Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lone Runner

• 22-03-2014 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

5:30am, it snowed last night,coffee, banana and the search is on for the tights,hat and gloves that had been put away 'til winter.A planned 2hr run @9min miles.It's fresh and although I know I'll be removing hat and gloves by mile 3,it's a cosy feeling to begin with.A hill to begin(as always)8:45 mile 1,shin splints becoming a distant memory(as is the 9min mile),feeling good.It so peaceful,quiet.Only me and thoughts of moving forward,technique,breathing.
    13.35miles
    1hr48min
    avg 8:09 min mile
    elev.gain 589ft
    Open the back door quietly(IMO)looking forward to a bath,big breakfast,coffee.
    "Dad is that you",hesitate,hold breath,don't move.
    "DAAAAAAAAAAAD"
    Yes love.
    Wanna play Xbox.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cookie77

My first race was in april 13. A half marathon.Had done some running in 2012 but really very little and none in the winter.January had me out running again maybe 10 miles a week.Did a plan for the half.11 mile long run in 2hours had me exhausted.Wasn't expecting much on the day but that didn't stop me from standing at the very front of the race(ignorant fecker i was).First mile went fast.I was being mowed down by the proper runners whilst trying to get runtastic started on the smart phone.After some choice words thrown at me they were away.By the time i got gps mile 1 had passed in 7mins and I needed to slow down.My running top was too big coupled with a rain shower gave way too the chaffing, this was new too me but googled it after and got away likely compared too some of the bloody pictures i've seen since.I was more surprised than anyone when i finished in 1:46.You'll be for the marathon now they said,no way, couldn't walk proper for a week after.So after entering DCM I ran a half in sept in 1:38 and felt 3:30 was in reach.Blew up at mile 18 and dragged myself home in 3:57.Currently tapering for the conn ultra and looking forward to it.If anyone wants to throw their 2cents of advice this way it will be embraced with open arms.I only know what i read on the net and no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

cookie77 wrote: »
    My first race was in april 13. A half marathon.Had done some running in 2012 but really very little and none in the winter.January had me out running again maybe 10 miles a week.Did a plan for the half.11 mile long run in 2hours had me exhausted.Wasn't expecting much on the day but that didn't stop me from standing at the very front of the race(ignorant fecker i was).First mile went fast.I was being mowed down by the proper runners whilst trying to get runtastic started on the smart phone.After some choice words thrown at me they were away.By the time i got gps mile 1 had passed in 7mins and I needed to slow down.My running top was too big coupled with a rain shower gave way too the chaffing, this was new too me but googled it after and got away likely compared too some of the bloody pictures i've seen since.I was more surprised than anyone when i finished in 1:46.You'll be for the marathon now they said,no way, couldn't walk proper for a week after.So after entering DCM I ran a half in sept in 1:38 and felt 3:30 was in reach.Blew up at mile 18 and dragged myself home in 3:57.Currently tapering for the conn ultra and looking forward to it.If anyone wants to throw their 2cents of advice this way it will be embraced with open arms.I only know what i read on the net and no more.

Firstly, start using the space bar after each full stop and maybe the odd paragraph also :pac:

Secondly, bodyglide for the chaffing. It's a godsent!

Fair play to you for tackling the ultra

Thanks Gavlor. I was using vaseline for a while but since I lost a stone there's been far less chest action going on and no friction since.

13 miles @8:43 avg. pace with a 1183 ft. elevation over 3 hills @ a 3% gradient.

That should set me up nicely for connemara. Unless I calculated conn. gradient wrong that is.
    Felt great all through the run and found the hills easier than on previous occasions. Although on previous occasions I was either at the beginning or the tail end of a 5hr. run with a 2lt hydration pack full of goodies. :)

Monday
    Whilst driving home in the wind and rain planning tonights run in my head, I realised that after last weeks shuffle of back to backs I was on a rest day(woohoo). Watched Harry Potter with the kids and bed early. Sure i'll be well rested come 5:15am for an early run.

Tuesday
    6pm:D 7 miles middle 3@MP (a very optimistic MP)

8:37
    8:28
    7:49
    7:50
    7:40
    8:32
    8:22

Lovely evening for a run.

Gonna add some goals here for 2014.
    Half marathon sub 95min
    Marathon sub 3:30
    Connemara ultra finish
    Tralee 100k finish

• Advertisement

Wednesday

5 mile recovery run.

Out for a run with my wife. Calves were at me all day so wore my calf guards. Normally only use them after a long run. We tend to work back to back so had a great chat. Looks like we'll do DCM together. Took my mind off the calves. Her podiatrist gave her a stretch board to use on her achilles tendonitus. First time using it tonight, really gave the calves a good stretch.
    Need to trust in the training and try and take the next week easy.

7 miles @ 8:56 avg pace

A cyclist passing commented on the benefit of freewheeling (fecker). Must get the bike out once a week from now on.
    Would love to hold this pace for conn. but I think the wiser option would be a 10 min avg. for the first 5 and take it from there.
    Calves feel good (he says standing on the stretch board whilst typing).

Friday

1.5hr cycle with some foam rolling and stretching.

20mins sitting on a bag of ice.

Only my second cycle this year since I left school. Hopefully find the time to add this in each week and build on the time.

Saturday

10miles @9:20 avg. mile

Must have been 15 degrees out there tonight, windy but dry. Felt great tonight but think i'll do first 10 in conn. at 10min mile. At tonights pace I think I would start to fade on the last half mara. Would rather the opposite if possible.

Sure if I ran too fast i'd miss the Mamturk Mts. and Lough Inagh ;).

Advertisement