Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest good plants for bees in my garden

• 22-03-2014 10:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭

Looking for a suggestion for goo shrubs or plants for bees

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Buddliia are wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Its best to have plants year round for bees not just a flush in summer but i will list my most popular anyway with bees in my garden. Im a perennial fan so i will list those.

Agastache, Allium, Cynara cardunculus, Digitalis, Echinops, Knautia, Eryngium, Lavandula, Nepeta,Salvia, Sedum and Verbena theres probably a few more i just can't think of them. They love purple or blue flowers i think its something to do with the way they see the color spectrum. The king of all though is Angelia Gigas it's like a crack den when it blooms, its monocarpic so dies after flowering but if its happy it should self seed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lol, I think that should be Angelica gigas! Angelia gets you someone in Vegas. Interesting plant though, I would like to try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

They go crazy for Raspberry bushes too if you want the bonus of some fruit in summer and autumn.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Lavender and goldenrod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

looksee wrote: »
    Lol, I think that should be Angelica gigas! Angelia gets you someone in Vegas. Interesting plant though, I would like to try it.

Yes Angelica, typo. Give it a go you won't be disappointed. I got 7-8 flowers out of mine wasn't unusual to see 8 bees all on one head at once. The seedhead lasts until early winter too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

You can actually buy a pack of annual seeds aimed at kids that attract bees and butterflies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Catmint, (Nepeta) they go mad for the flowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/885.shtm
    Lambs ear . bumblers absolutely swarm over this one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Black-Eyed Susan (Rudbeckia)

Globe Thistle (Echinops)

Foxglove (Digitalis)

Hollyhock (Alcea)

Oriental Poppy (Papaver)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭seamusmacc

New Zealand flax and Lavender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sorry to hijack the thread, but wanted to ask: Would any of these plants be good in a planter? I've got an old Belfast sink in the garden I'd like to use if possible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Lacecap Hydrangea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Found a 3 different coloured buddelia on an irish gardening website , going to try one to see how they work out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

What about this ordered one thanks for the suggestions

Advertisement