Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Does this give him the edge over Cueto for NL starter in the ASG? Especially as he was shafted last season so the home town Matt Harvey could start.

I know Cueto has better stats and deserves it more but MLB loves a 'star' and I think they could see Kershaw out in LA as a bigger draw than Cueto and give it to him. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't pay much attention to the ASG really to be honest. Might sound like a a grumpy so-and-so but it's all pagentry nonsense to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

8-10 wrote: »
    I don't pay much attention to the ASG really to be honest. Might sound like a a grumpy so-and-so but it's all pagentry nonsense to me

Not too much of a fan of it myself but the media does make a meal out of who the starting pitchers are. And I love the media getting their knickers in a twist over a non-story.

Don't get me started on every team having to be represented and home field advantage in the WS being determined by it though!

I think Colon getting to second without keeling over was a better achievement than Kershaw's no hitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Waitsian

How things change - Detroit are out of 1st place in Central and now occupy one of the wildcard spots (a long with the Angels)

Ditto the Blue Jays.

Great May; terrible June so far. Still leading the division but the bats have gone cold. Hopefully a temporary slump but the AL East will go to the wire I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

8-10 wrote: »
    Kershaw is the best
    Yea, pity the error ruined the perfecto for him. That said according to the game score metric it was the second highest score (in 102) for 9 innings. Behind Kerry Wood's 20K 1-hitter back in the 90s but ahead of all the perfect games. I think he is definitely over his injury...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Fecking Braves .. they have our number and thats the reality of it! Nats just struggle against both Miami and Atlanta! Fecking feck and feck feck feck.

Fecking Braves .. they have our number and thats the reality of it! Nats just struggle against both Miami and Atlanta! Fecking feck and feck feck feck.

Are they in the Nats heads? Might be an issue in October if they meet in the playoffs.

My Mets have lost in some horrible ways and I'm kind of used to it happening these days (and last tonight was another mild example of a cruel defeat) but what happened your Reds last night Ollie? Blowing a 9-3 lead and losing by 5 is a terrible way to end a game.

My Mets have lost in some horrible ways and I'm kind of used to it happening these days (and last tonight was another mild example of a cruel defeat) but what happened your Reds last night Ollie? Blowing a 9-3 lead and losing by 5 is a terrible way to end a game.

When the Jays were down by 8 in the second I went to bed. I got up this morning and was amazed by the scoreline.

An ex-Red who goes by the moniker E5 happened to them. :D

mod9maple wrote: »

An ex-Red who goes by the moniker E5 happened to them. :D

That was one of those trades that both sides seem to have done well out of. It's taken time for EE to come good but he's been great this season.

• Advertisement

mod9maple wrote: »
    When the Jays were down by 8 in the second I went to bed. I got up this morning and was amazed by the scoreline.

Down by 8 again. Does lightning strike twice?

Comedy baseball in Colorado. The Brewers score 3 runs on a wild pitch.

I'm on the phone so can't link but check it out if you can. Funny stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

WC is causing me to miss so much baseball!

I'm the same. I did have a couple of Mets games on in the background while watching the WC over the weekend but I haven't been doing my usual catch up on other games around the league or on other stuff that's been happening.

We mustn't be the only 2 as posts on this thread seem to be down the past week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm the same. I did have a couple of Mets games on in the background while watching the WC over the weekend but I haven't been doing my usual catch up on other games around the league or on other stuff that's been happening.

We mustn't be the only 2 as posts on this thread seem to be down the past week or so.

It's been work for me. I've been so busy I haven't even gotten any world cup games in since England v Uruguay

Daily game recaps of Red Sox is all I can manage these days

You've got to feel sorry for Corey Dickinson of the Rockies here

http://m.mlb.com/video/v33960507/milcol-dickerson-triples-then-stumbles-into-an-out

Down by 8 again. Does lightning strike twice?

Unfortunately not. Lost the series too. Jays are having an awful June. And it just got worse - Lawrie out for weeks with a broken finger and Bautista hurting too. The bench is terribly weak and the starting rotation needs improved. Still top of the AL East. The trade deadline is going to be very interesting north of the border this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

With the WC only happening once every 4 years, a few weeks of a 162 game season will have to take a backseat for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,397 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm the same except its work is stoping me from watching any sport. The reason I know the mets results is because I get alerts that I see after the game is over.

• Advertisement

Sizemore's signed with the Phillies. Well to a minor league deal anyway. I wonder what makes them think he can hit for them when he couldn't hit for Boston

The Mets game is actually live on Youtube tonight.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    The Mets game is actually live on Youtube tonight.

YouTube? What's that all about?

YouTube? What's that all about?

Yeah they were streaming it last night on the MLB youtube page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Sizemore's signed with the Phillies. Well to a minor league deal anyway. I wonder what makes them think he can hit for them when he couldn't hit for Boston

Well it cant hurt the rest of the Phillies couldnt fecking hit a barn door with a shovel for most of the season so far although they have started to find a groove recently.

