Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad and good football commentators

• 22-03-2014 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭

Commentators can add so much to a game. Make it better or worse than it actually is. It is easy to spot poor commentators.

From the old, old days i give you:

Mick Dunne (GAA) Dreadful

From today:

Is he called Peter Collins (RTE a presenter AND a commentator Footbal) No projection of any real excitment.

Generally I like those on the BBC / ITV. In fact there is an Irish voice on some MOTD matches and he seems good too.

Any others?

Before I forget. Sean Ban's commentary on Katie Taylor. Was he shedding tears? EMBARRASING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Anyone on BT Sport. All awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Barry Davies was a brilliant football commentator. I think he does other sports now such as tennis but I miss his commentary on football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Barry Davies was a brilliant football commentator. I think he does other sports now such as tennis but I miss his commentary on football.

I agree. He had a lovely style - less pointless chat and more considered talk about what is happening on the pitch. His autobiography is a good read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Every single one of the TV3/3E commentary team worst of the worst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

bobbyss wrote: »
    Generally I like those on the BBC / ITV. In fact there is an Irish voice on some MOTD matches and he seems good too.

Conor McNamara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

evilivor wrote: »
    Conor McNamara.

aye, he was on TV3 in the early days but was awful. 'Cunny Kenningham' being a highlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The only decent GAA commentator on RTE at the moment is Darragh Maloney. Ger Canning is absolutely terrible and Marty Morrisey isn't much better.Their obsession with calling players by their nicknames and some of the phrases Canning uses like "latitude" really drive me mad.

The commentators on TG4 are by far the best, they seem to have a real passion for the game and get into flow and rythm of the game and even though I don't understand a huge amount of Irish I find them better than RTE's commentators.

RTE's GAA punditry is terrible at this stage and although I am sure Michael Lyster is a nice fella his hosting of the show has gone downhill in the last few years he rarely if ever challenges any of the pundits when they start talking sh1te. The.The less said about Des Cahill's hosting of the night time version the better.

Eoin McDevitt was very good when he hosted Setanta's GAA coverage a few years ago and he should be given the job as host of the Sunday Game either the live or highlights show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

dpofloinn wrote: »
    Every single one of the TV3/3E commentary team worst of the worst

And the crowd they have back in the studio are even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

Barry Davies, John Motson and Clive Tyldsley in soccer.

GAA - Jimmy Magee, Marty Morrissey, Jimmy Smythe and your man who does the RTE games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amTygs99MS0 Barry Davies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahfh13nWZ0U Jimmy Smyth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cEc9kyQoGg Jimmy Magee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD3Qbwfk65M Marty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQxmz5TtGh4 Clive Tyldsley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0JPU-OZjNQ John Motson

Can't stand listening to Oisin McConville or any of the BBC soccer commentators nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

jimmy "no retirement for me" magee is so biased its unbeliveable, if he was english we'd be up in arms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Good:
    Russell Brand, Ray Hudson, Andy Gray, John Motson.

Bad:
    Trevor Welch, Alan Shearer, Consummate Ease, Mark Lawrenson, Ian Wright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Anyone remember the great Brian Moore? The best ever IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Rather then list all the commentators I will name the best commentator Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh GAA commentator.
    The worst commentator is Clive Tyldesley soccer commentator.

Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh – I remember been a match down the country there was a break in play for about 5 minutes. I could hear Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh a few rows behind me constantly talking away making the game exciting even though nothing was happening,
    During the game he comes out with great comments. For example "... a mighty poc from the hurl of Séan Óg Ó hAlpín, his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."
    "... Teddy McCarthy to John McCarthy, no relation, John McCarthy back to Teddy McCarthy, still no relation."
    He also has the knack of saying hello to someone watching the game in far flung places like Bejing, and managing to thank such and such a woman for sending in the buns. Then go back to the play.

Clive Tyldesley – what can you say here, he is the master of the Jingoistic stereotype stated in a smug manner. One example of this was when Ireland were playing England in 2013. He stated “the Irish fans were having a good time tonight” then he said “They probably have a good time every night.” When Ireland were well beaten by Spain in Euro 2012 Tyldesley said “they are happy drunks the Irish”.

It must be noted he does not only single out the Irish nation. He loves the “Don’t mention the war” type comments for the Germans. Added to these tired statements he makes, he has an extremely annoying habit of pronouncing another as “annn-odd-hur”.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement