Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Just noticed there that the Astros swept the Rangers in Texas and have now climbed above the Rangers in the AL West. Glad to see them getting some success (it's all relative!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Just noticed there that the Astros swept the Rangers in Texas and have now climbed above the Rangers in the AL West. Glad to see them getting some success (it's all relative!)

Just needed a change of scenery (ignore the fact that they're 19 games out of first)......it works with players, maybe it works with entire teams too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Probably more to do with the Rangers being awful this year. But watch out for the Astros, they're coming. They're going to be contending in that division in a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

Probably more to do with the Rangers being awful this year. But watch out for the Astros, they're coming. They're going to be contending in that division in a couple of years.

With that young team, even next year is not beyond them. Tough division!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Agree big time, they have some nice young arms to go with Singleton, Springer and a heap of other prospects who are almost ready to come through. They will be tough to beat in a couple of years.

Reds giving the Cubbies a chance today.....Phillips, Hamilton, Mesoraco and Bruce all out of the line-up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Reds giving the Cubbies a chance today.....Phillips, Hamilton, Mesoraco and Bruce all out of the line-up

Not Working though 4-1 Reds after 3

Not Working though 4-1 Reds after 3

We can only do so much........

CUBS WIN.....CUBS WIN!!

• Advertisement

CUBS WIN.....CUBS WIN!!

I wouldn't be worrying about 1 loss, especially after winning the first 4 in the series. The big issue is Philips gone for 8-12 weeks. That, along with the uncertainty of Votto is a bit of a bummer I'd imagine.

But on the bright side, the Brewers are getting hammered again!

I wouldn't be worrying about 1 loss, especially after winning the first 4 in the series. The big issue is Philips gone for 8-12 weeks. That, along with the uncertainty of Votto is a bit of a bummer I'd imagine.

But on the bright side, the Brewers are getting hammered again!

Phillips out 8-12 weeks, Votto out indefinitely, Bailey came out of the game with a knee injury, Schumaker ran face first into the wall.......plenty to worry about.

I'm amazed that the Cubs took 12 innings to win, starter out in the 5th inning, 5 starters out of the Reds line-up.......just need to limp through this last series and get to the break

Phillips out 8-12 weeks, Votto out indefinitely, Bailey came out of the game with a knee injury, Schumaker ran face first into the wall.......plenty to worry about.

I'm amazed that the Cubs took 12 innings to win, starter out in the 5th inning, 5 starters out of the Reds line-up.......just need to limp through this last series and get to the break

I found this hilarious in America where the media talk about the All Star Break as if its a month, its 4 days! It will only make a difference for those who are fit and a little fatigued the likes of Billy Hamilton will benefit significantly and maybe Schumaker, teams with injury problems get a bit of time off but not enough to be significant. :D:D

You were right on with the cubs winning though Ollie, screwed a heap of my accumulators! :D:D

I found this hilarious in America where the media talk about the All Star Break as if its a month, its 4 days! It will only make a difference for those who are fit and a little fatigued the likes of Billy Hamilton will benefit significantly and maybe Schumaker, teams with injury problems get a bit of time off but not enough to be significant.

The one bunch of people I'd say it does help are relievers. 4 days off for them is probably like a month's holiday.

I know a couple of the Mets relievers have been overworked recently and showing signs of fatigue so hopefully the few days off will be good for them. I'd imagine most teams are in the same boat.

I found this hilarious in America where the media talk about the All Star Break as if its a month, its 4 days! It will only make a difference for those who are fit and a little fatigued the likes of Billy Hamilton will benefit significantly and maybe Schumaker, teams with injury problems get a bit of time off but not enough to be significant. :D:D

You were right on with the cubs winning though Ollie, screwed a heap of my accumulators! :D:D

But that's the situation the reds are in, Phillips and Votto are done, but Hamilton, Shumaker, pena and bailey have nagging minor injuries that 4 days will significantly help.........

It may just be 4 days, but that's huge when you've been playing a man down, and playing 8 games in 7 days

But that's the situation the reds are in, Phillips and Votto are done, but Hamilton, Shumaker, pena and bailey have nagging minor injuries that 4 days will significantly help.........

It may just be 4 days, but that's huge when you've been playing a man down, and playing 8 games in 7 days

Wasnt really taking about the reds man was just saying that on MLB network and watching Fox Sports, they were talking about the All Star break like it was a month off! :D:D

Should definitely help the reds alright, you have to fancy this division will go right down to the wire with the Cards, Pirates, Reds and Brewers all there at the end

• Advertisement

Wasnt really taking about the reds man was just saying that on MLB network and watching Fox Sports, they were talking about the All Star break like it was a month off! :D:D

Should definitely help the reds alright, you have to fancy this division will go right down to the wire with the Cards, Pirates, Reds and Brewers all there at the end

They make a big deal out of it, but it really is for a lot of teams.

