Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4.5 - The Wait

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dr_watson

Batman91 wrote: »
    Surely with a 65 desert you must be feeling a little confident of getting a call? I have fingers and toes crossed that a 63 might sneak in this time.

If only. In the same boat. Even the most optimistic part of me is telling me not to get hopes up. This whole thing is putting years on me. Did you email to see if your vetting has cleared?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Whole not knowing thing has me anxious. I'd be dead set to be in if intake was 40 strong but not too confident if it's only going to be 21!

Someone mentioned there could be nothing til December, why so?

5th week since last calls will be next Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

Next intake is due to be 18th January as far as I know

Think that's longer than the 5 weeks from Decembers intake

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭didierdrogba

There was always a planned delay round Christmas from the very start

pb82 wrote: »
    Next intake is due to be 18th January as far as I know

Think that's longer than the 5 weeks from Decembers intake

By only 1 week if true

• Advertisement

Dr_watson wrote: »
    By only 1 week if true

How many weeks were the phone calls prior to induction before?

Induction is 21st December if there is a squad

Are inductions not the w/e after a new intake?

Also some stats from the 1309 campaign here, scroll over half way down and you're looking for the heading "Appointees from under-represented groups (Resources Committee)"

http://www.nipolicingboard.org.uk/written_response_to_questions_for_november_2014.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Perkunas

Personally I'd love to know the number of recruits who complete training, but then don't start into a police job or have quit already. One of the members of police staff I was chatting to at the last stage said there was a high level of recruits passing out, but not taking up a place . . . which really annoys me!!

Perkunas wrote: »
    Personally I'd love to know the number of recruits who complete training, but then don't start into a police job or have quit already. One of the members of police staff I was chatting to at the last stage said there was a high level of recruits passing out, but not taking up a place . . . which really annoys me!!

Well all of the recruits who have passed out already from 1309 are currently in job. A few resigned before graduation but only 1 or 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Perkunas

Well all of the recruits who have passed out already from 1309 are currently in job. A few resigned before graduation but only 1 or 2

Apologies if I am wrong, but that's what I was told. That lots of recruits were dropping out either during training or a few days into the job

Yep

Think there are one or 2 fallers between the induction and start date then maybe 1 or 2 drop out during training

Squad 2 is due to pass out soon but would imagine they will all take up their posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Well you mightn't want to read any further then!!! I'm just off the phone from HR dept to see what the craic is with a medical deferral for the PCA. Basically I asked if I deferred to jan would I get a place if I passed. Her reply wasn't great! She said if I do the upcoming PCA and pass it I'm not even guaranteed a spot in the next intake or two even though I've a higher score. She went on to say they're not guaranteed the 378 recruits and now they have to wait on approval for each intake, like last months and it's going to continue like that for the rest of this campaign due to the budget cuts. She said they're still waiting to hear if they'll get approval for Jan so all you lucky buggers who's vetting passed quicker than mine and who get a call soon thank your lucky stars and make the most of the opportunity that I'd currently give my right arm for lol. Good luck my lovelies

Mop a top wrote: »
    Well you mightn't want to read any further then!!! I'm just off the phone from HR dept to see what the craic is with a medical deferral for the PCA. Basically I asked if I deferred to jan would I get a place if I passed. Her reply wasn't great! She said if I do the upcoming PCA and pass it I'm not even guaranteed a spot in the next intake or two even though I've a higher score. She went on to say they're not guaranteed the 378 recruits and now they have to wait on approval for each intake, like last months and it's going to continue like that for the rest of this campaign due to the budget cuts. She said they're still waiting to hear if they'll get approval for Jan so all you lucky buggers who's vetting passed quicker than mine and who get a call soon thank your lucky stars and make the most of the opportunity that I'd currently give my right arm for lol. Good luck my lovelies

Gutted for you, sad that delays in vetting can go against you, you'd think if u had a higher score completion dates wouldn't be taken into account it would be the score that mattered

I did say they are working on a squad by squad basis, there is no guarantee anyone will get in

Sad but true

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bearington

This news is a bit of a blow, although the fact that the Chief Constable has stated he "anticipates" appointments from 13/09 to continue until early 2015 gives me a bit of hope.

Hate to think how campaign 2 is going to pan out if this is how things are going for campaign 1!

Yes was just going to say that.

Definitely not looking great for campaign two either! :/

Yes was just going to say that.

Definitely not looking great for campaign two either! :/

Campaign 2 really only continued as the money had already been paid to deloitte when the cuts were announced

Be interesting to see if they get called to attend PCA

Well it's made my mind up for me. I'm strapping up the ankle, dosing up on pain killers and battering on this upcoming PCA. If I fail I fail. I'd rather go out like that than defer until fully fit only to be told sorry there's no more cash tough sh1t

Perkunas wrote: »
    Apologies if I am wrong, but that's what I was told. That lots of recruits were dropping out either during training or a few days into the job

No need to aplogise. Just don't believe everything people tell you either in real life or on this forum. Lots of people on here with crystal balls which don't seem to be working so well. The reality is that most of the stuff on here is best guess or chinese whispers. I emailed HR months ago before any of this budget cut nonsense and was getting the same thing...not in a position to confirm...cannot comment etc. There has been no announcement about any changes to the 1309 campaign as yet so what we were told originally in AC pass email still the official standing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

This sucks. You would think that considering the security situation in this country MLA's would make cuts elsewhere, perhaps starting with their own 'hard earned' salaries....

My thoughts exactly!!!! Hardly see them policing parades next year or landing at someone's door with the dreaded news

A cautious word of optimism: in this job, like any other in the public sector/eye, HR will always err on the side of caution. It's better to delight people who don't think they will get in than to promise something and subsequently let down someone. That's the stuff complaints are made of.

If they reduce intake numbers, they will reduce the staff training them. So far there hasn't been any widespread news of that happening.

A cautious word of optimism: in this job, like any other in the public sector/eye, HR will always err on the side of caution. It's better to delight people who don't think they will get in than to promise something and subsequently let down someone. That's the stuff complaints are made of.

If they reduce intake numbers, they will reduce the staff training them. So far there hasn't been any widespread news of that happening.

Exactly, the last thing they want to do is guarantee a position on paper and then renege on that.

But as stated, the decision is being made on a squad by squad basis so staffing levels won't be reduced until the decision to stop recruitment is made

My thoughts exactly!!!! Hardly see them policing parades next year or landing at someone's door with the dreaded news

If the role wasn't a necessity I could understand the cuts. To restrict the number of those who would maintain law and order in country that sorely needs a well manned and capable police force seems ridiculous to me.

Exactly, the last thing they want to do is guarantee a position on paper and then renege on that.

But as stated, the decision is being made on a squad by squad basis so staffing levels won't be reduced until the decision to stop recruitment is made

I wonder at which level in the hierarchy the decisions on recruitment are being made.

Cromlech wrote: »
    I wonder at which level in the hierarchy the decisions on recruitment are being made.

It's definitely at the top between the Chief Constable, corporate HR and acc finlay and god knows who else has a say in it

The CC has made it clear that maintaining the level of officers he feels are required is on his top 3 priorities. Obviously with budget cuts and a finite budget in year then recruitment levels will be in doubt. I asked the question about passing stages and being offered a place many months ago and the response was that they couldnt comment so I never felt it was a sure thing. Lets see what happens next week. With more than 700 passing AC and only max 378 places some people are going to be disappointed, maybe including me but only time will tell. If you are 65/64 and you dont get calls next week then maybe things will be changing but so far everything has gone very predictably.

It's definitely at the top between the Chief Constable, corporate HR and acc finlay and god knows who else has a say in it

Yeah, the Chief Constable appears to really want recruitment to go ahead, would be interesting to be a fly on the wall during one of their meetings.

It must be frustrating for front line supervisors who can see the urgent need for more manpower, and were initially under the impression that it was being addressed for the next year or two, to only have it taken away again.

• Advertisement

The CC has made it clear that maintaining the level of officers he feels are required is on his top 3 priorities. Obviously with budget cuts and a finite budget in year then recruitment levels will be in doubt. I asked the question about passing stages and being offered a place many months ago and the response was that they couldnt comment so I never felt it was a sure thing. Lets see what happens next week. With more than 700 passing AC and only max 378 places some people are going to be disappointed, maybe including me but only time will tell. If you are 65/64 and you dont get calls next week then maybe things will be changing but so far everything has gone very predictably.

I wonder what the numbers are after no shows and PCA/Medical/Vetting failures. I can't imagine many people at this stage would drop out of any of the latter 3 stages.

Advertisement