Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM stole my card, but not the real problem...

Options
  • 22-03-2014 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was out in the city centre last night when an AIB atm gobbled my visa debit card, so I'd no cash and couldn't get a taxi home. I was prompted with a number to call AIB on the screen which I did and was told to call BOI and cancel the card, and find alternative arrangements to get home or go to a local Garda station (surely the Gardai have better things to be doing at 4am)... when I called BOI I cancelled the card and was told I will be charged €8 for the replacement... and I walked home... the money isn't really an issue, nor was the walk, but if I had been an elderly lady or a teenager etc etc or if something had of happened to me... anyway, although I was very annoyed the staff on the phone were pleasant and professional and they did all they could do, which was nothing really. I realise they couldn't have done much, but I'm just annoyed that on top of it I'm also out of pocket for this. Surely someone has to answer for it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi monkeyslayer,

Thank you for contacting us on Boards.

As you say, this is all that could have been done by an agent when a Visa Debit card is kept by an ATM. Cards are kept and destroyed by the ATM and this would be the case at any time of day.

If you feel you have been charged incorrectly for this replacement card, please contact your branch. You can find contact details here.

Thanks,

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Why don't BOI offer an emergency cash service in these situations like Ulster Bank/PTSB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi maximoose,

As you correctly mentioned, this is not a service we currently provide. We will pass on your suggestion to the appropriate department.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I don't think contesting the price of my card re issue would be a productive use of my time for some reason... just seems to me that the attitude adopted by your bank in this case was 'an atm has gobbled your card, now you've got no money to get home, tough luck enjoy the walk and we're also going to charge you for the replacement... '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi monkeyslayer,

We are sorry to hear you feel this way and would like to assure you that this is not the case when a customer has been unfortunate enough to have their bank card retained by an ATM or lost/stolen. We'd also like to assure you that when a customer contacts their branch to have any fee or charge reviewed, this is investigated in full with all circumstances taken into consideration.

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Would the same charge apply if the customer had been mugged or had a handbag stolen?  Seems quite unfair IMO, adding insult to injury or loss when it is not the customers fault....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

Hi Stroke Politics,

Thank you for your query on boards.

This is a standard fee, however as mentioned above, if a customer wishes to have a fee reviewed for whatever reason this will be need to be investigated in our branch. This is dealt with on a case by case basis with all circumstances taken into consideration.

Thanks,
    Paula

Advertisement