Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Security System - Remote Access using phone

Options
  • 22-03-2014 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I have a home security system

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C8RZZ2G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I have it setup for remote access

I can access the system, remotely, using a PC using a program called "Central Monitoring Software". No problems there.

Now I want to setup my phone to see the camera its recommending to using "Apollo Client" with this equipment. I use the same network information as before but I'm getting server errors

What am I missing? All ideas are appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Dempsey wrote: »
    I have a home security system

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C8RZZ2G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I have it setup for remote access

I can access the system, remotely, using a PC using a program called "Central Monitoring Software". No problems there.

Now I want to setup my phone to see the camera its recommending to using "Apollo Client" with this equipment. I use the same network information as before but I'm getting server errors

What am I missing? All ideas are appreciated
    Are you on your home WiFi trying to use Apollo Client to access the cameras or your 3G connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

advertsfox wrote: »
    Are you on your home WiFi trying to use Apollo Client to access the cameras or your 3G connection?

Im accessing the network remotely, i.e. different network to access the network with the security system

Im accessing the network remotely, i.e. different network to access the network with the security system
    OK have you setup port forwarding to your camera DVR? Also, what ISP are you with? Have you setup DynDNS or do you have a static IP address? What is the port you are using to access the DVR?

OK have you setup port forwarding to your camera DVR? Also, what ISP are you with? Have you setup DynDNS or do you have a static IP address? What is the port you are using to access the DVR?

http://www.premierbroadband.net/

The IP address is static & I have port forwarding setup on 34567

http://www.premierbroadband.net/

The IP address is static & I have port forwarding setup on 34567
    Is the internal IP address set to the DVR static or assigned by MAC address? Is there a firewall on the router? Can you check if anonymous packets are blocked?

• Advertisement

Is the internal IP address set to the DVR static or assigned by MAC address? Is there a firewall on the router? Can you check if anonymous packets are blocked?

Internal IP address. No firewall on the router. How do I check if anonymous packets are blocked?

I'm able to access the DVR system remotely using a laptop and it works fine so I dont see it being a firewall issue when trying to use a phone

Internal IP address. No firewall on the router. How do I check if anonymous packets are blocked?

I'm able to access the DVR system remotely using a laptop and it works fine so I dont see it being a firewall issue when trying to use a phone
    What's the router make / model? No the phone isn't an issue at all, its just making sure your config will allow connections from other networks. Internally you don't have to worry about your firewall / port forwarding but externally you do.

What's the router make / model? No the phone isn't an issue at all, its just making sure your config will allow connections from other networks. Internally you don't have to worry about your firewall / port forwarding but externally you do.

It does allow connections from other networks, I can access the network remotely from any laptop.

I'm not near the router at the moment but I dont have access to the settings. The ISP wont allow it and any settings that need to be changed have to be done by their customer support, e.g. port forwarding.

It does allow connections from other networks, I can access the network remotely from any laptop.

I'm not near the router at the moment but I dont have access to the settings. The ISP wont allow it and any settings that need to be changed have to be done by their customer support, e.g. port forwarding.
    Ah I see, I took it that it wasn't working only via 3G or another network, didn't realise your laptop was working externally. Is Apollo the only app you have used?

Ah I see, I took it that it wasn't working only via 3G or another network, didn't realise your laptop was working externally. Is Apollo the only app you have used?

Apollo is the one recommended by the DVR maker & I paid money for the app too. I tried a few other free DVR clients for phones but they all throw up similar errors.

• Advertisement

Apollo is the one recommended by the DVR maker & I paid money for the app too. I tried a few other free DVR clients for phones but they all throw up similar errors.
    What kind of errors do you get?

What kind of errors do you get?

Before today I was getting connection to server failed but at the moment I'm getting "No response" yet the same network details gets me into the DVR system and looking at live feeds using a PC. :confused::mad::(

Before today I was getting connection to server failed but at the moment I'm getting "No response" yet the same network details gets me into the DVR system and looking at live feeds using a PC. :confused::mad::(
    OK so it must be the app itself or the config. Are you using the public IP address in the app or a DynDNS / assigned domain address? Do you have it typed in as http://xx.xx.xx.xx or just xx.xx.xx.xx? Is HTTPS and option and is it enabled or disabled?

I've the config setup the exact same as I would with a PC using CMS

Using the static ip address, written as xx.xx.xx.xx

Not sure if HTTPS is enabled or not, I dont remember such an option on the DVR options and its certainly not an options on the apollo client

Qvis Viewer worked!!

Thanks for your help! Gonna haunt the security company for a refund for that useless Apollo client since that was the one they recommended!

Another problem!!

Using same app on iOS, i.e. same name & developer, doesnt work! Any ideas why this would be the case?

Anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Not familiar with the app but if the app allows you to push a port through (that you port-forwarded on your router) with the IP address then it might be worth it. Something like: x.x.x.x:34567

Just to rule out other issues, can you access the live feed through a browser on your mobile device?

Not familiar with the app but if the app allows you to push a port through (that you port-forwarded on your router) with the IP address then it might be worth it. Something like: x.x.x.x:34567

Just to rule out other issues, can you access the live feed through a browser on your mobile device?

As I said already, I can access the live feed using the the android version of the application & access it through a computer

• Advertisement
Advertisement