Thankfully the Nats have come back on track and are looking quite good right now.

Thankfully the Nats have come back on track and are looking quite good right now.

Probably the only joy of getting up at 6am was being able to watch the end of last night's game over breakfast. Don't know would I have stuck through all 16 though

• Advertisement

Probably the only joy of getting up at 6am was being able to watch the end of last night's game over breakfast. Don't know would I have stuck through all 16 though

I was working last night till 3 am and had to go to bed, couldnt watch any longer than 4! But was delighted to wake up to the win. Nats looking good at the moment :-)

Perfect for my trip to the states leave on Saturday will try to do a little synopsis of the trip by grounds and games that I get to! :D:D

Big time Timmy Jim has no hitter going through 8...

Coeus wrote: »
    Big time Timmy Jim has no hitter going through 8...

Pitching great but the facial hair is ridiculous. He looks like a fifteen year old trying to grow a moustache so he can get into a pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

And he does it!

2nd no hitter, both against the Padres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Does it count against the Padres?

• Advertisement

Benimar wrote: »
    And he does it!

2nd no hitter, both against the Padres

Great stuff. Great to see him do it (again!)

Great stuff. Great to see him do it (again!)
    Yep always good to catch one of these live! You never know what Timmy will show up these days...

Yep always good to catch one of these live! You never know what Timmy will show up these days...

Still a fantasy nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

Great game for Timmy last night.I watched it live and Padres offence is really terrible. Hopefully this might give Giants a boost to get back on track after a very bad patch last 3 weeks.

Great game for Timmy last night.I watched it live and Padres offence is really terrible. Hopefully this might give Giants a boost to get back on track after a very bad patch last 3 weeks.

what's up with Matt Cain?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Tanaka is something else.

Hopefully this might give Giants a boost to get back on track after a very bad patch last 3 weeks.
    Well so much for that theory. Swept by the reds at home and lost first place to Dodgers. Starting to look a lot like last season.

Well so much for that theory. Swept by the reds at home and lost first place to Dodgers. Starting to look a lot like last season.

Amazing how a 9 game lead disappeared so quickly.

I know I'm a day late but only catching up on baseball stuff now but what a great triple play in the Dodgers game last night.

• Advertisement

No World Cup to watch so good to be able to sit down and watch some baseball again. Some good games already today. The BJ's just walked off vs the Brewers (sweep) and the Rays and Yankees are in a nice tight game too. The As v Tigers was good for a while too but Detroit just blew that one open.

No World Cup to watch so good to be able to sit down and watch some baseball again. Some good games already today. The BJ's just walked off vs the Brewers (sweep) and the Rays and Yankees are in a nice tight game too. The As v Tigers was good for a while too but Detroit just blew that one open.

When EE was asked about the pitch he hit out to walk off he said:

"He hanged it, I banged it!"

Lou Gehrig's "Luckiest man on the face of the Earth" speech was 75 years ago today.

As a Yankee fan and someone who has family connections to Motor Neuron Disease, Lou Gehrig is an absolute inspiration to me.

Just scrolling through Twitter there and saw there's a game on already. 11:05 start for the Nats and Cubs. That's early!

Just scrolling through Twitter there and saw there's a game on already. 11:05 start for the Nats and Cubs. That's early!
    Yea, I remember this been an early start last year aswell. Red Sox games on Patriot Day are 11.05 starts to coincide marathon finish. Not sure why this is an early start though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,397 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yea, I remember this been an early start last year aswell. Red Sox games on Patriot Day are 11.05 starts to coincide marathon finish. Not sure why this is an early start though...

4th of July ?

Oakland going for it big time it seems.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/11177585/chicago-cubs-trade-jeff-samardzija-jason-hammel-oakland-athletics

And the Cubs look like they're stocking up on young players for the future. Of course it's a big if, but if some or all of them reach what's expected of them, they could be very good in a year two's time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Reds get 5 games against the Cubs in 4 days........if there's a chance to make up some ground before the all-star break, this is it.....have the Pirates in town to finish out the first half......the NL Central looks like it could be a 4 team race into September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    4th of July ?

Due to the ballparks proximity to the Capitol building and the National Mall.....if they're home for 4th of July, it's always an early game to allow traffic disperse before road closures, etc for the 4th of July celebrations on the National Mall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Oakland going for it big time it seems.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/11177585/chicago-cubs-trade-jeff-samardzija-jason-hammel-oakland-athletics

And the Cubs look like they're stocking up on young players for the future. Of course it's a big if, but if some or all of them reach what's expected of them, they could be very good in a year two's time

No doubt inspired by being swept by the Tigers who have been their nemesis during the postseason the past two years. A great trade by Billy Beane.

Advertisement