Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having to pay for a service that was not done correctly?

Options
  • 22-03-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi,

To cut a long story short.. My friend and I went to get my nails done with Shellac polish which is meant to last 3 weeks. The following day two of my nails started to chip badly and a few days after that my friends nails did the same thing.

We went back in together and were told by the two girls who did our nails they were unsure as to why this could have happened but they would do them again for us there and then just to fix the fingers we had chipped.

The girl who did mine was a bit 'slow' and instead of just removing my two chipped nails removed all the other fingers too.! I asked could I change the colour she said No I had to go with what was on originally. I noticed also that the polish they used was not the Real shellac polish which is CND but instead some one in a black bottle that I have never heard of and can't find online!

When I was finished the girls there said thank you blah blah and I went to walk out the door but the lady on reception told me rather rudely that I HAD to pay for the service even though it was chipped polish . She said and I quote.. "If every girl came in here with chipped nails and we did them for free we would be out of business." !! She also said she had to pay the employees as I used up their time etc etc! I could not believe it. She was going to charge me full price but then discounted it. When I asked her why it chipped so fast considering it was meant to last 3 weeks she said well wear and tear can do that and when I told her they chipped the day after I got them done she didn't have much to say!

Once my friend heard I had to pay she just stood up and said she didn't want them done if that was the case. We asked them about them not using the legit polish but they could not comment.

I feel like an idiot for paying even though it really was not much money but it is more the way I was treated. Needles to say my polish has been chipping since!

Is there anything I could do about this? I feel like I can not let them get away with that type of 'customer service.' ..or lack of!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Once you have paid, thats really it.

You could try writing to the store and hoping the manager see what poor service you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Should of just walked out to be honest
    last thing the owner would want would be you too publicly announce that their not using proper nail polish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

You shouldn't have paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ive actually had that happen with the real Shellac.....dont think its all its cracked up to be....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

get on to citizens information, they're spot on when it comes to your consumer rights, will tell you your options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I think it's supposed to last 2 weeks. I just finished building a website for a beauty salon and that's the info I was given. Sound like you didn't get shellac at all. That stuff costs over €20 per bottle to the trade.

Yes, i research businesses i work with. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Shellac has become a commonly used name these days. There's no guarantee you'll get CND unless you ask.

In general though, all of these brands tend to last about 2 weeks. The only reasons why it would come off early would be (a) excessive wear & tear on your part or (b) poor application and curing from the technician. Sometimes too, I've heard of people having "oily" nails which makes them unsuitable for gel polishes.

Assuming that you didn't cause the chipping, I would have expected them to repair the damaged nails for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Thanks for the replies. I have contacted the consumer agency and they can tell me my rights! I have since found out that the shellac they used is from Poland and only costs 6 euro a bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

How does the consumer agency propose the situation is rectified?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

anewme wrote: »
    Ive actually had that happen with the real Shellac.....dont think its all its cracked up to be....

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Proper storage of any UV curing polish is also essential. If the product is exposed to even small amounts of UV light over an extended period of time, the product could be partially cured before it is even applied. Sometimes, there might be a bulb or two expired in the UV curer and a nail or two does not get properly cured. Thank god i'm a man and don't have to worry about this sort of stuff. :D

If the salon are advertising shellac nails and using cheap, generic brands, then i believe you can report them to cnd. That's according to the owner of the salon i did work for. There is also a minimum price to be charged according to her, which is why you generally don't see genuine shellac deals on the likes of groupon.

Advertisement