Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

job seekers allowance, partners income etc

Options
  • 22-03-2014 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

OK this is a bit of a self pitying monologue but am also eager for constructive advice.

Background:
    I have a decent paying job. My partner is out of work a number of years. We have 1 young child. We have a modest 2 bed semi bought in the boom, in negative equity (worth 35-40% of purchase price) and has various issues (freezing, mouldy, structural to name a few). My partner has a very large personal debt from the sale of house that had negative equity even worse than mine.

Our current situation:

My partner is not eligible for any state assistance due to my income being above the 302 Eur mark. So we are just making ends meet. Yellowpack lifestyle all the way. Takeaway once a month is the treat. Summer is being welcomed with open arms as its too expensive to keep house warm, even after getting insulation, windows, boiler, etc done. We are not living in poverty by any means but spend has to be tightly controlled.

Our hopes:
    Have a second kid - can't do this while in current house due to space and health & safety. I am looking to rent out the current house which will cover the mortgage. Its an OK house but just not for more than 2 people or children. If that was rented, it may be possible to get a "luxurious" 3 bed house somewhere else.

The problem:
    My partner doesn't qualify for JSA because of what I earn. In order to get work in her profession of teaching, it now transpires that she needs to do a course which costs about 10k and takes a year (Irish so that her degree is recognised and can teach in national school). We don't have the money for the course and certainly not for childcare for the duration. My partner is looking to do any work at this stage but the cost of childcare happens to be more than the minimum wage stuff thats available.

Emotions:
    I'm feeling a little hard done by from the state. I've worked hard all my life (20 years work and counting) and the house is my only debt. I pay a hefty tax bill every year and have never been unemployed. I've never lived beyond my means. My partner is not classified as unemployed by the state and not entitled to any assistance either financial or even in getting a job (intreo etc). Basically the state is saying shag off you're not my problem.

I know that there are other people worse off, but all we want is to have some basic comfort and possibly have another child. I don't want to resent others that get all sorts of stuff such as cheap rent on a nice home, childcare assistance and everything else, but I just feel this is an injustice.

The Question:
    Is there any state assistance that we could avail of? Or failing that, is there any way for somebody that is willing to work, to make extra income.

OK sob story over. Any constructive advice appreciated. Thanks for reading this far :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

302 is not the limit for JSA it's more like 540 and even at that theres FIS. But trying to buy another house or another child seems madness if money is an issue. Would you partner not have free fee or are they non-EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Is your partner signing for credits? Have they looked at free graduate conversion courses such as ictskills.ie. Prospects in teaching are awful at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dauhee

we were told its 302 weekly limit by welfare staff. Thats interesting. Also thanks for mentioning FIS there may be possibilities with that. No she's not Non-EU

Well moving might sound like madness to you but I think madness would be to stay in our current condition. A neighbour across the road is on kid #3, everything sponsored by the state. Good luck to her but we're not looking for a handout, just some short-term assistance.

yah she's signing for credit alright. ictskills.ie not currently accepting applications for most locations. Paying for childcare an issue also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

342euro would be the SW you would get if neither of you worked.
    You work so they means tested you for financial assistance.
    They looked at your wages, they allowed you €20 per day for each day you worked up to a max of 3 days. So if you work 5 days they allowed you €60 per week.
    So, deduct €60 from your wages, then find 60% of that amount.
    SW consider this to be your "means".
    Now subtract that amount from the €342.
    That is the amount of SW your partner is entitled to.
    If they are saying that she's not entitled to any then that means your income exceeds your "means".
    If your income is less than €506 per week you maybe entitled to FIS.
    If you are struggling you really need to contact MABS. They are brilliant and will set up a budget for you.
    Also, your neighbour is probably on the dole/OPFP €188 for claimant €124 for other adult if there is one and €29.80 for each child. If she's getting rent supplement then she/ they have to contribute between €30 and €40 towards their rent, but that is all their getting, nothing else. Her childcare bills are not paid for her.

• Advertisement

much appreciated for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately it appears I'm just over the means test using that calculation.

went to MABS and they advised that payment of my partners debt remaining from house sale is priority and that even though it was all in her name, I need to put any spare wage into paying that off. Needless to say I disagreed. They said I was legally obligated which is totally incorrect. They had no other observations on how to improve the situation.

MABS are just an advisory agency, you have no obligation to follow their advice. You have debts to pay, and need to increase the family income.

Really, your partner needs to work if your income is not enough to support the family. It is that simple. You may be entitled to a subvented childcare place.

I never suggested that MABS advice was obligatory. Is the sub vented childcare your suggesting the free pre-schol year? If so, its not childcare as such and only open in term-time.

Thanks MouseTail yes childcare assistance would make the difference will see if there is any scope for getting that.

mrsbyrne yes totally agree no indication MABS obligatory. I've learned a bit from your facts and terminology so much appreciated.

It will be approx 2 years before the pre-school year.

• Advertisement

dauhee wrote: »
    mrsbyrne yes totally agree no indication MABS obligatory. I've learned a bit from your facts and terminology so much appreciated.

It will be approx 2 years before the pre-school year.

There is no assistance for childcare. Best of luck getting sorted out.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    I never suggested that MABS advice was obligatory. Is the sub vented childcare your suggesting the free pre-schol year? If so, its not childcare as such and only open in term-time.

No, the subvention is different to the ECCE.

MouseTail wrote: »
    No, the subvention is different to the ECCE.

Can you give me a link to this subvention, I'm interested in it thanks mousetail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Strange one mousetail...

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

AFAIK subvention is only applicable in community crèche's. There are certain conditions to be met but if you are entitled to 'band a' your childcare rate us reduced dramatically.

http://www.dcya.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/childcare/ccs_docs_sept_2013/Guide_to_admin_procedures_2013.htm

denis160 wrote: »
    AFAIK subvention is only applicable in community crèche's. There are certain conditions to be met but if you are entitled to 'band a' your childcare rate us reduced dramatically.

http://www.dcya.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/childcare/ccs_docs_sept_2013/Guide_to_admin_procedures_2013.htm

This is it:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/pre_school_education_and_childcare/community_childcare_subvention_programme.html
    I can't see the OP fitting in any of these groups. Possibly if he got FIS but that seems unlikely.

Thank you folks, lots more stuff wasn't aware of and more possibilities.

I agree with a previous poster.
    Somehow OPs partner needs to get an income. Lots of stay at home mothers do some child minding. Its never hard to find someone whose looking for a child minder and a qualified Montessori teacher certainly would be in demand. Find out the going rate in your area and put the word out.

This is it:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/pre_school_education_and_childcare/community_childcare_subvention_programme.html
    I can't see the OP fitting in any of these groups. Possibly if he got FIS but that seems unlikely.

i think it is very likely OP would be eligible for a GP card, therefore Band B.

MouseTail wrote: »
    i think it is very likely OP would be eligible for a GP card, therefore Band B.

Mmm. Possibly . The issue I have with this scheme is that its not childcare that's any kind of use to someone with even a regular part time position never mind full time.
    Max 5 hours per day and term time only. The OP will need serious back up to make it work
    I think its really geared towards parents who have returned to full time education themselves or some other vocational training.
    Sooner or later this country will have to seriously address our issues surrounding childcare.

• Advertisement

The market seems to be saturated down here with people offering childcare but are hopeful something will pop up eventually. Have been advertising + word of mouth so time will tell.

The plan of action is becoming clear now. Try for GP card, then onto CCS. Its not ideal but at least will mean my partner can work and it not end up costing more.

I've seen some people mention about x and o, referring to working up to 3 days a week and then being eligible for assistance. I think that would get my partner back on JSB and open up more options. Might be another avenue to explore.

Mmm. Possibly . The issue I have with this scheme is that its not childcare that's any kind of use to someone with even a regular part time position never mind full time.
    Max 5 hours per day and term time only. The OP will need serious back up to make it work
    I think its really geared towards parents who have returned to full time education themselves or some other vocational training.
    Sooner or later this country will have to seriously address our issues surrounding childcare.

Read up on the scheme, its not max 5 hours a day, and its not term time only. wrt education, you are mixing it up with CETS, which again is an entirely different scheme.

Advertisement