Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4.5 - The Wait

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 PTR292

Just look at it like this.. everything happens for a reason and while it might seem bad now it will hopefully be for the better in the long run

Tho that doesnt make the rubbish feeling now any better :/

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Dutch_Rudder

Mop a top wrote: »
    Having one of those moments now. Just had to unfollow a certain thread :'(

Mop you know how you were saying about 4 being your lucky number? What's your favourite colour? Maybe what's actually happening is they're gonna let you in when the squad colour matches if they're still doing that! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Mop you know how you were saying about 4 being your lucky number? What's your favourite colour? Maybe what's actually happening is they're gonna let you in when the squad colour matches if they're still doing that! ;)

Sorry :( don't mean to put a downer on #4

Purple or red.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

Definitely looks as though anyone who is successful from hereon in will start on the lower salary..

I've sent an email to enquire. Will let yis know if/when they get back to me.

More good news!!! :-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 PTR292

I currently earn no more than 12k so even at a lower salary im still better off lol Tho would have been nice to have had that little extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Dekkers wrote: »
    Definitely looks as though anyone who is successful from hereon in will start on the lower salary..

I think the prospects of unlimited overtime is an attractive feature of the job (for some of us lol).
    The base salary is lower so does this also mean the hourly rate for overtime is lower too ? trying to figure out if the ramifications go beyond just a simple cut of x amount of pounds.

Desert_Creat15 posted a useful link showing the financials and there's still the immediate £3000 increase after GV to take into account so it's not like people are going to be on £19,000 for the full two years of probation :) and hopefully if they get back to Dekkers with clarification people will know either way if it affects the 2013 campaign or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

I would like to think that everyone wouldn't sit back and take the fact lightly that people a few weeks ahead of them are a couple of grand better off for doing same job. On phone here, hope it makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Sdcharger

I would like to think that everyone wouldn't sit back and take the fact lightly that people a few weeks ahead of them are a couple of grand better off for doing same job. On phone here, hope it makes sense.

That's just how business works, unfortunate but just got to get on with it!

• Advertisement

As will be the case !

I know I'm jumping the gun here, but i just think it isn't particularly fair and quite frankly, a bit of an insult to have other students on much higher pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭crinkley

As will be the case !

Just think it's not fair and quite frankly, a slight insult to have other students on much higher pay.

Happened to me first job out of college, kills you at the beginning knowing ppl ahead of you are on higher, vetting held me back due to time spent living abroad and was on 2k less than someone who started practically the same time. You forget eventually, I'm sure the police union were tryig to protecting already serving officers, easier to hit those just starting out

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sgt_fenners

As will be the case !

I know I'm jumping the gun here, but i just think it isn't particularly fair and quite frankly, a bit of an insult to have other students on much higher pay.

I do agree. Especially from the same recruitment intake. It's a bit of a joke really but I do want this job...so I have a few splinters in my bum from sitting on the fence lol

crinkley wrote: »
    Happened to me first job out of college, kills you at the beginning knowing ppl ahead of you are on higher, vetting held me back due to time spent living abroad and was on 2k less than someone who started practically the same time. You forget eventually, I'm sure the police union were tryig to protecting already serving officers, easier to hit those just starting out

It's not 2k we're talking about here though! lol It's £4k or £5k ! They haven't hit those starting out yet, those 3 intakes are and will be on old scale. Anything after 3rd intake will be on peanuts in comparison.
    I do agree. Especially from the same recruitment intake. It's a bit of a joke really but I do want this job...so I have a few splinters in my bum from sitting on the fence lol
    Same as, but if i ever get a chance to start, I would much prefer to be treated as equally as the other student officers who started a few weeks before me. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭gmck26

Lets not get too annoyed before we get the info pack. I think we will be ok as when we applied this was the higher stated on the application pack. Plus we are starting before the change actually takes place!!!

(Staying positive)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭JMcClane

Slightly off topic a bit but approximately how much notice do you get from receiving the call to actually starting.

I know I am jumping the gun a bit, but my employer requires me to work a 6 week notice period so I am trying figure out how best to approach this if I get that far.

JMcClane wrote: »
    Slightly off topic a bit but approximately how much notice do you get from receiving the call to actually starting.

I know I am jumping the gun a bit, but my employer requires me to work a 6 week notice period so I am trying figure out how best to approach this if I get that far.

Normally about 5 weeks notice so may need a bit of flexibility from your employer. However we got slightly more this time (probably due to july holidays)

gmck26 wrote: »
    Normally about 5 weeks notice so may need a bit of flexibility from your employer. However we got slightly more this time (probably due to july holidays)

Hopefully they will be flexible if it comes to that.

Dekkers wrote: »

Let me know when you get a reply Dekkers. I hope you are wrong otherwise it will take 4 and a half years to get back to what I am on now.

Don't think even the reduced pay will put me off though. (Damn it for wanting this job so much)

Desert_Creat15 posted a useful link showing the financials and there's still the immediate £3000 increase after GV to take into account so it's not like people are going to be on £19,000 for the full two years of probation :) and hopefully if they get back to Dekkers with clarification people will know either way if it affects the 2013 campaign or not.

That 3k pay rise after GV is all well and good but that isn't really a great comparison when you factor in that guys on 23k will still get a further 2k after they finish GV/probation (can't remember which cos the money side never really interested me until now).

I hate to be a bitch but I'd be mighty pissed off that anyone employed from the 13090 campaign gets £19k when others who did the same testing and applied under the same promise of 23k and doesn't get it. It's unethical and I think could cause tension to an extent. I know personally my nose would be out of joint that a colleague who passed their medical a week before me and had almost an identical AC score gets 4k more than me.

Everyone saying that unlimited overtime being available is great, that maybe so if you're young free and single. I've got kids and as much as I'd give my arm to do this job I'm not sacrificing all my time off and being able to see them so I can work myself into the ground to make up a 4k shortfall in my wages. I want this job so much and the attraction of a decent wage to provide for the kids and to actually be able to afford a childminder was an important factor. If I get a call and they say 19k I hate to say it but I'll actually have to consider my options.

• Advertisement

I hate to be a bitch but I'd be mighty pissed off that anyone employed from the 13090 campaign gets £19k when others who did the same testing and applied under the same promise of 23k and doesn't get it. It's unethical and I think could cause tension to an extent. I know personally my nose would be out of joint that a colleague who passed their medical a week before me and had almost an identical AC score gets 4k more than me.

There was no promise of 23k, it said pay was under review from the time of application, they are going to have to start somewhere with the decrease in wages and they set the date of 1st September 2014, it is a bit strange that it would be mid-campaign but that can happen in the big bad world of employment better than last time, when a friend of mine applied was all but in then recruitment freeze and they put a stop to it!

Fine but didn't they have a budget set for the recruitment campaign? If they had to make budget cuts why not start everyone on 19 than making it unfair to some after it. I know it's the big bad world, experienced it all too often myself, I just think it sucks and that's my opinion on it. Everyone's entitled to one of those.

Is the issue not really that it's more of a government mandate rather than a decision taken by the PSNI? In other words they really have no choice in the matter and have to fall into line with the mainland forces in this aspect?

That being said, I do see why people are getting irritated or wanting to reconsider their position, the lack of clarity is clearly a problem and could definitely cause issues with morale etc.

You and I both know with what's going on in this narrow minded country we shouldn't be falling in line with the mainland. You only need to look at what George is having to deal with and potentially the way it's going to kick off again.

I don't agree that PSNI who have to carry PPW's and run extra risks should be getting paid the same as a peeler I know in Scotland who has pics of him in uniform and his job on his Facebook and says they just don't have the same threat as us is very fair. I think the government have fcuked up totally on that one. They'd have known about the budget cuts, they've been arguing them too long. They should bite the bullet and put everyone in this campaign on 23 or 19 not half and half. I thought this was supposed to be personal professional policing not ripping the bag out of the next generation. If they can't be transparent and honest about the wages with us from the get go how are they expecting to get recruits to basically give their all. After all it's a 24/7 job not some cushy 19k lifeguard at the local swimming pool job

You and I both know with what's going on in this narrow minded country we shouldn't be falling in line with the mainland. You only need to look at what George is having to deal with and potentially the way it's going to kick off again.

I don't agree that PSNI who have to carry PPW's and run extra risks should be getting paid the same as a peeler I know in Scotland who has pics of him in uniform and his job on his Facebook and says they just don't have the same threat as us is very fair. I think the government have fcuked up totally on that one. They'd have known about the budget cuts, they've been arguing them too long. They should bite the bullet and put everyone in this campaign on 23 or 19 not half and half. I thought this was supposed to be personal professional policing not ripping the bag out of the next generation. If they can't be transparent and honest about the wages with us from the get go how are they expecting to get recruits to basically give their all. After all it's a 24/7 job not some cushy 19k lifeguard at the local swimming pool job

They don't get paid the same, Northern Irish ones get an extra allowance there is 3k added on to the 19k as far as I know.

Sdcharger wrote: »
    They don't get paid the same, Northern Irish ones get an extra allowance there is 3k added on to the 19k as far as I know.

Wasn't the wages 23k in training 25k after GV then up again after probation?

Yes that roughly correct but it doesn't mention an extra 3k NI allowance you can add on the top of that.

No the 3k "danger money" is on top of the basic.

Sdcharger wrote: »
    Yes that roughly correct but it doesn't mention an extra 3k NI allowance you can add on the top of that.

I had heard that that's what it was. 23k + 3 the 25+3. Still quite a difference though. They should have had this sh*t sorted long before recruiting had begun and they said they had the budget to recruit 378, I would have imagined it was 378 on 23k

• Advertisement

Anyone know if the NI allowance is still going to be paid out if the wage gets cut to 19k? If so after 22 weeks you would be getting roughly 25k a year, something that I don't think many would turn their noses up at. Definitely agree with Mop here though that Northern Ireland should not be subject to the same cuts or regulations placed on mainland forces, it is just not the same situation.

Advertisement