets, but after that who else is there? The rest of the Central is under .500 and I can't see any of them rising too much above it. In the West, Texas just lost their best player and, bar this weekend, have been playing poorly.

It might be tight, but I just can't see a 2nd Central or 3rd West team getting in.

How things change - Detroit are out of 1st place in Central and now occupy one of the wildcard spots (a long with the Angels)

• Advertisement

How things change - Detroit are out of 1st place in Central and now occupy one of the wildcard spots (a long with the Angels)

Its not the change that has surprised me its the manner of it. The Tigers pitching has officially fallen apart. Sherzer and Verlander getting shelled the last month. Add to that Kansas' pitching finally coming around and their bats have woken up as well. Interesting times in the Central. I think Cleveland have a live chance there to go and win the division as well. They have stuttered the last week but were on a terrific run before that. Anyone's division right now though, everyone within 6 games of top spot!

Bartolo Colon has a hit, I repeat Bartolo Colon has a hit. This is not a test.

And it was an RBI double. This is our World Series.

Edit - The video of him running (if that's what you want to call it) has to be seen. Both getting to second base and then going home on the Eric Young's hit that followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

What a finish at Fenway!

Kershaw is the best

8-10 wrote: »
    Kershaw is the best

Does this give him the edge over Cueto for NL starter in the ASG? Especially as he was shafted last season so the home town Matt Harvey could start.

I know Cueto has better stats and deserves it more but MLB loves a 'star' and I think they could see Kershaw out in LA as a bigger draw than Cueto and give it to him. I hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement