Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ubaldo Jiminez handed the largest contract the Orioles ever gave to a pitcher.

By all accounts looked good in spring training but he's stinking it up in Yankee Stadium today

Walked 5, gave up 4 runs and got pulled in the 5th leaving the bases loaded

13 base runners in 4.2 innings. Two poor starts in a row, looks like Ubaldo is back to 2011-12 Ubaldo. Wonderful :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Leadoff double for Billy Hamilton......IT'S ON!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Leadoff double for Billy Hamilton......IT'S ON!

Doesn't have Anthony Recker to deal with today either!

EDIT - But caught in a rundown off third nevertheless. Only 1 out as well, rookie mistake.

EDIT 2 - Poxy weather in St. Louis.

Doesn't have Anthony Recker to deal with today either!

EDIT - But caught in a rundown off third nevertheless. Only 1 out as well, rookie mistake.

EDIT 2 - Poxy weather in St. Louis.

Not concerned with the out at all......no problem being aggressive early in the game, they played 3 games decided by 1 run last week.

The key is that he got on base.

Tony Cingrani has given up 5 hits or less in his last 19 starts, that's the longest such streak in over 100 years........there's also the fact that he's only started 19 games in his career......surprising that a guy that throws 80-85% fastballs has never given up more than 5 hits in a game.
    You realise we are jinxing him now :-)

I think this one's on you Ollie

I think this one's on you Ollie

That's only 3 hits

That's only 3 hits

Ha ha, true. Pity there are 8 innings to go

Ha ha, true. Pity there are 8 innings to go

I never said those 19 starts were all long ones :p

Maybe it's the rain. I know Wacca's got through 2 unscathed but he's given up a couple of hits and gone to 3-2 counts a couple of times too.

• Advertisement

Bit of a comeback on now. Enjoy the rest of the game Ollie, I've got to head.

20 consecutive starts of 5 hits or less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Benimar wrote: »
    13 base runners in 4.2 innings. Two poor starts in a row, looks like Ubaldo is back to 2011-12 Ubaldo. Wonderful :(

Did the Jays dodge a bullet? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

mod9maple wrote: »
    Did the Jays dodge a bullet? :eek:

Certainly looks like the O's may have got 'Bad Ubaldo'. It's very early in the season but it's fair to say that his current troubles aren't exactly new to him.

Doesn't bode well for us as he's our supposed No2 starter (insert joke here!)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

11-4 Orioles in the 6th.

11 runs on 15 hits.

Yankees bullpen isn't even getting loose.

16 hits on 45 pitches. One hit every three pitches. Wow.

It's now 13-4 Baltimore over the Yankees.

• Advertisement

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    It's now 13-4 Baltimore over the Yankees.

You seem a bit obsessed on the Yankees. i'd be focused more on the Rays if I was you. I know they aren't off to a hot start (but it's all evenly balanced in the AL East) but they'll be a the big challengers to the Red Sox as opposed to the Yankees.

You seem a bit obsessed on the Yankees. i'd be focused more on the Rays if I was you. I know they aren't off to a hot start (but it's all evenly balanced in the AL East) but they'll be a the big challengers to the Red Sox as opposed to the Yankees.

I lived in Boston a long time... I enjoy the Yankes losing as much as the Red Sox winning...

And it's now 14-4 Baltimore... Yankees pitchers have given up 20 hits... oof...

I lived in Boston a long time... I enjoy the Yankes losing as much as the Red Sox winning...

And it's now 14-4 Baltimore... Yankees pitchers have given up 20 hits... oof...

Fair enough, but if you had the choice of the Yankees winning only 60 games but the Rays winning the division or both the Yankees and Red Sox getting into the playoffs, what would you pick?

Fair enough, but if you had the choice of the Yankees winning only 60 games but the Rays winning the division or both the Yankees and Red Sox getting into the playoffs, what would you pick?

I think they're kinda unrelated as my rooting for the Yankees to never win another game doesn't mean I want the Rays to win...

Given a choice I'd rather the Yankees finish last every year and the Sox first... The rest I don't care...

I think they're kinda unrelated as my rooting for the Yankees to never win another game doesn't mean I want the Rays to win...

Given a choice I'd rather the Yankees finish last every year and the Sox first... The rest I don't care...

Well what I meant was the Yankees being rubbish but the Red Sox missing out you the playoffs as well or both of them getting in (I just picked the Rays as an example).

I know it's only hypothetical and I'm only having laugh but maybe it's just me but I focus mainly on my own team (and that's stressful enough, without having to worry about how another team is doing!). And remember, I'm a Mets fan so i hate the Yankees too!

• Advertisement

Well what I meant was the Yankees being rubbish but the Red Sox missing out you the playoffs as well or both of them getting in (I just picked the Rays as an example).

I know it's only hypothetical and I'm only having laugh but maybe it's just me but I focus mainly on my own team (and that's stressful enough, without having to worry about how another team is doing!). And remember, I'm a Mets fan so i hate the Yankees too!

I have juuuuust enough focus to do both ;)

I know what you meant, btw., but I just don't see the two as related... I don't think the Yanks will do as well this year as the Rays, who seem to be poised for something great, if not this year then very soon... but.. but... I do - in my gut- feel a bit better about life when the Yankees are losing... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

The Yankees are 4-4 after a 6 game road trip to start the season. Everyone needs to chill out before writing them off.
    This is what the Yankees do, they win games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

8-0 Rangers and it's only the 4th inning I guess the Red Sox are trying to match the Yankees again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Yordano Ventura looks seriously good. That fastball is awesome!

Votto has always been criticized for being an introvert and shying away from media and fan attention (which doesn't sit well when you've been given a 10 year $200million contract)......This offseason, Votto made an effort to become more fan and media friendly including appearing on local talk radio taking calls for a full hour on 5 consecutive weeks leading up to spring training.

Votto's new persona came to a climax today, in epic fashion.......

Enjoy!

8-0 Rangers and it's only the 4th inning I guess the Red Sox are trying to match the Yankees again.

At least the Sox kinda kept fighting. Futilely.

Votto has always been criticized for being an introvert and shying away from media and fan attention (which doesn't sit well when you've been given a 10 year $200million contract)......This offseason, Votto made an effort to become more fan and media friendly including appearing on local talk radio taking calls for a full hour on 5 consecutive weeks leading up to spring training.

Votto's new persona came to a climax today, in epic fashion.......

Enjoy!

This is awesome! Thanks for posting it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

At least the Sox kinda kept fighting. Futilely.

First series with the Yankee's coming up for you this week. Should be an interesting series.

Yankees are so poor not sure how they are 4-4. Red Sox probably deserve to be where they are. The head to heads in this division will be key as usual.

First series with the Yankee's coming up for you this week. Should be an interesting series.

Yankees are so poor not sure how they are 4-4. Red Sox probably deserve to be where they are. The head to heads in this division will be key as usual.

The only game the Sox should have won was probably the first one. The rest is pretty much as it is.

I am very excited to see this series! Especially considering that it's mostly day games :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The only game the Sox should have won was probably the first one. The rest is pretty much as it is.

I am very excited to see this series! Especially considering that it's mostly day games :)

Only 1 of the 4 is a day game. I'm heading to the Friday night game, Lester v Sabathia.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Only 1 of the 4 is a day game. I'm heading to the Friday night game, Lester v Sabathia.

ah god you're right, I saw the last one and read 1PM... not 1AM! :(

Jealous you'll be there! Have a lot of fun! I have friends that have season tix... trying to go back this year and catch a couple myself :)

8-10 wrote: »

Great game to get for you man! I think you'll enjoy that, have a feeling Boston will beat up on Sabathia.

Should be a good series. The new Yankees against the Champions. Enjoy the game 8-10

Should be a good series. The new Yankees against the Champions. Enjoy the game 8-10

Bartolo was top class last night Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

Easy to see where the Diamondbacks are now 2-8:

"The numbers through nine games are unsightly for the rotation: a 6.18 ERA, only 51 innings, only two quality starts. The bullpen, with a 6.11 ERA, has also stumbled."

Could be a long hot season for us in the desert.

Bartolo was top class last night Jack.

I didn't see any of it (or even any highlights) but putting up zeroes is always good. Valverde did his best to blow it for him in the 9th though which is worrying

Your boy Gio's looking pretty special this year too.

I didn't see any of it (or even any highlights) but putting up zeroes is always good. Valverde did his best to blow it for him in the 9th though which is worrying

Your boy Gio's looking pretty special this year too.