Think of it this way......can you imagine (or perhaps you do) having to work either 6 or 7 days every week for 3 months......how relieved would you be to get 4 days off one week?

They make a big deal out of it, but it really is for a lot of teams.

Think of it this way......can you imagine (or perhaps you do) having to work either 6 or 7 days every week for 3 months......how relieved would you be to get 4 days off one week?

I know they're paid well but it must be a grind. Makes Cal Rypkien's achievement even more amazing really.

As I say they're well paid but spare a thought for the guys in the minors who have the same 6-7 day schedule but for fractions of the pay. And most of them will never play on majors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I know they're paid well but it must be a grind. Makes Cal Rypkien's achievement even more amazing really.

As I say they're well paid but spare a thought for the guys in the minors who have the same 6-7 day schedule but for fractions of the pay. And most of them will never play on majors.

Traipsing around the minors sounds horrific

Traipsing around the minors sounds horrific

Especially if you weren't lucky enough to get a big signing bonus out of the draft. Up as far as AA they earn pittance and at the lower end they rely on being put up by host families

In one of Dirk Hayhurt's books he describes going from living in a dingy 2 bed flat with 2 other players and one of them having to sleep on the couch when he was in AAA to staying in a luxurious 5 star hotel with room service etc. when he first got called up to the majors.

Especially if you weren't lucky enough to get a big signing bonus out of the draft. Up as far as AA they earn pittance and at the lower end they rely on being put up by host families

In one of Dirk Hayhurt's books he describes going from living in a dingy 2 bed flat with 2 other players and one of them having to sleep on the couch when he was in AAA to staying in a luxurious 5 star hotel with room service etc. when he first got called up to the majors.

It has changed a little bit, at least AAA travel by air that majority of the time now......but the newfound wealth only goes down so far......most minor league teams AA or lower still bus it to games. And sleeping 3 or 4 guys to a room in a holiday inn is quite accurate......it makes me think of Joey Votto's contract, which included a clause that the team have to book him a penthouse suite in every hotel the team stay in.

• Advertisement

It has changed a little bit, at least AAA travel by air that majority of the time now......but the newfound wealth only goes down so far......most minor league teams AA or lower still bus it to games. And sleeping 3 or 4 guys to a room in a holiday inn is quite accurate......it makes me think of Joey Votto's contract, which included a clause that the team have to book him a penthouse suite in every hotel the team stay in.

Is Votto a little into himself or high maintenance?

Is Votto a little into himself or high maintenance?

He's known to be very reclusive.......he has been working on it lately, but at the time he signed the contract he very much kept to himself.....the idea of the suite was that he'd have everything he needed in the room and basically would only leave when it was time to ride the bus to the ballpark.

Reds come from behind again......but lose another pitcher........at this point they're down to 3 bench players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Rough twenty four hours for the brewers organisation. They blew a big lead but I just heard on the mets game commentary that jean serguras nine month old son died. Awful stuff.

Not surprisingly they are losing 5-0 to St. Louis right now.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Rough twenty four hours for the brewers organisation. They blew a big lead but I just heard on the mets game commentary that jean serguras nine month old son died. Awful stuff.

Not surprisingly they are losing 5-0 to St. Louis right now.

That's awful stuff. I hadn't heard about that till they said it. Puts thing into perspective eh?

That's awful stuff. I hadn't heard about that till they said it. Puts thing into perspective eh?

Winning a baseball game doesn't seem that important after something like that does it ?

Mets go ahead 5-4 against the marlins.

Mets win 5-4

So no real baseball till Friday. Anyone any interest on the HR Derby or ASG?

I'll check out the box score and maybe watch a highlight or two but apart from that I couldn't care less.

I would have liked to see the Futures game yesterday as I enjoyed that last year but I forgot all about it to be honest and I don't know was it available for us to see over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

So no real baseball till Friday. Anyone any interest on the HR Derby or ALS?

I'll check out the box score and maybe watch a highlight or two but apart from that I couldn't care less.

I would have liked to see the Futures game yesterday as I enjoyed that last year but I forgot all about it to be honest and I don't know was it available for us to see over here.

No interest in either.

• Advertisement

So no real baseball till Friday. Anyone any interest on the HR Derby or ALS?

I'll watch both, but just because there's nothing else on TV........but if i were back in ireland, I definitely wouldn't be waiting up for it.

First time since I've moved that I've had a player from my team in the HR derby too.

