Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Bats were not pretty last night alright. Pineda looked good again for the Yankees, thats a good comeback story as well.

It is! He looked great. Another one if these guys that makes people look foolish with his slider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    It is! He looked great. Another one if these guys that makes people look foolish with his slider.

Yeah he threw a couple of gems in the early innings last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

Talk about strange lines.

Danny Salazar last 3 2/3 innings but struck out 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

boccy23 wrote: »
    Talk about strange lines.

Danny Salazar last 3 2/3 innings but struck out 10.

Watched a bit of that this morning, I think the 10 strikeouts was misleading. His stuff was up and the White Sox were going after him hence the whiffs and the scoring. They got some really good looks even on a couple of those SO's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

Watched a bit of that this morning, I think the 10 strikeouts was misleading. His stuff was up and the White Sox were going after him hence the whiffs and the scoring. They got some really good looks even on a couple of those SO's.

Must have been as he didn't make it out of the 4th. He gave up 5 runs.

Just a strange line. If a guy strikes out 10 of the 11 outs he got, that's strange.

• Advertisement

boccy23 wrote: »
    Must have been as he didn't make it out of the 4th. He gave up 5 runs.

Just a strange line. If a guy strikes out 10 of the 11 outs he got, that's strange.

Definitely a strange line.

Jose Abreu has ridiculous power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Definitely a strange line.

Jose Abreu has ridiculous power.

Yeah looks a serious player that guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

How to throw 105mph.......guess it involves a Popeye-esque gym routine.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/4/10/5601600/aroldis-chapman-reds-muscles-damn-dude#comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No one (except the media) seems to bothered by the pine tar incident last night do they? I heard on the radio today that it's because every team does it and if they did make an issue of it, someone else would call them out on it too. Apparently Buchholz is a master of it which is probably why the Red Sox said nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

No one (except the media) seems to bothered by the pine tar incident last night do they? I heard on the radio today that it's because every team does it and if they did make an issue of it, someone else would call them out on it too. Apparently Buchholz is a master of it which is probably why the Red Sox said nothing.

Exactly. How can they complain about cheating when their guy is doing it too? Level playing field if anything.

• Advertisement

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Exactly. How can they complain about cheating when their guy is doing it too? Level playing field if anything.

I'd say if he was scuffing the ball then people would've raised hell, as they see that as an unfair advantage.... the main isue here was that it was sooooo obvious...

and that he lied through his teeth about it (obviously) after washing his hand thoroughly... considering the timeline... in that he washed his hand BEFORE anyone was notified (as is claimed) well... it seems all a bit.. wink wink ...

What doe pine tar do anyway? I heard them say it's just for grip (but isn't that what the rosin bag is for?). Does it make the ball swerve more or move more or what?

I was trying to find out about Super 2 Eligibility so doing a bit of googling and I came across of couple of things I found interesting. One is that on top of their salaries, MLB players get a per diem of $98 for road trips. And the team pay for hotels, meals etc. so that's some nice pocket money. The other is that they have to pay $70 a day union dues which is fairly high don't you think?

What doe pine tar do anyway? I heard them say it's just for grip (but isn't that what the rosin bag is for?). Does it make the ball swerve more or move more or what?

Well rosin is meant to keep your hands dry. Pine tar makes them sticky.

There's no evidence that tar helps a pitcher unfairly.

Well rosin is meant to keep your hands dry. Pine tar makes them sticky.

There's no evidence that tar helps a pitcher unfairly.

The Yankees broadcasters were saying last night that if the Umpires agree that it is used only to help the pitchers grip and not to throw spitballs then he will only be warned, not ejected. I don't know what the actual rule on it is.

I dont know why the media are so obsessed with this. If the Red Sox thought they yankees were cheating do you think he would have went five innings without them complaining? No way, no how.

Some great match ups tonight. looking forward to the Redsox Yankees game

CC impressive in the first inning.

On a side note I like John Farrell. Comes across very well in interviews

Ortiz walks ... Making this the 24th CONSECUTIVE game he's reached base against the Yankees - going back to 2012...

Another one of those weird baseball stats.

On a side note I like John Farrell. Comes across very well in interviews

Yeah, he's one of the good ones. Seems very down to earth and the players love him.

Yeah, he's one of the good ones. Seems very down to earth and the players love him.

Needed someone like him after the debacle that went before him. Does seem very down to earth. Great hit by Soriano.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Still very impressive after 5. Must be bad weather on the way as the commentators are saying its now an official game.

EDIT: Think I hexed the guy, 2nd pitch of the 6th he throws a meatball over the middle of the plate which was in the bleachers a few seconds later. Followed by an infield single to Big Papi of all people...

Sizemore homer and it's 4-1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Sizemore homer and it's 4-1!
    Think that fluke single to Big Papi rattled him. It was a poor pitch and Sizemore made the most of it ;)

Just back at my hotel, great win tonight. Yankee Stadium is very impressive, didn't expect it to be so big.

Wore my Boston 2013 World Series Champions shirt which wasn't exactly popular, but mostly banter and good atmosphere. Was actually really buzzing until Grady's homer, naturally got subdued after that.

Haven't got tickets yet but I figure my next game will be Marlins at Phillies tomorrow night. Clash of the Titans!

Some interesting games last night, most notably Jose Fernandez getting knocked about by the Phillies. Probably just a one off bad day at the office but we'll see. I had him for the NL Cy Young so hopefully I didn't jinx him!

The Nats continue to struggle against the Braves, I wonder are they in their heads or something. I don't know what the win/loss record is over the past year or so but I think the Braves are well on top there.

My Mets lost on a 'walk off hit by pitch' which is a strange way to lose but to be fair, the bullpen hadn't given up a run in 15 innings over the past week so they're not the reason they aren't winning.

I presume Milan has come down off the ledge now that the Red Sox have evened up their series with the Yankees but no word from Ollie. I know he was pessimistic over the Reds schedule in April and they are doing as he expected but they'll have plenty of time to get it together once their players make their way back. It helps that no one else in they division is off to a flyer.

Anyway, today's another day with some interesting match ups again.

Anyone use the MILB First Pitch App? I think it's great. I had it last year but it was fairly basic then but they've updated it quite a bit and it's a great way of quickly checking up on how prospects in your team's organisation are doing. it's now basically a direct copy of the MLB At-Bat App so you can quickly check box scores of all the minor league teams in the organisation and see how players are doing.

There's so much talk of prospects in the off season and how far they are away from the majors etc, I made a decision this season that I was gonna keep more in touch with the minor leagues and how players (as opposed to teams) are doing and this app is great for doing that.

When you follow a team that isn't going to contend it's comforting that there's talk by the 'experts' that they have a lot of players in the system that have potential to do well and that the future for the team looks promising.

Let's go Red Sox [clap clap - clap clap clap]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Back to back home runs for the Yankees.

Back to back home runs for the Yankees.

Ugh. It's getting worse.

• Advertisement

As bad as the Yankees are supposed to be, they have been very impressive so far in this series. One mistake from CC last night cost us. Bullpen is a huge problem though, hope Kuroda can get a few quick outs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Anna's foot was off the bag and the glove(and therefore the ball) was touching him as it lifted and was called safe. Even the Yankees tv lads were saying it was clear he was out. What's the point of having replay when you don't overturn the call ?

Alfredo Simon must be gutted. Allowing only 1 run over 8 innings and still get the loss. I'll be honest I'd never heard go him until he did a similar job on the Mets last week but for a so called spot starter, he seems to pretty good.

Is the mets game starting at half two ? I woke up at about five and the game was still on from last night. Losing the way they did on a walk off must be very annoying to the team and to us fans.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Anna's foot was off the bag and the glove(and therefore the ball) was touching him as it lifted and was called safe. Even the Yankees tv lads were saying it was clear he was out. What's the point of having replay when you don't overturn the call ?

In the end the MLB admitted they were wrong.

I guess it's better to sort this now.

But yeah, ugh.

Is the mets game starting at half two ? I woke up at about five and the game was still on from last night. Losing the way they did on a walk off must be very annoying to the team and to us fans.

Yeah, losing on a walk off hit by pitch is annoying, especially considering they intentionally walked a guy to load the bases. Last night was nearly a worse loss though with Valverde's tendency to let people get on base finally catching up with him. So far this season nearly every time he comes on he's given up hits and let people get on base but he's always managed to avoid disaster and get himself out of his mess but last night it caught up with him. After getting the first two of the 9th, he then gives up 2 hits and then a 3 run homer to tie the game.

Had they not come back and won it in the 13th, that would have been a much more painful loss than Friday night's.

• Advertisement

Like buses for Justin Verlander. He goes 6 years and 26 at-bats waiting for his first career hit, then he gets two in a row.

Jimmy Rollins hit a walk off HR last night here in Philly. Always been one of my favourite SS's

Strange goings on in Cincinnati. The Reds get two men thrown out at the plate on the same play. Never saw that before.

They're still way ahead so it shouldn't affect the result but it was funny to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Blue Jays batter drove the ball low and hard, it bounced over the 3rd base and went outside towards the stand

The ball girl thought it was a foul ball and picked it up

The officals declared a ground rule double

Never saw that before :)

Strange stuff all around today.

Back to back to back HRs for the Angels.

EDIT - followed by a double that was about a foot away from being a HR too!

• Advertisement

The angels just hit their third straight HR :(

Colon is being hit all over the place.

Jesus the angels having scored three runs in the fourth and are leading 7-1.

Jesus the angels having scored three runs in the fourth and are leading 7-1.

Are you still watching? 5 HRs today for the Angels. And throw in a couple of bases loaded walks and runs scored on wild pitches and you have a bit of a bad day at the office for the Mets.

It's not the result that the bad part though. After going 11 and 13 innings the past 2 nights, they needed a long start from Colon to save the bullpen but that didn't happen so they'll be shot now for Arizona.

Probably have to make a roster move and get a fresh arm from las vegas.

Jeter and Pedroia sitting tonight with minor injuries.

Sizemore back batting lead off.

Are you still watching? 5 HRs today for the Angels. And throw in a couple of bases loaded walks and runs scored on wild pitches and you have a bit of a bad day at the office for the Mets.

It's not the result that the bad part though. After going 11 and 13 innings the past 2 nights, they needed a long start from Colon to save the bullpen but that didn't happen so they'll be shot now for Arizona.

Probably have to make a roster move and get a fresh arm from las vegas.

Turned it off after that last post.

Turned it off after that last post.

You're lucky.

To be fair, I'd the sound down and was watching the Masters but could still see what was going on. Wright and Murph were both ejected too.

You're lucky.

To be fair, I'd the sound down and was watching the Masters but could still see what was going on. Wright and Murph were both ejected too.

Yeah just read that about murph and wright. I was watching the golf aswell but had the alerts on so knew the score.

Yankees take 3 of 4. Great feeling, that. Yesterday was a beautiful sports day with Liverpool and the Yankees.

Man those Braves just have the Nats number right now. We cant seem to get a win or any luck against them! :-p

If it was ever wondered are teams built to compete against Division rivals just have a look at what the Braves have done.

Yankees hand the Red Sox a loss in their first series of the year. Red Sox really struggling to find their bats at the moment.

Brewers , what a turn around! Are they for real? Certainly looks like it at the moment, but such a tough division. Still any team thats 10-2 has to be respected. Ryan Braun certainly looks back to his steroid fueled MVP best and their starting pitching has been lights out.

Interesting season so far. Love what the A's are doing over there again so competitive with a tiny wage bill. Immense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement