Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No doubt inspired by being swept by the Tigers who have been their nemesis during the postseason the past two years. A great trade by Billy Beane.

How long did it take Samarjah to get a win in Chicago? Turns up in Oakland and day one, a win in the books.

(Not that I rate pitcher wins/losses by the way)

Reds get 5 games against the Cubs in 4 days........if there's a chance to make up some ground before the all-star break, this is it.....have the Pirates in town to finish out the first half......the NL Central looks like it could be a 4 team race into September.

Good to have you back Ollie. NLC definitely heating up now. I still don't trust the Brewers (will probably haunt me saying that when they won the division) and as the Cardinals are struggling, it definitely is wide open. I like the Pirates so would like to see them win it but as you say, it's all to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

How long did it take Samarjah to get a win in Chicago? Turns up in Oakland and day one, a win in the books.

Yeah you can be the best pitcher but without the offense to back you up then you won't get a good W/L record. His ERA is very good and he doesn't seem to give up too many walks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Yeah you can be the best pitcher but without the offense to back you up then you won't get a good W/L record. His ERA is very good and he doesn't seem to give up too many walks.

last two years Cliff Lee was lights out.unbelievable stats....but with about 10 wins over both.
    Same with Cole Hamels! Decent numbers and was like 1-9 at one stage. he was in danger of being the fastest pitcher to 10 losses without a win, despite good figures!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Not sure when his first win was, but I remember at one point when he briefly passed Johnny Cueto for ERA lead he was 0-4 through 7 starts.
    Good to have you back Ollie.

I has been a while since I've been on......rest assured, it's nothing to do with embarassing Reds' performances......we were actually back in Ireland for a few weeks

As always, it's good to be back

• Advertisement

Not sure when his first win was, but I remember at one point when he briefly passed Johnny Cueto for ERA lead he was 0-4 through 7 starts.

Just double-checked......he got his first win of the season on May 26th, in his 11th start.

Only 2 of his previous 10 starts were not quality starts, and he had an 0-4 record to show for it....and in 4 of those 10 starts, he pitched at least 7 innings and left the game with a lead.......heck he even pitched 9 innings against the white-sox only giving up 1 run (unearned) but that wasn't even good enough for a win.

He (well the Cubs actually) certainly disproves the old saying of pitching winning championships.......but they aren't the only team, the Reds a couple of years ago had Dontrelle Willis throw 9 quality starts before getting his first win, Johnny Cueto has pitched well enough this year that he should have 3 or 4 more wins than he does......even last week, Mat Latos pitched a 1 hitter against the Padres, and got the loss

In other news (as I continue to make up for a 2 week absence from the page)

Jay Bruce will make his first career start at 1st tonight, Votto has been playing hurt all season and has gotten to the point that he's almost completely ineffective (quad injury hinders his batting motion)....Reds normally have been using Brayan Pena as back-up at first, but he's on paternity leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Back in Ireland for a short period before another stint in america.

Went to see the following:

June28 - Nats (7) v Cubs(2) in Wrigley - Wrigley is old! Really Old. Its falling apart in places, as it turns out this game is probably Samardja's last for the Cubs and was the night part of a day/night double header. Treinen was very good for the Nats has some good stuff in his locker and looks likely to play a part in the rotation in the near future. Samardja was not great on the day but with the move happening so close afterwards part of me thinks he already knew he was going and the emotion of his last start with the Cubs got to him.

July 2 - Nats (4) v Rockies (3) in Nats Park - Fister was great after a rocky start, Desmond, Werth saved the game hitting wise and it was a great atmosphere, there were fireworks after the game with the impending 4th of July celebration and I have to say it was very impressive overall. Have to say the Nats stadium is very very impressive, I dont think there is a bad view of the field anywhere in the ground and what was once a really sketchy neighbourhood has undergone some major revamping so that its much less scary now to walk through!

