Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team of the season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Anyone who puts Fellaini in needs to pass me on the number of their dealer because that's some whack sh1t they be smoking.

I'm assuming he's running off the joke from prior to Liverpool - United game, some fella on here was saying Fellaini was far better than Gerrard.

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

De Gea

Coleman
    Skrtel
    Jagielka
    Azpilcueta

Gerrard

Toure
    Henderson

Hazard
    Sturridge
    Suarez.

I'm sure if asked tomorrow I would guve a different team lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

How has nobody mentioned Baines yet at LB.

No-brainier for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Col200sx wrote: »
    How has nobody mentioned Baines yet at LB.

No-brainier for me.

best lb in the league but I think azpil has had a better season so far. Come to think of it everton have the best pair of full backs in the league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

De Gea

Coleman
    Kompany
    Mert
    Baines

Gerrard

Toure
    Ramsey

Suarez
    Sturridge
    Hazard.

Cech, Azpilicueta, Terry, Jagielka, Henderson, Lallana, Aguero

Manager: Brendan Rogers

Mert gets far more stick than I think he deserves, perhaps he had stinkers vs Chelsea & Liverpool but tbh I didn't see those 2 and otherwise I think he was immense but that is the one people will prob disagree with (maybe Terry too but he's has looked v good anytime ive seen him this year and im not a huge Terry fan.

Everton / Liverpool have probably impressed me the most this season and both there managers have gone up hugely in my opinion as a result.

If not for his injury i'd have Ramsey a potential POTY but instead im looking as Suarez despite missing the start with his ban although Hazard has also been great.

Inconsistent I know, Kompany and Ramsey make it despite injuries but Aguero only on the Bench... guess I just felt the impact or difference in thier teams when those players played was massive and while Agueros also was too Sturridge's return this season warranted a place. His inclusion in the starting line up also plays into how I think this team could actually work as a team not 11 individuals as him a Suarez who has to be picked work so well together

weird not having a (outfield) Man Utd player even ont the bench and despite being a Villa fan I couldnt find space for one of our lads while keeping a straight face

... but yeah far too early for this :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

DDG

Coleman----Kompany----Lovren----Baines

Gerard
    Yaya

Lallana
    Rooney
    Hazard

Suarez

Manager: Laudrup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Im suprised but pleased to see gerrard in so many teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I put Gerrard in a 'best so far' team a few months back and got slaughtered for it by even some Pool supporters. He's either had a really good half season or they were wrong all along :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm assuming he's running off the joke from prior to Liverpool - United game, some fella on here was saying Fellaini was far better than Gerrard.

Good times.

Ah i see thank god for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Corholio wrote: »
    I put Gerrard in a 'best so far' team a few months back and got slaughtered for it by even some Pool supporters. He's either had a really good half season or they were wrong all along :pac:

Think it's more the former tbf.

I feel these lists always give far more weight to the second half of the season. Otherwise, how could so many have Henderson in instead of Ramsey?

Not sure about the defence really. Keeper is also difficult enough. Szczesny has been great for us, but I felt that he might not deserve inclusion really. De Gea has lots of highlights too.

Cech
    Coleman Terry Koscielny Azpilicueta
    .........Toure Ramsey
    Hazard ............ Suarez
    ....... Sturridge Aguero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

De Gea

Coleman
    Kompany
    Mert
    Baines

Gerrard

Toure
    Ramsey

Suarez
    Sturridge
    Hazard.

Cech, Azpilicueta, Terry, Jagielka, Henderson, Lallana, Aguero

Manager: Brendan Rogers

Mert gets far more stick than I think he deserves, perhaps he had stinkers vs Chelsea & Liverpool but tbh I didn't see those 2 and otherwise I think he was immense but that is the one people will prob disagree with (maybe Terry too but he's has looked v good anytime ive seen him this year and im not a huge Terry fan.

Everton / Liverpool have probably impressed me the most this season and both there managers have gone up hugely in my opinion as a result.

If not for his injury i'd have Ramsey a potential POTY but instead im looking as Suarez despite missing the start with his ban although Hazard has also been great.

Inconsistent I know, Kompany and Ramsey make it despite injuries but Aguero only on the Bench... guess I just felt the impact or difference in thier teams when those players played was massive and while Agueros also was too Sturridge's return this season warranted a place. His inclusion in the starting line up also plays into how I think this team could actually work as a team not 11 individuals as him a Suarez who has to be picked work so well together

weird not having a (outfield) Man Utd player even ont the bench and despite being a Villa fan I couldnt find space for one of our lads while keeping a straight face

... but yeah far too early for this :pac:

Baines has had an average season for me, Azpilicueta for me.
    I also think Cahill has been excellent, so him alongside Kompany.
    Ramsey started great, but has missed a lot of games, and was getting all the plaudits for his goals more than all-round brilliance. I'd have Lallana.
    Also, Gerrard has had some stinkers, and 8 or his 10 goals have been Pens. Yaya for me.

De Gea

Coleman
    Kompany
    Cahill
    Azpilicueta

Yaya

Hazard
    Lallana

Suarez
    Sturridge
    Aguero

SUBS: Cech, Mert, Ivanovic, Henderson, Oscar, Ramsey, Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

De gea
    Ivanovic kompany koscienly shaw
    Hazzard gerrard Yaya lalanna
    Suarez. Sturridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Cech
    Coleman Kompany Terry Azpilicueta
    Hazzard Ramsey Yaya Lallana
    Suarez Aguero

Bench : Marshall, Ivanovic, Cahill, Baines, Gerrard, Sturridge, Oscar

Manager : BR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Dickerty wrote: »
    Ramsey started great, but has missed a lot of games, and was getting all the plaudits for his goals more than all-round brilliance.

