Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Given Lester was scrathced, he has to be traded?

But Price wasn't scratched....

Red Sox trade Doubront to the Cubs and Lackey talks going on with KC.

They could lose their starting rotation by this evening (Thou Doubront has been in the bullpen recently).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Red Sox trade Doubront...

Who came out of the bullpen the other night vs Blue Jays and got absolutely lit up! I find it amazing that a WS winner can finish bottom of their division the very next year. I wonder has it happened before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

mod9maple wrote: »
    I find it amazing that a WS winner can finish bottom of their division the very next year. I wonder has it happened before?

I don't know has it ever happened before but as a fan of a team that hasn't contended in a while, I gladly take a year of success even if it meant a few bad years afterwards.

I know it's not the same as Boston but look at the Phillies. They went all in a few years back and gave ridiculous contracts out but they won a World Series, got to another and were an elite team for a few years. But now they're paying the price with overpaid stars who they can't shift and are well past their best. So it'll probably be a few years of misery before they can contend again. I'd still take it though for the run they had though.

There's no short term fix for Philly.

They need a complete rebuild. Hamels is their best asset, but he still won't get you as much as they need!

Lee, despite excellent, doesnt command much at this point in his career, bar being traded to a contendor, once again for prospects.

And we all know that solid draft picks for the next 2-3 years mean nothing if the players don't make the step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Given Lester was scrathced, he has to be traded?

But Price wasn't scratched....

Red Sox trade Doubront to the Cubs and Lackey talks going on with KC.

They could lose their starting rotation by this evening (Thou Doubront has been in the bullpen recently).

Doubront, Lackey, Lester and Peavy were the only starting pitchers used in the World Series last year, all could be gone within 10 months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Trade deadline just blew-up......Lester to A's for Cespedes

Edit: Gomes also included with Lester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Man that A's side look almost unstoppable now

Moneyball.....Gomes vs Cespedes.....$5.5m less for a guy with a higher OBP.....lose out on HR and RBIs, but if the movie taught us anything, Billy Beane values OBP above all else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Had a feeling Lester would end up with the A's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Moneyball.....Gomes vs Cespedes.....$5.5m less for a guy with a higher OBP.....lose out on HR and RBIs, but if the movie taught us anything, Billy Beane values OBP above all else.

Yeah but as Beane knows and says moneyball wont win you the World Series just the regular season. However Lester , Samardja will win you the World Series!

• Advertisement

Yeah but as Beane knows and says moneyball wont win you the World Series just the regular season. However Lester , Samardja will win you the World Series!

What about Hammel? Tough start....

Wow. Didn't see that coming.

Had a feeling Lester would end up with the A's

Really? You're probably the only one that did then. Of all the teams rumoured to be in the mix,Oakland wasn't a team I'd read about.

Two great points there. I'd like to see them win it to be honest. They're one of the team I've always liked and not because of Moneyball.

Interestingly, As acquired Sam Fuld for Milone.
    He's an interesting platoon player who plays across the OF.
    Gomes and him might share time.

Lackey going to Cards I think, or maybe Dodgers, but looking to be Cards.

Update

Lester –Gone

Lackey – Gone

Peavy – Gone

Doubront - Gone

Update

Lester –Gone

Lackey – Gone

Peavy – Gone

Doubront - Gone

Ah well, at least Clay '5.87 ERA' Bucholz is still there!

Allan Craig, Cespedes and Joe Smith in, happy with that to be honest, outfield help was top of my list! Re-sign Lester in offseason and 2015 looking better already

Boston are selling big but are going to be big winners in the end.......

They know that they're out of it this year so think of next season, the rumor is that Lackey and Lester will both re-sign as free-agents this winter, Gomes possibly also. Andrew Miller is a free agent after this year and could also potentially return (It's not unheard of for players to make this kind of agreement prior to a trade in their final contract year.

So far they've aquired;

Cespedes (signed through 2015)
    Allen Craig (through 2017)
    Joe Kelly (through 2018)

and could potentially have those players, plus everyone they gave up to get them, back on the roster next season.

Boston are selling big but are going to be big winners in the end.......

They know that they're out of it this year so think of next season, the rumor is that Lackey and Lester will both re-sign as free-agents this winter, Gomes possibly also. Andrew Miller is a free agent after this year and could also potentially return (It's not unheard of for players to make this kind of agreement prior to a trade in their final contract year.

So far they've aquired;

Cespedes (signed through 2015)
    Allen Craig (through 2017)
    Joe Kelly (through 2018)

and could potentially have those players, plus everyone they gave up to get them, back on the roster next season.