July5 - O's (7) v Red Sox (4) in Fenway Park - again the second part of a double header, the O's were way too good for the Red Sox on the evening after a terrific day battle earlier. Cruz was terrific his hitting was unreal, went 5 for 5 and was an inch or two from hitting for the cycle only to be tagged out at third. Deserves his all star. This funny enough was the game that Lackey had the "I dont want to talk about Cruz" .. comment. To be honest it very much looks like sour grapes, he was shelled on the evening and Cruz could have hit him every time he was just in the zone had a double, HR and a SB off Lackey. Funny the after comments from both sides sparked a fair amount of controversy.

Overall got three good games in, hoped to get more but just couldn't make it happen. There is something special about Fenway Park and the atmosphere there is immense. The Boston crowd are an interesting mix too. Hoping to get four or five more games in on my next stateside trip in a couple of weeks but this was a great trip. Camden Yards, Great American Ball Park, Busch Stadium, PNC Park and Progressive Field is my ambitious hit list for next time, realistically though I think I will get Camden Yards, PNC Park and Progressive Field and a couple of Nats games in Nats Park.

Cool post. Sounds great. I like your Fister had a 'rocky' start pun against Colorado. Intentional?

It was always an ambition to get to Wrigley and Fenway because if the history involved but to date have only got to Wrigley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Cool post. Sounds great. I like your Fister had a 'rocky' start pun against Colorado. Intentional?

It was always an ambition to get to Wrigley and Fenway because if the history involved but to date have only got to Wrigley.

Same as that Jack, Wrigley and Fenway were on the bucket list for a long time so delighted to get them in before a revamp which is defintiely coming for Wrigley. Was in the Old Yankee stadium as well i think it probably had more meaning for Yankee fans though. There is something really special about Old stadiums.

• Advertisement

The Mets irrelevance this season is finally taking its toll. For the first time in as long as I can remember, I woke up this morning and went about my business and it was a good 20 minutes before it even dawned on me that I hadn't checked the score from last night.

That never happens. I always have a glance at the phone to see how they got on before even getting out of bed. Shows what a record of 39-49 does eh?

We were blessed with a treat in Cincinnati lastnight, captured by one of the local photographers.......oh and the Reds won.

gabp_zpsc31411fb.jpg

Beautiful pic Ollie! Man do I love Baseball. Brandon Phillips catch the other day was ridiculous. People can say what they want about him but he's one of the best defensive 2nd basemen in Baseball.

The Mets irrelevance this season is finally taking its toll. For the first time in as long as I can remember, I woke up this morning and went about my business and it was a good 20 minutes before it even dawned on me that I hadn't checked the score from last night.

That never happens. I always have a glance at the phone to see how they got on before even getting out of bed. Shows what a record of 39-49 does eh?

40-49 and only 9 games back on the division lead :-)

Beautiful pic Ollie! Man do I love Baseball. Brandon Phillips catch the other day was ridiculous. People can say what they want about him but he's one of the best defensive 2nd basemen in Baseball.

Without a doubt....he's added a couple of plays to his highlight reel in the last couple of series.

Just checked the updated standings, Reds back to within 5 of the Brewers......and that's only good for 4th place in the division, Reds play Cubs and Pirates, Cards play Pirates and Brewers to finish out the first half.

Plenty of exciting baseball and scoreboard watching this week, any of the 4 teams could lead the division by the all-star break.

Votto back to DL with "no timeframe for return".....rumors have started already......could we see Adam Dunn back in Cincinnati, don't think that the White Sox consider themselves contenders this season and probably won't retain Dunn after his contract expires at the end of the season.......I'm sure they'd like to off-load the 2nd half of the $15m salary he's due this year.

Votto back to DL with "no timeframe for return".....rumors have started already......could we see Adam Dunn back in Cincinnati, don't think that the White Sox consider themselves contenders this season and probably won't retain Dunn after his contract expires at the end of the season.......I'm sure they'd like to off-load the 2nd half of the $15m salary he's due this year.

Things are still quite tight there in the central and I dont think the White Sox will be writing themselves off just yet, after all they are only a couple of games further back that the Reds are in terms of chasing division leaders.

Still the Reds have done a great job of staying in contention with all the injuries. Hamilton has been a huge offensive spark.

Things are still quite tight there in the central and I dont think the White Sox will be writing themselves off just yet, after all they are only a couple of games further back that the Reds are in terms of chasing division leaders.

