Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4.5 - The Wait

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SolidSnake44

Could be any number of things. I'm just going to try to forget about it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Tim89

Educated guess says that this is an intake of 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

Tim89 wrote: »
    Educated guess says that this is an intake of 20.

Someone phoned the other day and was told it was a full squad, but who knows.

This process really needs more transparency rather than leaving candidates in limbo and clueless as to what is going on.

Absolutely. It wouldn't be hard to fire out an email saying "we'll be making calls on this date and this date and this date. If you haven't heard anything by bthis date you have been unsuccessful"

Just any info at all to peoples minds at rest. This system is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

Absolutely. It wouldn't be hard to fire out an email saying "we'll be making calls on this date and this date and this date. If you haven't heard anything by bthis date you have been unsuccessful"

Just any info at all to peoples minds at rest. This system is a mess.

I think we spend the majority of our time trying to guess what is happening next or trying to reason why certain things have been done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Little M Sunshine.

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    Not to be Mr Negative but I would imagine if calls went out at 9am yesterday, they would go out the same time today. If anyone has actual numbers of people going into GV with this intake could they enlighten us? If the first squad from the 2nd campaign is to go in for May then there might be another squad, but of 20 or 40 who knows? Bound to be getting close to the 370 now... ?

I agree. Come Jan there will be around 310-320 people in GV from Campaign 1, (numbers came from 6 people that I know in GV on the previous intakes) with intake 9 trying to recruit another 42.

It is therefore not looking hopeful for those that have to repeat PCA, or those that remain on the low 60s. However, those that do get in are on the £23,259 as advertised (Confirmed by HR).

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

I agree. Come Jan there will be around 310-320 people in GV from Campaign 1, (numbers came from 6 people that I know in GV on the previous intakes) with intake 9 trying to recruit another 42.

It is therefore not looking hopeful for those that have to repeat PCA, or those that remain on the low 60s. However, those that do get in are on the £23,259 as advertised (Confirmed by HR).

I have also heard this, there are more or less done with this recruitment campaign as the numbers are around 360 confirmed either passed out, in training or going into GV soon. Meaning unless they take a small squad of 20, it does not look good.

Being on the higher wages is surely a good thing, those lucky enough to get in from campaign 2 are on lower haha. Imagine same thing only months apart and on so much less money. Money isn't a big issue for me, dream job could pay me in peanuts!

This is doubly painful as I am a 62 and was expecting £19,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

I had heard it was a full squad of 42

Unless as alluded to earlier the call are going out so far waiting on the pcas being done as they would be higher up the merit list, it would be in the psnis best interest to offer them a position as it appears to have been their fault a lot of people are having to re do the pca

It is a very quick turnaround this time I believe for induction weekend, this will be because of the Christmas holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭JtmC

I have some more information to add. I won't reveal sources but in a matter of trust the sources are reliable.

There is definetly another intake planned for February / March. How many more after I don't know.

What is also confirmed that intakes are made on budget/money available. This current intake 9 was.

HR confirmed that there is no set end date to the current campaign 13090 at the present time. Subject to change. This raises the question if it will go beyond March.

The new financial year starts in April and is subject to how much the chief con allocates to recruitment.

To be in the appointable band you must have all sections completed and after that it goes on the merit list depending on your score.

I've been advised to wait it out and see.

Back to waiting again. I am very disheartened in this process and won't be holding my breath any longer.

If the call comes it comes. I shudder to think we have come thus far through online learning etc to be told otherwise but only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

JtmC wrote: »
    I have some more information to add. I won't reveal sources but in a matter of trust the sources are reliable.

There is definetly another intake planned for February / March. How many more after I don't know.

What is also confirmed that intakes are made on budget/money available. This current intake 9 was.

HR confirmed that there is no set end date to the current campaign 13090 at the present time. Subject to change. This raises the question if it will go beyond March.

The new financial year starts in April and is subject to how much the chief con allocates to recruitment.

To be in the appointable band you must have all sections completed and after that it goes on the merit list depending on your score.

Back to waiting again. I am very disheartened in this process and won't be holding my breath any longer.

If the call comes it comes. I shudder to think we have come thus far through online learning etc to be told otherwise but only time will tell.

The differential between starting salaries from each campaign makes it impossible for an overlap in campaigns which is unfortunate

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭GavinusMaximus

I'm trying to stay upbeat about this, but it really is a kick in the teeth.
    I really thought that if there were any 62s called I would have been in.
    I was relying on the belief that my 62.4 score meant that I was in the front of the queue with any other 62.4s, but it seems that PB82 may be right about just rounding up.
    I just can't understand what other criteria they'd be assessing us against to determine merit list. I guess theyh could look at all 62s and then go to the IST scores.

Whatever it is i'm sick of this guessing game.
    Can't hope enough that you're right about the other intake.

Goodluck to those doing the repeat PCA this week, sounds like you have a guaranteed job if it's passed.
    Hope we all eventually join you.

pb82 wrote: »
    The differential between starting salaries from each campaign makes it impossible for an overlap in campaigns which is unfortunate

Dear PSNI,

I'll happily take a paycut if it helps get me in the doors.

Kind Regards, GavinusMaximus

It would seem the last 10-20 of the 378 left to recruit is being saved for those higher on the AC score that have to resit PCA or what ever else, which would mean there is little to no hope for anyone left in the first campaign. I have it on good authority there won't be another full intake this financial year, as in one of 42. The first batch due in from the second campaign are going in May so the vetting forms would need to be sent shortly.

I am sure its heart breaking for anyone whos come through the whole thing, and still haven't recieved the call. Why would the PSNI do this? Surely its a waste of money putting people right to the end to tell them no? It seems like the most fustrating recruitment process ever, something has to change surely...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 runningriot

all this opposing information from trusted sources is so confusing.

I don't think the 1309 campaign is quite finished yet, so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. I really do hope that we all get a offer, heaven only knows we've all been through this together!

I think I might take a self-imposed hiatus from relentlessly checking the boards. One minute I'm up, the next i'm down. Plus my Refresh button needs a break too!!

Good luck everyone! Let's just hope for positive news and fast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DaveNi

Im not giving up hope on this recruitment until it is confirmed by someone in authority.

We have all been waiting long over a year now, whats an extra month or so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dr_watson

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    It would seem the last 10-20 of the 378 left to recruit is being saved for those higher on the AC score that have to resit PCA or what ever else, which would mean there is little to no hope for anyone left in the first campaign. I have it on good authority there won't be another full intake this financial year, as in one of 42. The first batch due in from the second campaign are going in May so the vetting forms would need to be sent shortly.

I am sure its heart breaking for anyone whos come through the whole thing, and still haven't recieved the call. Why would the PSNI do this? Surely its a waste of money putting people right to the end to tell them no? It seems like the most fustrating recruitment process ever, something has to change surely...

It is normal to have more people on the merit list than there are spaces. This means that if people dont accept the job or their circumstances change there will be another person on the list to take the job. It is actually increases the efficiency of the process rather than wastes money. Thinking that everyone will get an offer is just unrealistic but I appreciate that you have to stay positive. Anyone scoring 60% at AC must have known in their head from the outset that chances were slim. That doesn't mean that no 60s will get an offer but surely not all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Dr_watson wrote: »
    Anyone scoring 60% at AC must have known in their head from the outset that chances were slim. That doesn't mean that no 60s will get an offer but surely not all.

A bit of empathy wouldn't go amiss for those on these boards currently waiting. Easy to say this when you've received the phone call, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭JtmC

It is normal to have more people on the merit list than there are spaces. This means that if people dont accept the job or their circumstances change there will be another person on the list to take the job. It is actually increases the efficiency of the process rather than wastes money. Thinking that everyone will get an offer is just unrealistic but I appreciate that you have to stay positive. Anyone scoring 60% at AC must have known in their head from the outset that chances were slim. That doesn't mean that no 60s will get an offer but surely not all.

There in lays the problem, money and efficiency over ethics. They allow applications to an excess of recruits in the knowledge that all of them may never be processed through the system to safeguard thier own process from a possible shortfall to save money.

For the record I'm not in the first campaign just the second, was meaning for those already in and having done everything it seems such a shame.

Got A* in 2nd campaign A C so am positive for myself.

• Advertisement

There in lays the problem, money and efficiency over ethics. They allow applications to an excess of recruits in the knowledge that all of them may never be processed through the system to safeguard thier own process from a possible shortfall to save money.

Well I don't know about ethics. This kind of process is typical for all kinds of recruitment when large numbers of candidates are processed. It's not unique to PSNI. Anyone applying to civil service or other public sector recruitmemt will have to go through a merit pool system and unfortunately some people will be left dissatisfied. I have empathy for everyone involved here still waiting but I just feel that it is important to put things in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DaveNi

If my calculations are correct, then after this full squad, we are sitting on 346 candidates, 32 places left for grabs

DaveNi wrote: »
    If my calculations are correct, then after this full squad, we are sitting on 346 candidates, 32 places left for grabs

I would say that you are not too far wrong with that number. I had thought 38 counting gaps left from some who quit or were dismissed before passing out. I can only speculate here but I imagine all the intake 9 spaces have been allocated because they were on the phone straight away on Monday morning and there are so many people that aren't on these boards. I think there will be one last squad in March including the PCA resits / deferrals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 monty2507

What's all this PCA resits about??..Im a 62 n done online learning 08-14 an unfortunately haven't received a thing only been told I have passed all 5 stages..This is mentally draining

monty2507 wrote: »
    What's all this PCA resits about??..Im a 62 n done online learning 08-14 an unfortunately haven't received a thing only been told I have passed all 5 stages..This is mentally draining

Some people have to redo PCA because it expires after 6 months. I am sure Mop can fill u in. These people will have AC scores 64+ and will probably have priority in relation to places in any further intake. No idea on numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭warofattrition

Some people have to redo PCA because it expires after 6 months. I am sure Mop can fill u in. These people will have AC scores 64+ and will probably have priority in relation to places in any further intake. No idea on numbers.

As above,some have to redo PCAs due to the length of time for vetting or Medical appeals.

Your PCA has a 6 month shelf life and must be current as you walk through the gates.You will not receive a phone call to start if you have passed everything yet your PCA is due to expire before the next intake start date.

I tried to stay away from this place for the evening but just can't help myself atm.

These are the confirmed boardies, new and old, who got the call. (Congrats again)
    The list seemed bigger to me yesterday with all the excitement.

1. Owenrs
    2. rekker
    3. Dr Watson
    4. DidierDrogba
    5. 1PcPlod
    7. 6Kerrsplash
    8. Batman91
    9. Bearington
    10. Coolerking

Would there really be more than 75% of people at this stage not registered on the Boards.
    I would have put that figure at around 50/50 at most, but it's anyones guess really.

It'd be handy if we could get confirmation of the numbers from someone at the PCA repeat this week.
    Based on the 10 new GV entrant numbers confirmed from here Id hazard a guess that those who pass the PCA will be added into 9

e.g. For the 42 spaces they've called 25 with offers, and reserved 17 spaces for the number of people to sit the PCA, just incase they all pass.

Again just more speculation, and the last i'll be making atleast until after the PCA resits.
    Until then, be well John Spartans

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭warofattrition

I tried to stay away from this place for the evening but just can't help myself atm.

These are the confirmed boardies, new and old, who got the call. (Congrats again)
    The list seemed bigger to me yesterday with all the excitement.

1. Owenrs
    2. rekker
    3. Dr Watson
    4. DidierDrogba
    5. 1PcPlod
    7. 6Kerrsplash
    8. Batman91
    9. Bearington
    10. Coolerking

Would there really be more than 75% of people at this stage not registered on the Boards.
    I would have put that figure at around 50/50 at most, but it's anyones guess really.

It'd be handy if we could get confirmation of the numbers from someone at the PCA repeat this week.
    Based on the 10 new GV entrant numbers confirmed from here Id hazard a guess that those who pass the PCA will be added into 9

e.g. For the 42 spaces they've called 25 with offers, and reserved 17 spaces for the number of people to sit the PCA, just incase they all pass.

Again just more speculation, and the last i'll be making atleast until after the PCA resits.
    Until then, be well John Spartans

You missed out number 6 ther Gav :v so 9 called off Boards.

I have figures for 15 being called off Boards for Intake 5 and 13 I think off Intake 3.

Factor in that those off Intake 3 were pretty active on Boards previous to being called and that the more the process goes on those called up were significantly less active.Long time lurkers if you will.

Figures and analysis will be skewed.

I have low figures off Boards for Intake 6(8)

Who knows,people could have applied for the 2014 Recruitment also and that may have affected their decision to post on here.A lot seem to wait until they receive the call before posting.Just an observation!

Human nature to be cautious and then to quickly tell others of good news!Not a negative,Good luck to all who are in and to those still waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭didierdrogba

I still kind of suspect there's a chance they have spaces in 9 reserved for pca resits too,but equally im basing that on there being only 9 of 42 registered on here,which I guess on reflection is entirely feasible...

Either way given the timescales involved I'd imagine should those people pass they'd need to be offered their place pretty much straight away to start in 9,so I'd say it'll be clear by the end of the week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

I got a call from recruitment chasing up on my medical form since it's now expired too. Not getting any hopes up cos as I was saying in a pm the rules of recruitment seem to change from squad to squad. Well done everyone on 9 and anyone waiting, forget about it, it's less torturous on you, live and enjoy life now, you're not promised tomorrow so why waste today on the what ifs. I spent too many months doing that and it's a regret now cos it's just made me need the red hair dye a bit too much lmfao!!!!

Advertisement