Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4.5 - The Wait

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

from past experience they would confirm if its passed or ongoing, but not what stage your on. Maybe its dfferent this time.
    What gave you the impression that doing a drugs test meant your vetting had cleared?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Chicken82

They didn't contact me! I contacted them, rang switchboard and asked to speak to someone because I was group two and hadn't heard a thing, they said there were 5 checks and only three of mine were back at that point. Was put through to HR initially and they transferred me to someone who was dealing with the hopefuls. Wouldn't recommend contacting them, the person I was speaking to told me to be patient and that if there was a problem I'd hear about it :/ they confirmed though that everything else, including substance misuse test was clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Sdcharger

don't know why you would contact them if you were only in group 2 as there are 100's in group 2 and there's only a few got the call from it and still people waiting from group one, it could well be 3 or 4 intakes before you get a call. Not much patience shown at all.

The point being made about the substance misuse test is that it cost the psni a few hundred pounds per person to perform one, therefore they wouldn't just do one and waste the money if you were going to be so far down the merit list you wouldn't be employed, they would only do one if they had every intention of employing you if vetting clears therefore it is a good sign.

Sdcharger wrote: »
    don't know why you would contact them if you were only in group 2 as there are 100's in group 2 and there's only a few got the call from it and still people waiting from group one, it could well be 3 or 4 intakes before you get a call. Not much patience shown at all.

The point being made about the substance misuse test is that it cost the psni a few hundred pounds per person to perform one, therefore they wouldn't just do one and waste the money if you were going to be so far down the merit list you wouldn't be employed, they would only do one if they had every intention of employing you if vetting clears therefore it is a good sign.

On the previous page someone had suggested that candidates wouldn't be offered a substance misuse test unless vetting had cleared. I was offering some informed insight into this clearly not being the case, this is after all a thread where people can compare experiences and offer relevant knowledge on the process. And it was more than a 'few' people who got a call. GV is working on 5 week rolling intakes, the first having already started, the second squad has already been picked that those are the people who recieved the calls, ie an entire squad. Only trying to help people in the same situation here, the waiting game isn't fun.

it was me made the previous point...and I didn't say that, there have been 2 squads of approx. 45 and nearly all of those have been taken from group 1 which was about 100, very few have been from 2a, I would say you could count them on 2 hands and if you read back on the forum you'll see most of the 2a selected were ones who scored A* and just missed group 1 because of a late assessment centre, I'm in 2a and not expecting a call until july/august/September and happy to wait as the waiting game is something you sign up for when you apply to join a merit list for the psni. Saying all that I'll still be hoping the phone to ring in June.

• Advertisement

pcplod wrote: »
    As a previous post said, they wouldn't spend hundreds on a drugs test if they wernt intending on offering that person a position, its the very last stage and my reckoning is that they don't send people for that stage unless everything else is cleared....as in the vetting.

That's the post I had read. Only trying to help, I'm fully prepared for a wait, means there's still hope, I thought the last lot of calls were mostly group two people with a few group ones, obviously I've been misinformed, my hope of a possible June call just evaporated a little!!! :(

they should be more transparent, letting people know they are through all stages, it's the not knowing and the fact they can just turn round and decline you at any time that's the worst, hard not to put your life on hold waiting the call but it's the worst thing you can do I suppose :( even if they sent out a letter saying you'd passed vetting would be great, if only.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

Sdcharger wrote: »
    it was me made the previous point...and I didn't say that, there have been 2 squads of approx. 45 and nearly all of those have been taken from group 1 which was about 100, very few have been from 2a, I would say you could count them on 2 hands and if you read back on the forum you'll see most of the 2a selected were ones who scored A* and just missed group 1 because of a late assessment centre, I'm in 2a and not expecting a call until july/august/September and happy to wait as the waiting game is something you sign up for when you apply to join a merit list for the psni. Saying all that I'll still be hoping the phone to ring in June.
    Just an FYI. Second squad is smaller than you state and there's quite a few from second batches a passes not just the first batch that I was in. I wouldn't base much on the online categories. Just wait it out and remember you are all still in the game until told otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PT93

Just read in the Belfast Telegraph there that '7500 apply for just 100 new constable jobs at the PSNI'. Can't post the link but it's in their Northern Ireland section online and in the paper.

Article go's on to say that they're hoping to take on another 378 in the next campaign. Mentions nothing about the additional officers which they have secured funding for the first campaign. Does this mean they are only taking on 100 from this campaign or am I just being paranoid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

Chicken82 wrote: »
    I had my drugs test last month and my vetting still hasn't cleared... Out of the 5 checks they do only two are back, doesn't necessarily indicate a problem, I've a big family and some take longer than others, my drugs test was passed weeks ago but I'm still waiting... sorry to disappoint, but an invitation to drugs tests doesn't mean your vetting has cleared :(

Did they say why it was taking so long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Dutch_Rudder

PT93 wrote: »
    Just read in the Belfast Telegraph there that '7500 apply for just 100 new constable jobs at the PSNI'. Can't post the link but it's in their Northern Ireland section online and in the paper.

Article go's on to say that they're hoping to take on another 378 in the next campaign. Mentions nothing about the additional officers which they have secured funding for the first campaign. Does this mean they are only taking on 100 from this campaign or am I just being paranoid?

I think it's at the very least 200. That guy BobLaw88 who is part of the second intake said asked at the SRN and they said 200. It caused a bit of a stir on here and got more than a few of us worried but apparently the NI Policing Board have confirmed a larger number than that so as usual it's a waiting game.

Personally, I highly doubt so many people would have been put through online learning, PCAs etc. if they were only taking in 100 people. I'm more inclined to believe (and hope) it's the larger number of 378. The 100 figure is from last year's budget and the additional 378 is from this year's if I've understood it correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

PT93 wrote: »

Funding was secured for up to 378 from campaign one and 384 from campaign two.

This link on the PSNI website refers to appointing a further 378 from the current merit pool. In my opinion, it wouldn't make much sense to not at least exhaust this current merit list to funding capabilities when they've secured enough funding to warrant another campaign opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PT93

Thanks for the reassurance, only thing I'm waiting on is a medical date and it doesn't seem like they'd waste all the time and resources, online learning and drug test etc, if they didn't intend for there to be enough places. Preferably hoping it's the 378.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

I think it's at the very least 200. That guy BobLaw88 who is part of the second intake said asked at the SRN and they said 200. It caused a bit of a stir on here and got more than a few of us worried but apparently the NI Policing Board have confirmed a larger number than that so as usual it's a waiting game.

Personally, I highly doubt so many people would have been put through online learning, PCAs etc. if they were only taking in 100 people. I'm more inclined to believe (and hope) it's the larger number of 378. The 100 figure is from last year's budget and the additional 378 is from this year's if I've understood it correctly.

Someone from the first intake said that GV staff hoped to have 200 in GV by September
    Plus I think they are taking people right through to next year so 400,is closer to the Mark. I was told by a high ranking officer they are looking for 700 approx over two years.

I would ignore the news article.

Did they say why it was taking so long?

No, it's an independent department that deals with vetting etc, I was told it's near impossible to predict how long it will take and why some take so much longer than others, that said, I have a huge family, and some live overseas and it was suggested that that would take longer to look into than say an only child or small local family. Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭221988

This stage is extremely frustrating but at least we are in the same boat. Thank god for this forum!! An email or letter saying that vetting was clear would be nice. Do they let us know if there is an issue it? I hadn't really thought about it but starting to worry now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Quite funny watching you all worry, can't imagine what you would be like if you haven't even received your PCA date yet! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sweet chuck

I feel for the guys who havent got vetting forms or PCA through yet. Long wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

I officially belong here in 'the wait'. Hooray!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

19087 wrote: »
    I officially belong here in 'the wait'. Hooray!!

excellent!! Well done! U pass your medical i take it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

pcplod wrote: »
    excellent!! Well done! U pass your medical i take it?

Cheers, yeah, just got the letter 😊!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

happy days for you! well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sweet chuck

19087 wrote: »
    Cheers, yeah, just got the letter 😊!

Happy days. What timescale was there from medical to receiving the letter?

Happy days. What timescale was there from medical to receiving the letter?

i had my letter within 4 days

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BarnesLeBeau

What's the story with those of us that have passed everything and are waiting on 'the call', can we reapply to the new campaign that started today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

What's the story with those of us that have passed everything and are waiting on 'the call', can we reapply to the new campaign that started today?

Going to a familiarisation day on Monday I'm going to ask them the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭psni_lad

Think you lot that are just waiting now won't need to reapply tbh. You're all but in I think. That said it can't hurt your application to have another one set up just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

Next calls go out before the end of recruitment so maybe wait an see?

Personally, I'd reapply no matter what stage you're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BarnesLeBeau

Cheers for replies folks. I was in first group through PCA, medical etc, so you can imagine how long I've been waiting. Have heard nothing from vetting or about SMT, I assume it's only if there's a prob you hear from that end?

• Advertisement

Cheers for replies folks. I was in first group through PCA, medical etc, so you can imagine how long I've been waiting. Have heard nothing from vetting or about SMT, I assume it's only if there's a prob you hear from that end?

yea u only get notified if you have failed a stage

Advertisement