Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

polished concrete flooring

• 22-03-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭

Has anybody any experience of this? I have seen it on grand designs and like the look but on asking builders I have been told not financially viable in Ireland as there is little demand. can it be done on a budget?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Polished concrete can be cheaper when compared to fitting a high quality floor covering over the floor.It can be very cold if not used with underfloor heating though.There is 4 / 5 companies working in the dublin area that I know of , I'm sure they will work nationwide as well.

"Can it be done on a budget ?" - Depends on the size of the budget!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Selfbuilder14

Thanks
    Would it be any colder than tiles? We are not putting in underfloor heating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Currently having it done in my refurb. Lads should be done in a few days time. See attached for a photo from last night. Another few layers to go, and then needs sealing, so not quite shiny yet! You can start to see the stone coming though. Having the hall, kitchen/dining, downstairs toilet & utility done.

Important to plan for expansion, & possible cracking, so my architect drew some funky expansion joints coming from each of the steel supports.

I do have underfloor though - to be honest I probably wouldn't probably consider polished concrete without it.

Cost wise, I'm not totally sure, I've a fixed price contract with my contractor, but I think it's around €70 per sqm, so when you consider tile costs, grout, adhesive, fitting costs, it's probably in the ballpark of good quality tile. I'll try to remember to update this thread when I'm done. If you want any more info, PM me.

Updated photo. Polishing and sealing complete, expansion joints yet to be filled. -snip-

I had the option to go as far as platinum, but we stopped grinding before that, think it was 800 Grit
    -snip-

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

timod wrote: »
    Updated photo. Polishing and sealing complete, expansion joints yet to be filled. It's the

I had the option to go as far as platinum, but we stopped grinding before that, think it was 800 Grit
    ]
    you links dont seem to work?

what was the process of deciding on the lines in the concrete. would like to see a photo taken further back

• Advertisement

Hi Bryan,

Sorry - there were parenthesis in the URLs. Try again:
    -snip-

Attached pic before polishing. The floor was power floated etc, so was very smooth ever before polishing started.

Regarding the lines, there are 4 large steel beams in the structure, so there is one emanating from each of those - as that would typically be the start of cracking. The divided slabs should be approximately the same area, so the expansion is similar. Originally we were going to go with straight lines from steel to steel, but would have ended up looking kind of weird, cutting not-exactly half way through the room, and a few cm off centre in the future kitchen island. We decided to go with random lines. I really like it.

Lines cut also separating the different under floor heating <snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭declan52

So roughly how long did the whole polishing process take and approx how much did it run you in the end. Was your price of 70 sqm near enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

These guys use it a lot, search through their pictures
    <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 15 master of all

How did you manage the little holes left from some of the aggregate?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 master of all

Thanks
    Would it be any colder than tiles? We are not putting in underfloor heating.

its as cold as tiles really :)
    also, you have to have the interior to suit it ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

I'm confused. Was the pouring and power floating a part of the job or are you only talking about polishing for €70 sq.m ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

timod wrote: »
    Updated photo. Polishing and sealing complete, expansion joints yet to be filled. -snip-

-snip-

Old thread i know but...that looks great. We have to decide between blue or brown aggregate for our polished concrete (new build) any advice, do you know which one your was?

Advertisement