Honestly my only worry on the pitching is Strasbourg and Soriano. I'm certain Strasbourg will settle down and be an ace but he seems to get nervous and i dont like that. Soriano , I guess I just dont trust him.

Once Harper starts raking the Nats are going to very hard to beat.

Honestly my only worry on the pitching is Strasbourg and Soriano. I'm certain Strasbourg will settle down and be an ace but he seems to get nervous and i dont like that. Soriano , I guess I just dont trust him.

Once Harper starts raking the Nats are going to very hard to beat.

I don't know if you ever listen to ESPN980 but they were on about Williams changing the lineup every day and how players like consistency and if he keeps it up it'll drive them mad. Has he had the same line up two games in a row yet?

I know Harper might be a bit dazed still but you can't have him batting sixth.

I don't know if you ever listen to ESPN980 but they were on about Williams changing the lineup every day and how players like consistency and if he keeps it up it'll drive them mad. Has he had the same line up two games in a row yet?

I know Harper might be a bit dazed still but you can't have him batting sixth.

Its kind of a form thing, Rendon, Werth, La Roche and Desmond are just better at the moment. Rendon looks really good and is producing on that promise he showed last year. I think Harper goes back to the number 2 spot when he starts hitting again.

Had the lineup the same for 2 of the Braves games. I think both of the ones that were lost.

I havent listened to ESPN980 is it any good?

• Advertisement

I havent listened to ESPN980 is it any good?

It's very good for Redskins stuff (the station is owned by San Snyder and is the official station of the team) especially during the season. the pre-game and post game coverage is excellent.

As for baseball, they do cover the Nats news and reports etc. as part of their shows but as they aren't the official station of the team, it isn't too the same level as it is for the Redskins.

But if you're a Washington sports fan, it's a good station to listen to as they do Wizards and Capitals stuff too. Tony Kornheiser from PTI on ESPN has a great show from 3-5pm our time which is very good.

Hey Ollie, Reds are doing well. Where's your updates? Great tag from Hamilton there.

Hey Ollie, Reds are doing well. Where's your updates? Great tag from Hamilton there.

That's why Billy is hitting leadoff. On base 3 times today

Of course 3 double plays help.....bunt single for b-ham to make it a 3-4 day.....add in a 2nd stolen base too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Looks Like the Rays will be losing Moore for a while if not the season. I'm just reading there he is visiting James Andrews today for a second opinion on his elbow injury. That is never good sign!

Coeus wrote: »
    Looks Like the Rays will be losing Moore for a while if not the season. I'm just reading there he is visiting James Andrews today for a second opinion on his elbow injury. That is never good sign!

Hearing the words James and Andrews in a sentence about baseball pitchers is never good.

• Advertisement

They've announced new end of season awards for relief pitches and named them after Mo and Hoffman.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10756425/mariano-rivera-trevor-hoffman-new-awards-named-them

Does this mean we have to go back and edit our predictions?

It's nice that they are rewarding them two though. A nice idea.

Its kind of a form thing, Rendon, Werth, La Roche and Desmond are just better at the moment. Rendon looks really good and is producing on that promise he showed last year. I think Harper goes back to the number 2 spot when he starts hitting again.

Harper now batting 7th because (according to Williams) they're facing a lefty. Is this a rookie manager tinkering too much or a stroke of genius? I know he's on a bad run and as you say, others are hitting better, but it's only been about a week. Surely Williams is getting ahead of himself? This can't be good for Harper's confidence.

Harper now batting 7th because (according to Williams) they're facing a lefty. Is this a rookie manager tinkering too much or a stroke of genius? I know he's on a bad run and as you say, others are hitting better, but it's only been about a week. Surely Williams is getting ahead of himself? This can't be good for Harper's confidence.

Harper has looked a real pro ever since he came up. I dont think moving up or down the order will bother him as love as the team wins.

Billy Hamilton was electric today.

In case you missed it......Run Billy Run....the anatomy of a speed freak

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/lets-watch-billy-hamilton-make-a-run-happen/

In case you missed it......Run Billy Run....the anatomy of a speed freak

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/lets-watch-billy-hamilton-make-a-run-happen/

And that's why, in this sabermetric crazy world, that the games are played, and you can't rely completely on box scores to judge a player.........after all, anyone that doesn't watch the highlight would just see that Hamilton scored on a sac fly to the right fielder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement