Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your worst moment in sports

• 22-03-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

What is your worse moment ever in sport. I am talking about moments you look back on and almost start to tear up. It can be from playing or just from watching. Luckily for me I only have 2;

1. My top worse moment ever in sport is THAT Ireland vs New Zealand game last November. The fact that it was us never beating the All Blacks and the fact that it was the last chance for Brian O Driscoll an perhaps others. When they went over the line for that try in the last minute my heart broke. I still haven't come to terms with it and I don't think I ever will. I can't even watch the replay of it. Tried to yesterday and turned it off when we gave away that penalty.

2. Number 2 for me is more of a personal one. It was the All Ireland Hurling final 2010. Kilkenny were after annihilating Cork a few week previously and I was on top of the world. I didn't have a doubt in my mind that The Cats would become the first team to win 5 in a row. That day I sat behind the goal in the Davin stand. From the start of the game Tipp dominated. Then Kilkenny clawed there way back in at half time only down by a point. I thought to myself the comeback is on. It wasn't to be. Kilkenny were dominated so much there wasn't even much to cheer about. I remember walking back up the steps as I could barley hear Eoin Kellys speech due to the Tipp fans singing.n It was the longest walk of my life. I still haven't gotten over that match. I can't ever watch it again.

Do you have any similar let downs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭bmc58

My worst moment in sport was when I was 17 many years ago.
    I was playing minor doubles in the All Ireland Final handball championships in Enniscorthy and we were beaten 21 -20 in the third and final game.We had won the Tipp and Munster championship.We were beaten by two lads from Offally.
    I can still see to this day my partner missing the last ball.
    Our game was called the best of the weekend on the Independent.
    The next year I had a bad accident and was never able to play handball again.
    So near and yet so far.

My best was when Man Utd scored those two late goals to win the Champions League against Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Great thread. So many to choose from. The Ireland loss to NZ in rugby recently is a fine choice. I hated the loss Ken Doherty suffered in the 2003 world final. Gutted for him. After such a heroic fight back he had the chance to lift the trophy. Just couldn't get over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

walshb wrote: »
    Great thread. So many to choose from. The Ireland loss to NZ in rugby recently is a fine choice. I hated the loss Ken Doherty suffered in the 2003 world final. Gutted for him. After such a heroic fight back he had the chance to lift the trophy. Just couldn't get over the line.

That was an epic final, he also had a great comeback in the semi against Paul Hunter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Henry handball, I'm still not over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Ireland v New Zealand 2013
    Ireland v France 2007 (first Croke Park match). That really annoyed me. Should of been a Grand Slam that year.
    Ireland v France 2009 Henry handball. Was in the Stade and saw it 100 yards further back than ref.
    Meath v Galway 2001 We just had to turn up that day, or so we thought.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

11.16 on 2nd March this year...

...flew over the handlebars at getting on for 50kph in a bike race in Newry flying (hands then) headfirts into the tarmac. Ended up with a broken wrist, with the elbow on the other side also broken, 4 fractured teeth, a broken jaw, a couple of fractures to the sinuses, 2 fractures just to the front of the temple, a fracture to the eye socket and a couple of minor fractures in the spine. Can't remember anything about it due to the massive concussion I suffered as well as the fact it took them around 30 mins to bring me round.
    bmc58 wrote: »
    My best was when Man Utd scored those two late goals to win the Champions League against Bayern.
    I enjoyed that one from the back row in the corner behind the goal in which those 2 goals went in - I don't expect the moment Solskjaer scored will ever come near to being matched in my personal memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Liverpool vs. Crystal Palace last season. I actually just had to leave the room when the whistle went, just couldn't stick it... baaaaaaad day.
      Thierry handball, for obvious reasons.
      2009 All-Ireland Football Final.. Stupidly convinced myself that Cork were going to beat Kerry in Croke Park.
      2012 All-Ireland Football Semi-Final, more Cork football tears vs. Donegal. That team from 2007-2013 had so much potential and still only managed to scrape an All-Ireland victory against Down.
      Bit of a strange one, but at the time of the Suarez handball vs. Ghana in the 2010 World Cup I was absolutely raging. Seeing him celebrating afterwards and everything was just infuriating.
      Another GAA one, can't remember the year though. I think it was a semi-final between Cork and Kilkenny maybe in 2009, John Spillane (I think it was him...) played music at half-time and there were only about 30000 people at it.. Cork got absolutely hammered anyway, I wouldn't mind except that it was Kilkenny of all teams.

I'm sure I've forgotten some obvious ones... Some of them may seem strange choices but I get way more affected by games when I'm at them as opposed to watching on telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Agueroooooooooooooo.

My brother burst into tears and his mate, who was watching it with us ran out of the house, nearly breaking the door, drove home and curled up in his bed in the foetal position for about an hour.

Still one of the weirdest feelings I've ever had. It makes no logical sense but sport is a phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

worst has to be micky f#####g thomas goal at anfield,best istanbul 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Still haunts me '06 our club would be the second smallest in my county we had won nothing and I mean nothing at any level for over 40 years. We reach the minor hurling final even the local paper had a write up and I was picked as our teams star player no mean feet for a goalkeeper..

Had a solid game stopped everything and even produced the best save I ever made seconds ticking away we are up 2-8 to 12 points a ball comes rolling into me no one around me Christ I still can see it rolling... Bend down to let it roll up the hurl .. perfect now just to throw it into the hand and puck it away... Throw the ball over my shoulder into the net ... Final score 2-8 to 1-12 tp this day no one remembers anything about that game but the goal

Can hear them still whispering in the pub after itthe A-Holes .... But itsit's grand totally over it now ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Still haunts me '06 our club would be the second smallest in my county we had won nothing and I mean nothing at any level for over 40 years. We reach the minor hurling final even the local paper had a write up and I was picked as our teams star player no mean feet for a goalkeeper..

Had a solid game stopped everything and even produced the best save I ever made seconds ticking away we are up 2-8 to 12 points a ball comes rolling into me no one around me Christ I still can see it rolling... Bend down to let it roll up the hurl .. perfect now just to throw it into the hand and puck it away... Throw the ball over my shoulder into the net ... Final score 2-8 to 1-12 tp this day no one remembers anything about that game but the goal

Can hear them still whispering in the pub after itthe A-Holes .... But itsit's grand totally over it now ha

Here's another one that I found absolutely shocking; the 2010 Leinster Senior Football Final. You know the one, where Meath scored a winning goal that (a) was a square ball (b) carried over the goal line, and (c) thrown into the net. Felt absolutely sick for anyone from Louth that day, SECONDS from winning their first Leinster title in 53 years and the f*ck-ups of all f*ck-ups happens.

I'm sorry but Canning's commentary is hilarious

JoeSheridanGoalMeathvLouthJuly2010SPORTSFILE.jpg

joe+sheridan.jpg

00037f44-642.jpg

INPHO_00442887.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Here's another one that I found absolutely shocking; the 2010 Leinster Senior Football Final. You know the one, where Meath scored a winning goal that (a) was a square ball (b) carried over the goal line, and (c) thrown into the net. Felt absolutely sick for anyone from Louth that day, SECONDS from winning their first Leinster title in 53 years and the f*ck-ups of all f*ck-ups happens.

I'm sorry but Canning's commentary is hilarious

JoeSheridanGoalMeathvLouthJuly2010SPORTSFILE.jpg

joe+sheridan.jpg

00037f44-642.jpg

INPHO_00442887.jpg

I was a good goal, he took it well ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Worst was probably France being awarded that last gasp try against Scotland in 2007 to snatch the Six Nations title from our grasp. As close as I've ever come to crying watching sport.

Henry's handball is a close 2nd.

Fecking French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,271 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    Henry handball, I'm still not over it.

Most of that match if truth be told. It was absolutely nerve wracking when we were 1-0 in front and then started creating chance after chance in the second half when it was obvious that a single away goal would see us through to SA.

My nerves were already shot through when Henry set up the French goal, but I think the real damage was done in the 90 minutes.....I still have nightmares from seeing Damien Duff through on goal and Lloris making a desperate save.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Most of that match if truth be told. It was absolutely nerve wracking when we were 1-0 in front and then started creating chance after chance in the second half when it was obvious that a single away goal would see us through to SA.

My nerves were already shot through when Henry set up the French goal, but I think the real damage was done in the 90 minutes.....I still have nightmares from seeing Damien Duff through on goal and Lloris making a desperate save.

I'll have to find a video of the game again some day, just to relive the terrible experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,271 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'll have to find a video of the game again some day, just to relive the terrible experience.

We played really, really well for 90 minutes but perhaps sealed our own fate by not scoring the second goal, especially after creating three or four clearcut chances in the second half.

We started to tire in extra time and retreat into defensive mode and weren't really creating anything, so the failure to put them away in normal time came back to haunt us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Munster losing to Northampton in 2000.

Munster losing to Leinster in 2009.

Graf losing to Davenport at Wimbledon in 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Ireland being rejected on a rematch with France for the World Cup. I even remember a petition on FB for that

Advertisement