I agree Ollie potentially this could be great for Boston next season, although if the A's bring home the bacon they may sign Lester long term.

• Advertisement

I agree Ollie potentially this could be great for Boston next season, although if the A's bring home the bacon they may sign Lester long term.

I wouldn't take lackey back. He'll be at the age of 35 with career ERA over 4. There's better options

What's Parra of the D'Backs like? He's just gone to the Brewers so they're re-stocking too.

Price to the Tigers.

An ALCS between the Tigers and A's would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Verlander as the forth starter for the Tigers. Wow.

Austin Jackson has just been pulled from the game mid inning.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Verlander as the forth starter for the Tigers. Wow.

Austin Jackson has just been pulled from the game mid inning.

That was gas. Where else would you get players changing teams in the middle of a game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

That was gas. Where else would you get players changing teams in the middle of a game?

Certainly not in any other sport I watch. I wonder did Jackson know anything about it before the game or did he just realise it when he was pulled...

Apparently it's Cespedas t-shirt giveaway night in Oakland on Sunday. Memo to PR department - do not plan any giveaway night in or around the trade deadline!

What's Parra of the D'Backs like? He's just gone to the Brewers so they're re-stocking too.

Plus-defense, average-bat......a quality move for them, with Braun, Gomez and Parra across the outfield, there'll be no cheap doubles in Milwaukee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

meanwhile in Toronto...

tumbleweed.jpg

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote: »
    meanwhile in Toronto...

I'd love if AA had got a SP but they're not worth the asking price. The Jays have great prospects coming through and more to come. They gave up enough in the Marlins deal. I honestly think they have enough to make the post-season. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

Lawrie, Lind and Edwin are due back soon, Morrow too, and with the easier schedule than the Os I could see them winning the East.

I'd love if AA had got a SP but they're not worth the asking price. The Jays have great prospects coming through and more to come. They gave up enough in the Marlins deal. I honestly think they have enough to make the post-season. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

Lawrie, Lind and Edwin are due back soon, Morrow too, and with the easier schedule than the Os I could see them winning the East.

No move is better than a bad move that is made just to be seen to be doing something.

As far as I'm concerned, according to how I understand the new rules, the call should have been overturned. The Marlins catcher (is it Jeff Mathis, ex-Blue Jay?) was not making room for a slide.

A few nights ago Melky Cabrera was also called out on a similar play, having to run round the catcher blocking the plate and after review the play stood, he was called out. The catcher was quite clearly blocking, there was no lane.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/63817564/v34949615/torbos-out-call-at-the-plate-confirmed-in-the-6th/?c_id=mlb

Teething problems? No-one seems to know the rule, including replay analysts in NY.

I think the call was made correctly.....even though I don't agree with the rule as it is.

I like the idea of not allowing the catcher to block the plate prior to fielding the ball (as it is with every other fielder) but it can't be a black and white rule, there's has to be some level of judgement based on where the runner actually is.

In last nights example, Mathis did block the plate prior to fielding the ball, but at that point, Cozart was still 20-30 feet away.

Teething problems? No-one seems to know the rule, including replay analysts in NY.

That's the big issue. Players aren't exactly sure what they're supposed to do or what they're allowed to do and managers and umpires don't seem clear on how to interpret the rules either.

• Advertisement

The confusion all seems to be surrounding the part of the rule where it says that the catcher can inadvertently block the plate if the throw takes him up the line.

In the case last night, the catcher claims that if he stayed where he was, he would have had to field the ball on the short-hop (I disagree with his claim, the ball bounced almost level with the mound so the 1-2 foot difference between where he was and where he moved to wasn't the difference between fielding a short hop or not), so he moved back a step (into the position where he blocked the plate).....the question is, does the rule allow for catchers moving into an illegal position to make fielding the ball more comfortable, or does it have to be a case where the physically can't reach the ball without going there.

I'm not sold on the short-hop argument, in that case, you can still field the ball without blocking the plate (allbeit more difficult) but it's not a case where the throw forced you into the basepath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nice to see the mets kept it close after I had to stop watching.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Nice to see the mets kept it close after I had to stop watching.

Hitting's been bad all season but they've really got themselves in trouble these past couple of days. 2 hit yesterday and even though they got the win on Saturday, Peavy was perfect was 7.1 innings against the before they got a couple of bloop hits and scored a few runs.

Reds finally figured out that if you get a lot of hits, and score a lot of runs.....you have a better chance of winning games.

