Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Kilkenny by Public Transport

Options
  • 22-03-2014 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

What route is the shortest time wise to do this trip. So far i reckon best way would be to get bus from Cork which arrives in Waterford at12.55 and there is a train there for Kilkenny at 13.05. I have posted on the Waterford forum whether it is normally possible to make this train in view of distance and possible late arrival of the bus. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'd say if you get yourself out to urlingford and catch a bus it would be way way quicker. The Bus Eireann bus used stop at Josephine's but I have a feeling it goes direct now.
    Maybe ask in the Commuting and transport forum for a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

train from cork to portlaoise. bus to kilkenny

maccored wrote: »
    train from cork to portlaoise. bus to kilkenny

No bus between Portlaoise and Kilkenny. Unless you want to go anywhere along the Waterford-Dublin corridor public transport to/from Kilkenny is woeful.
    A more viable option would be train to Kildare and connect with a Cork train. Go 40-50 miles in the wrong direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Use google maps. You can navigate using public transport. It incorporates all public transport including the kilkenny town bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Use Bus Eireann - http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1378994779-007.pdf

They have a Cork-Kilkenny route, that goes via Clonmel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

https://getthere.ie/portlaoise-kilkenny/

- as mentioned Bus Eireann
    road_high wrote: »
    No bus between Portlaoise and Kilkenny. Unless you want to go anywhere along the Waterford-Dublin corridor public transport to/from Kilkenny is woeful.
    A more viable option would be train to Kildare and connect with a Cork train. Go 40-50 miles in the wrong direction!

maccored wrote: »
    https://getthere.ie/portlaoise-kilkenny/

- as mentioned Bus Eireann

Goes via Carlow though and takes 1 hr 20 mins, which is even ambitious i'd think. Adds nearly double to the distance travelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

dewdrop wrote: »
    What route is the shortest time wise to do this trip. So far i reckon best way would be to get bus from Cork which arrives in Waterford at12.55 and there is a train there for Kilkenny at 13.05. I have posted on the Waterford forum whether it is normally possible to make this train in view of distance and possible late arrival of the bus. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Just on this route (no idea about others) but you are cutting it very, very fine. Don't the train doors close a few minutes before departure? And it's probably around a 3-4 minute jog across the bridge from bus station to train station too even if you're lucky with traffic lights and the bus gets you there promptly. Probably not impossible but I wouldn't be relying on it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 green jay

Have used Kilkenny - Cork bus, slow boat to China, stops in every village on route and sometimes there is a stop-over of 1/2 hour or more in Clonmel. Having said that it is the most direct route, no changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

This is the No 7 Bus Eireann route from KK to Cork. Presumably it is the same on return. It takes approx 3 hours. I did it once ............. never again.

Kilkenny (Railway Station)
    Kilkenny (Ormonde Road)
    Callan( Glennon’s)
    Grangemockler (Vaughan’s)
    Carrick on Suir (Greenside)
    Kilsheelan (Gibb’s)
    Clonmel (Rail Station).
    Ardfinnan
    Cahir (Castle St)
    Clogheen
    Ballyporeen
    Mitchelstown
    Fermoy
    Cork (Parnell Place) arr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

I went to UCC so I had the experience of travelling between Cork and Kilkenny on a weekly basis for 4 years. The bus is the best bet, it takes forever and stops at all the villages but you dont have to change and worry about making a connection. Depending on when you are travelling there are direct buses. Its a few years ago now but I used to get the 6.30 bus on a Sunday evening and that stopped in Clonmel but then went direct to cork. Similarly on a Friday there was a bus that went direct from Cork to Clonmel and then onto Kilkenny. Might be best contacting Bus Eireann and asking them to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Thanks for all the replies. I was aware of the cork kilkenny bus etc which gogave es all over the place. Many people in Cork i suspect would like to make a day trip to kilkenny in a reasonable quick time. If the bus and train times mentioned in my original post gave more time say half hour to allow travel this way i think it would be helpful. Have the tourist/business people in Kilkenny lobbied for such a service from Cork. I know of many retired groups who go on many trips during the year by public transport but have ruled out Kilkenny for the obvious reasons of long travel times.

I've driven outskirts to outskirts in an hour and a half before. It's mad the bus can take 3 hours lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

road_high wrote: »
    I've driven outskirts to outskirts in an hour and a half before. It's mad the bus can take 3 hours lol.

It takes such a roundabout route that at one stage I thought I'd got on the wrong bus. I hadn't a clue where I was :P

Advertisement