Still the Reds have done a great job of staying in contention with all the injuries. Hamilton has been a huge offensive spark.

Hamilton has and Jay Bruce may just start one of his hot streaks......just hit his 3rd homer in as many games......had been on an 0-26 streak.....now 4-9 with 3 homers and a double since snapping that streak

Hamilton has and Jay Bruce may just start one of his hot streaks......just hit his 3rd homer in as many games......had been on an 0-26 streak.....now 4-9 with 3 homers and a double since snapping that streak
    Its been impressive how they have fought to stay in there. Bruce is definitely looking hot the more I think about it the Dunn deal you mentioned seems likely could be an interesting second half for the Reds/Brew/Cards and Pirates :D:D

Its been impressive how they have fought to stay in there. Bruce is definitely looking hot the more I think about it the Dunn deal you mentioned seems likely could be an interesting second half for the Reds/Brew/Cards and Pirates :D:D

The difference between the Reds and the White Sox regarding who's a contender.....the Reds are chasing the Brewers and the White Sox are chasing the Tigers......one team is known for hitting a slump in July and August

And FYI......Hamilton is 2 for 2 with a bunt single, a double, 2 stolen bases and a run scored.......he just stole 3rd and it was the first time in the game the cubs even attempted to throw him out......it also gives him 37 stolen bases, which ties the Cubs team total.

And it's only the 2nd inning.

• Advertisement

.just hit his 3rd homer in as many games......had

Don't forget to put in the * for 2 of them being against the Samardjha/Hammel less Cubs!

Too soon to use the 'against the Cubs' joke again?

The difference between the Reds and the White Sox regarding who's a contender.....the Reds are chasing the Brewers and the White Sox are chasing the Tigers......one team is known for hitting a slump in July and August

And FYI......Hamilton is 2 for 2 with a bunt single, a double, 2 stolen bases and a run scored.......he just stole 3rd and it was the first time in the game the cubs even attempted to throw him out......it also gives him 37 stolen bases, which ties the Cubs team total.

He's ridiculously fast!

Don't forget to put in the * for 2 of them being against the Samardjha/Hammel less Cubs!

Travis Wood is no chump.......and James Russel is one of the few consistent pitchers in their bullpen......bear in mind, both are lefties too.

Travis Wood is no chump.......and James Russel is one of the few consistent pitchers in their bullpen......bear in mind, both are lefties too.

The Cubs have thrown in the towel though. Any contending team should really sweep them and not make a fuss about it. Save the fuss for beating the good teams.

The Cubs have thrown in the towel though. Any contending team should really sweep them and not make a fuss about it. Save the fuss for beating the good teams.

Not easy to sweep a team though and the Cubs have some decent hitters.

I have every hope of a 5 game sweep.....lastnight was our weakest pitcher and they could only muster 3 runs (despite having a RISP in each of the first 7 innings)......Cubs have allowed NL ERA leader a 3 run lead in today's game.....and the final 3 of the series, the Cubs starting pitchers have a combined 2 major league appearances.

The only game I have any doubts about is tonight......it's tough to sweep a DH and the Reds are pitching Mike Holmberg who only has 1 start in the Majors

Not easy to sweep a team :D

I know, I know. I'm only joking. I know Ollie is enthusiastic about his Reds but getting overly excited about beating up on the Cubs these days is pretty funny.

I know, I know. I'm only joking. I know Ollie is enthusiastic about his Reds but getting overly excited about beating up on the Cubs these days is pretty funny.

More excited about the opportunity to close the gap......and honestly, who wouldn't be excited about playing the Cubs, it's the closest thing to a walk-over as we get in the central division.

• Advertisement

the Reds are pitching Mike Holmberg who only has 1 start in the Majors

I sometimes feel that works in the pitching team's favour. Well as long as he controls his nerves and can hit his spots for the most part. I know they get reports from Triple A but until a hitter comes up against the guy, he's probably at a disadvantage.

I used to get excited when I saw that the Mets were up against a guy making his first or second start. Then he goes 6 innings giving up only 2 hits and a walk and the Mets have 0 runs. But then again that happens them against experienced pitchers too...!!!

Just when the Cubs look like making a comeback.......they find a way to Cub it up again

and yes....."Cub it up" is a real phrase......just like "pulling a Homer"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

and yes....."Cub it up" is a real phrase......just like "pulling a Homer"

You sound like John Sterling

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    You sound like John Sterling

Anyone that spends 9 innings sitting next to a Cubs fan (or as far into 9 innings as they get before they leave or get thrown out) inherits the right to insult the Cubs indefinitely.

Germany have scored more in a half an hour of football than a lot of teams playing baseball will score tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yankees vs Clevland under 7.5 runs at evs great bet for tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Germany have scored more in a half an hour of football than a lot of teams playing baseball will score tonight.

Germany scored more tonite than the Jays have scored in the last 6 games! :o

The Cubs will find a way..........

This seems to be causing controversy at the moment :D

angel-hernandez.gif

Just nicked the outside of the plate don't you think ha ha?

What's the story here I haven't heard? They're WBC uniforms aren't they?

• Advertisement

Ah sorry!
    Yes that is the WBC.thought it was the call they were talking about. its a different one. but thats nice gif for your enjoyment.

It's the umpire, Angel Hernandez that is the issue in general.

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140708&content_id=83715478&notebook_id=83819594&vkey=notebook_sf&c_id=sf

Bit of a storm in a teacup, but I liked the original gif...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

It's the umpire, Angel Hernandez that is the issue in general.

There are a handful of umpires, and Hernandez is definitely one of them, who are terrible. They really should be fired. They are incompetent, and to cover that they make the game all about them. They are clowns who want to be the star of the show. It's not about the players or the fans, just them!

Bit of a storm in a teacup, but I liked the original gif...

Ha ha, I love the original one you showed. It's not even close!

As for the SF one, I'd love to be able to say it was a bad call but I haven't a clue how to spot a balk so I'll just have to take their word for it.

Yankees vs Clevland under 7.5 runs at evs great bet for tonight.

Are spreads or over/unders the only real way to make money on baseball? I don't gamble but had a look out of curiosity at the odds for straight up betting and the odds for neither team seemed to be great in most of the matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Are spreads or over/unders the only real way to make money on baseball? I don't gamble but had a look out of curiosity at the odds for straight up betting and the odds for neither team seemed to be great in most of the matches.

I always like 1st half betting (1st 5 innings) to back starters, Under 0.5 runs in 2nd inning, and over/under.

Red Sox have been great for Unders this season.

I only really do multiples, doubles or trebles, as you're right, single bets don't have attractive odds. Possible to make money for sure, I've had 2 winning seasons that were pretty profitable but last year was so-so and this year a disaster (though I have less time for everything this year)

Tanaka's gone to the DL. Hope it's nothing serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Tanaka's gone to the DL. Hope it's nothing serious.
    Hopefully as way too many young arms have gone down this season. When you read forearm, elbow and MRI in the one sentence you have got to be worried :(

Coeus wrote: »
    Hopefully as way too many young arms have gone down this season. When you read forearm, elbow and MRI in the one sentence you have got to be worried :(

What's his injury history in Japan? I know he was throwing a million pitches a year over there and I thought he never had any problems. But was he ever on the DL or whatever the equivalent is over there?

I just hope we don't hear the sentence "..off to visit Dr.James Andrews"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

What's his injury history in Japan? I know he was throwing a million pitches a year over there and I thought he never had any problems. But was he ever on the DL or whatever the equivalent is over there?

I just hope we don't hear the sentence "..off to visit Dr.James Andrews"
    Yea, I have read he had some shoulder issues earlier in his career but for this injury I wonder is he throwing his splitter more since he came to the majors. Its an incredible pitch but throwing it has got to be stressful on the arm.

People will have seen AJ Pierzynski was sent down and Christian Vazques called up.
    Ends up it was cus AJ was (as we all know) a pr1ck.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/rob-bradford/2014/07/10/aj-pierzynski-problem-was-worse-anybody-could

• Advertisement
Advertisement