I hope the coaching staff took notes.

• Advertisement

Another mini implusion from the Nats .. Man this is frustrating!

Man this is frustrating!

Seriously? A 3 game lead in the division and your closest rival has lost 6 in a row. And you have the Mets coming to town for a series.

You're sounding like a Yankees fan ha ha...!!!!

Seriously? A 3 game lead in the division and your closest rival has lost 6 in a row. And you have the Mets coming to town for a series.

You're sounding like a Yankees fan ha ha...!!!!

Hey man thats totally unfair .. we've never won a World Series and just when things are getting going the bullpen and starters seem to have an implosion every week!

But we do have the mets visiting :-)

So Biogenesis is back in the news.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24649312/report-more-players-to-be-named-in-connection-with-biogenesis

I've really enjoyed the season so far and the fact that there seems to be more parity than ever is going to make the last 2 months very exciting so I hope it doesn't get sidetracked by suspensions to important players. Obviously any player that was juicing deserves to go but I really hope it's just small time players or players on non-contending teams* that are on the list so the playoff race isn't impacted.

* And for God sake, please don't let there be any Mets on the list. If you're on PEDs and are still this bad, there's no hope for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Have finally got around to watching it and getting the ruling as stated in the 2014 mlb rule book, Which I've quoted below.
    7.13 COLLISIONS AT HOME PLATE.
    (1) A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate). If, in the judgment of the umpire, a runner attempting to score initiates contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate) in such a manner, the umpire shall declare the runner out (even if the player covering home plate loses possession of the ball). In such circumstances, the umpire shall call the ball dead, and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the collision.
    Rule 7.13(1) Comment: The failure by the runner to make an effort to touch the plate, the run- ner’s lowering of the shoulder, or the runner’s pushing through with his hands, elbows or arms, would support a determination that the runner deviated from the pathway in order to initiate contact with the catcher in violation of Rule 7.13. If the runner slides into the plate in an appropriate manner, he shall not be adjudged to have violated Rule 7.13. A slide shall be deemed appropriate, in the case of a feet first slide, if the runner’s buttocks and legs should hit the ground before contact with the catcher. In the case of a head first slide, a runner shall be deemed to have slid appropriately if his body should hit the ground before contact with the catcher.
    (2) Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score. If, in the judgment of the umpire, the catcher without possession of the ball blocks the pathway of the runner, the umpire shall call or signal the runner safe. Notwithstanding the above, it shall not be con- sidered a violation of this Rule 7.13 if the catcher blocks the pathway of the runner in order to field a throw, and the umpire determines that the catcher could not have fielded the ball without blocking the pathway of the runner and that contact with the runner was unavoidable.

F****n Mets!

F****n Nats!!

Aaaarrrggghhhh at least I am back in America at the end of the week and will get to see some live baseball .... although hopefully it wont be this frustrating ... AAAArrrrgggghhh!!!!!

On a side note my wife made it down to pick up a Jayson Werth Garden Knome giveaway yesterday or the day before not sure which :-)

F****n Mets!

F****n Nats!!

Aaaarrrggghhhh at least I am back in America at the end of the week and will get to see some live baseball .... although hopefully it wont be this frustrating ... AAAArrrrgggghhh!!!!!

On a side note my wife made it down to pick up a Jayson Werth Garden Knome giveaway yesterday or the day before not sure which :-)

At least the Braves lost again as well so no change in the standings. Last night was the garden gnome giveaway and Werth was struck by the giveaway curse by twisting his ankle running to first (no injury though luckily) and then getting thrown out at home later on.

Which games are you planning to see this time?

At least the Braves lost again as well so no change in the standings. Last night was the garden gnome giveaway and Werth was struck by the giveaway curse by twisting his ankle running to first (no injury though luckily) and then getting thrown out at home later on.

Which games are you planning to see this time?

I am definitely going to the Orioles/Yankees next week in Camden, two ofthe three games between Giants/Nats in Washington and I am hoping to hit a game in Pittsburgh(Probably the Braves), one in Cleveland and one in St Louis hopefully the Sunday Cinci game.

Cant wait to get out of this country for a couple of weeks.

I am definitely going to the Orioles/Yankees next week in Camden, two ofthe three games between Giants/Nats in Washington and I am hoping to hit a game in Pittsburgh(Probably the Braves), one in Cleveland and one in St Louis hopefully the Sunday Cinci game.

Cant wait to get out of this country for a couple of weeks.

Sounds cool. Enjoy!

And please post your experiences afterwards

• Advertisement
Advertisement