I'll watch both, but just because there's nothing else on TV........but if i were back in ireland, I definitely wouldn't be waiting up for it.

First time since I've moved that I've had a player from my team in the HR derby too.

I find the HRD very boring. I watched it one year early on in my time following baseball but never again

I know they've added teams to it and put in a couple of other tweaks but there are too many lives for each player meaning it feels like it goes on forever.

It does drag on.......but I'm all about the long bombs.......miss the days that Joe Morgan called the homers instead of Berman

I find the HRD very boring. I watched it one year early on in my time following baseball but never again

I know they've added teams to it and put in a couple of other tweaks but there are too many lives for each player meaning it feels like it goes on forever.

It will be interesting to see how the new format pans out......it certainly should speed it up a little.....cutting 3 outs per batter in every round will make a huge difference, so will giving the top guy from each league in the first round a bye to the semi-round.

Forgot the Futures game was on last night.

Caespedes is ridiculous. If he can turn on those clutch hits for the A's he will be a big factor in how they do in the post season. Ridiculous.

Really can't wait for the HR derby next year.......short walls in left and right field, but I can imagine that the lefties will be back in the line-up again. They'll have a good shot at putting a few balls in the river

Really can't wait for the HR derby next year.......short walls in left and right field, but I can imagine that the lefties will be back in the line-up again. They'll have a good shot at putting a few balls in the river

In your home town next year isnt it Ollie?

Stanton , Bautista and Caespedes should be terrific to watch there!

In your home town next year isnt it Ollie?

Stanton , Bautista and Caespedes should be terrific to watch there!

Yep......and 500 footers will be close to hitting the jumbo-tron in left field.....470+ has a chance of leaving the ballpark in rightfield.

There's only about a 10 foot stretch in centerfield that's over 400 feet, apart from that anything 400 feet and over is out.

• Advertisement

For reference

GreatAmericanBallpark.gif

For reference

GreatAmericanBallpark.gif

If they hit bombs like last night it will be terrific! I'm hoping to get there on my next trip over so looking forward to it!

Dan Uggla has reportedly been cut by the Braves.....his BA has been steadily dropping for the past 4 years but you never know what a change of scenery will do for a guy.

Considering his recent history he's going to be cheap for whatever team signs him, would you take a chance on him?

Wouldn't be all that surprised if the Reds do, they need a 2nd baseman for the next 2 months.....Uggla is also batting over .320 in Cincinnati since 2010

Interesting that the Astros didn't sign the number one pick in the draft and the knock on effect that it had as they them missed out on 2 other of their top picks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Interesting that the Astros didn't sign the number one pick in the draft and the knock on effect that it had as they them missed out on 2 other of their top picks.
    Sounds like a bit of a disaster for the Astros, they tried to be cute and lost all 3 guys. They do get the 2nd pick in next years draft as compensation but could lose both 1st round picks if the grievance one of the other 2 guys filed is successful. For a team thats rebuilding could be a disaster.

Padres leading the mets 1-0 with a no no going.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Padres leading the mets 1-0 with a no no going.

I didn't want to be the first to mention the no-no for fear of being accused of jinxing it. He's throwing some funny stuff, great to watch (if I was a neutral).

The Padres are the last team without a no hitter

EDIT - and they remain the last team without one.

I didn't want to be the first to mention the no-no for fear of being accused of jinxing it. He's throwing some funny stuff, great to watch (if I was a neutral).

The Padres are the last team without a no hitter

EDIT - and they remain the last team without one.

Yeah some of the pitches are not stuff you'd nornmally see. I mean one of the pitches he was throwing was reaching the plate at 58mph. If he wasn't against the mets I'd have been hoping he would do but murph ended it with a double and it's only a 1-0 game so the mets were still in it.

I know the Padres desperately want a no hitter but after hitting a batter and walking 2 to load the bases in the previous inning, he was obviously struggling. Very tough for the manager and I'd say most would have done the exact same and left him in but now it's a tied game.

Edit - Padres win anyway!

Dan Uggla has reportedly been cut by the Braves.....his BA has been steadily dropping for the past 4 years but you never know what a change of scenery will do for a guy.

Considering his recent history he's going to be cheap for whatever team signs him, would you take a chance on him?

Wouldn't be all that surprised if the Reds do, they need a 2nd baseman for the next 2 months.....Uggla is also batting over .320 in Cincinnati since 2010

I would 100% gamble on a cheap Uggla, he had that eye problem last season but were there not reports that it would take a while to get adjusted? I would definitely go for him if I was in the reds current position.

The Derek 'Michael' Jeter going away show is very tedious at this stage.
    The last time he'll do this and that etc etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement