Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee places

Options
  • 22-03-2014 4:14am

So many places to get coffee yet a great, let alone good cup of it is hard to come by.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Can anyone recommend pura vida?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

D Trent wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend pura vida?

Yes, love it for the location and vibe of the building (esp upstairs looking over the Arch/Claddagh). Coffee is good. Food was a bit <mumble> but seems to have improved recently (new mgmt, or perhaps just new staff).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Galway desperately needs a tea shop..in case anyone needs an idea :cool:

Galway city council are recognising the overflow of coffee shops and cafés in the city centre and are doing something to combat it...........

.............said no one , ever

Overflow me arse. Try finding somewhere that's not a pub or restaurant to have a decent coffee after 6pm most any night, and you'll still end up in Javas.

That said, these businesses come and go very fast. I'd swear that the shopfitters are the ones making most money from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

So many places to get coffee yet a great, let alone good cup of it is hard to come by.

Yeah, the city center could really do with a Starbucks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

snubbleste wrote: »

Cupan Tae
    Spanish arch, cant get a better tea place than that. Real homie.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Posts split to new thread for dragging the other thread too off-topic

snubbleste wrote: »

Secret Garden does lots of teas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 LMellows

Yeah except it's not actually had to come by at all. In fact it's rarer to find a bad cup of it.

Disappointed to see a Costa opening up on Quay St. Ruins the look of the street and was always quite proud of the lack of big coffee chains in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

LMellows wrote: »
    Yeah except it's not actually had to come by at all. In fact it's rarer to find a bad cup of it.

Disappointed to see a Costa opening up on Quay St. Ruins the look of the street and was always quite proud of the lack of big coffee chains in Galway.

In total agreement, bad coffee, zero atmosphere. spotted a new cafe on sea road today, urban grind i think it was called, looks like its worth a visit, good luck to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Totally agree with you LMellows. Costa ruins the feel of Quay St.

Mr Waffle in Newcastle do lovely coffee and their scones are always fresh and yum. Also like An Cupan Tae for coffee and always nice for a treat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 smalls90

Butlers on Shop St does the nicest cup in the city I think.
    the jungle cafe on Foster St does a nice cup too. Friendly staff and nice little spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good coffee is easy to come by in the city, I've yet to get an awful cup anywhere.
    Of course it's all down to individual taste and level of snobbery ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Il Vicolo do good coffee consistantly. Another new coffee place going in opposite The Abbey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Where is the best place for coffee (including take away) during non business hours (without having to go to a restaurant)? For example Sunday at 8pm.

Where is the best place for coffee (including take away) during non business hours (without having to go to a restaurant)? For example Sunday at 8pm.

Javas is pretty much the only option.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

You'll have to go to a restaurant or Java's.

I like decaf so I'm always on the hunt for a good cup. Favourites so far are:

1. Mr. Waffle (out of town I know)
    2. La Fine Bouche on Sea Road
    3. Butler's chocolate cafe
    4. Insomnia in the Galway Shopping Centre Eason's

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

An Tobar Nua on Dominick Street do the best coffee in town hands down. It's brewed... so free refills!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

I think I've mentioned this on here before, but I'm partial to the G hotel the odd time for a coffee...its outside town for sure, but pretty nice place to sit and relax at whatever time, and I find the coffee decent. Haven't done it in a while mind, but I presume they still do it - was around 7 quid for coffee for two with a little brownie each or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭superglue

I really like cafe express for coffee in the evenings.

For business hours, The Kitchen (cafe @ the museum) is very good.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify my point. There's no doubt that you can get a good cup of coffee in galway but with so many cages and many more opening soon you'd expect at least one place would do a great cup.

McDonalds do one of the best cups of coffee in the city and the little stall in Eyre Square did a good cup though that's now gone. Was one of the only places that did flavoured coffee and used flavoured brand and not just a dash of some syrup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

McDonalds do one of the best cups of coffee in the city and the little stall in Eyre Square did a good cup though that's now gone. Was one of the only places that did flavoured coffee and used flavoured brand and not just a dash of some syrup.

A great example of coffee beauty being very much in the taste buds of the beholder! McDs and Flavoured beans would have me running a mile, and in Tobar nua I'd be too annoyed by the propaganda ;)
    Had quite a delish cup in Massimo the other day and a mate says the new coffee place a couple of doors down is good too.

inisboffin wrote: »
    A great example of coffee beauty being very much in the taste buds of the beholder! McDs and Flavoured beans would have me running a mile, and in Tobar nua I'd be too annoyed by the propaganda ;)
    Had quite a delish cup in Massimo the other day and a mate says the new coffee place a couple of doors down is good too.

Nothing wrong with some flavoured coffee, a nice cup of hazelnut coffee can go down a treat. Likewise McD's coffee, it's not great but far better than many more upmarket places in the city. Was handed a cup of Costa Coffee the last day and dumped half it down a drain. Had a cup from Tobar Nua and it wasn't bad but not a chance I'd drink in there, far too many but jobs preaching in there.

Nothing wrong with some flavoured coffee, a nice cup of hazelnut coffee can go down a treat. Likewise McD's coffee, it's not great but far better than many more upmarket places in the city. Was handed a cup of Costa Coffee the last day and dumped half it down a drain. Had a cup from Tobar Nua and it wasn't bad but not a chance I'd drink in there, far too many but jobs preaching in there.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with if you like it!
    I'd rather drink boiling water though - I find most flavoured coffee horrid to the taste buds.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Exactly. Nothing wrong with if you like it!
    I'd rather drink boiling water though - I find most flavoured coffee horrid to the taste buds.

Huge difference between the various flavoured coffees. Any of the syrup ones are loathsome but the flavoured beans are far different. That said you can get awful flavoured beans abd at one of the Christmas markets they had beans that were akin to drinking bleach.

Just to clarify my point. There's no doubt that you can get a good cup of coffee in galway but with so many cages and many more opening soon you'd expect at least one place would do a great cup.

Where was the stall in eyre sq?

Huge difference between the various flavoured coffees. Any of the syrup ones are loathsome but the flavoured beans are far different. That said you can get awful flavoured beans abd at one of the Christmas markets they had beans that were akin to drinking bleach.

Yeah the syrup ones are a whole other circle of hell. However all flavoured coffees are an abomination (to me). Nothing personal to their genres! I've tried the 'good ones' too, believe me!
    It's probably like how some people feel about blackcurrant in a pint of Guinness, tayto flavoured chocolate, menthol fags etc! :D

Where was the stall in eyre sq?

It was at the top of the steps at the entrance that opened onto Eyre Square.

It was at the top of the steps at the entrance that opened onto Eyre Square.

Oh where the subway stall is now ?

• Advertisement

Oh where the subway stall is now ?

Further up from Subway to the left.

Advertisement