No, it was all-round brilliance. He was up there in terms of assists, and he was top for number of tackles before he got injured. It wasn't just goals, he was genuinely the best player in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Dickerty wrote: »
    Baines has had an average season for me, Azpilicueta for me.
    I also think Cahill has been excellent, so him alongside Kompany.
    Ramsey started great, but has missed a lot of games, and was getting all the plaudits for his goals more than all-round brilliance. I'd have Lallana.
    Also, Gerrard has had some stinkers, and 8 or his 10 goals have been Pens. Yaya for me.

De Gea

Coleman
    Kompany
    Cahill
    Azpilicueta

Yaya

Hazard
    Lallana

Suarez
    Sturridge
    Aguero

SUBS: Cech, Mert, Ivanovic, Henderson, Oscar, Ramsey, Rooney

As you quoted mine when posting that side in comparison, I did say it was a side I could actually see working together as a team not 11 individuals and I think the above wouldnt be able to do the same as the midfield is far too attacking. I think one of the reasons Gerrard is actually making so many teams this time is that he is playing in a far more withdrawn DM role and thus fits formations. Yaya is a beast of a man but a DM that does not make and Lallana and Hazard are far too attacking to make up a midfield trio alongside him hense my inclusion of Hazard in the attacking trio & Gerrard and Ramsey ( who actually was doing great with Tackles, interceptions [and assists] iirc and not just goals) in midfield with Yaya.

baines you may be right on though, I guess it takes a while for my mind to adjust and I still see Azp as a RB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mignolet

Flanagan
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Johnson

Gerrard

Henderson
    Coutinho

Suarez
    Sturridge
    Sterling

Did I do it right?:P

rob316 wrote: »

Mignolet

Flanagan
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Johnson

Gerrard

Henderson
    Coutinho

Suarez
    Sturridge
    Sterling

Did I do it right?:P

No. You've Flanagan and Johnson on the wrong sides.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

best lb in the league but I think azpil has had a better season so far. Come to think of it everton have the best pair of full backs in the league.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Zabaleta and Kolarov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

De Gea

Zabaleta Ivanovic Jagielka Kolarov

Hazard Toure Lallana

Sturridge Suarez Aguero

Subs: Mignolet, Coleman, Mertesacker, Gerrard, Cisse, Long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No. You've Flanagan and Johnson on the wrong sides.

:pac:

So that was my mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

This thread highlights to me the people who dont watch football or just watch their own teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

DDG

Coleman----Kompany----Terry
    Azpil

Ramsey
    Yaya

Sturridge
    Aguero
    Hazard

Suarez

United fan. Maybe bias had me go for DDG over Cech, but in fairness, he has had an excellent season and pulled off a string of great saves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Cech

Azpil

Schneiderlin
    Yaya

Sturridge
    Rooney
    Hazard

Suarez

Chelsea fan,
    Could easily have had a lower half of the table keeper instead.
    Havn't seen many people with Rooney, he does have a decent amount of assists to compliment his goals.
    Anybody inclined to agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Cech

Shaw

Gerrard
    Yaya

Sturridge
    Lallana
    Hazard

Suarez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

A front four of...

Sturridge - Aguero - Hazard

Suarez

...is a great pick. All can interchange as well.

David Marshall and Vito Mannone have been the best keepers in the league this season for me, it seems people just want to go for the big-team goalies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Suarez

Suarez
    Suarez---Suarez
    Suarez

Suarez---- Suarez

Suarez

Suarez
    (c) Suarez
    Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It pains me to see the likes of Sturridge in an EPL XI but he has probably earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Think it's more the former tbf.

I feel these lists always give far more weight to the second half of the season. Otherwise, how could so many have Henderson in instead of Ramsey?

ramsey has only played 60% of arsenals league games thats why i didnt include him the same with aguero. Its a team of the season if this was done at xmas suarez,aguero and ramsey wouldve been my first 3 picks.

• Advertisement

ramsey has only played 60% of arsenals league games thats why i didnt include him the same with aguero. Its a team of the season if this was done at xmas suarez,aguero and ramsey wouldve been my first 3 picks.

Funny considering Suarez missed half of the season up until Christmas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

It pains me to see the likes of Sturridge in an EPL XI but he has probably earned it.

Why does it pain you?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Funny considering Suarez missed half of the season up until Christmas...

5 games is not exactly half of the season. 6 if you want to include the league cup match. By Christmas Liverpool had played 19 games (including 2 cup matches), so you might want to check your maths a bit.

5starpool wrote: »
    5 games is not exactly half of the season. 6 if you want to include the league cup match. By Christmas Liverpool had played 19 games (including 2 cup matches), so you might want to check your maths a bit.

You're right my bad, had the number 10 stuck in my head forgot he used a few of them at the end of last season!

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Why does it pain you?

I like him and all but the bar should really be set a bit higher IMO, considering we could have had RVP/Aguero/Suarez firing on all cylinders + a top class Chelsea & Arsenal striker. I just think the standard is a bit lower than usual aside from Suarez.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

David Marshall and Vito Mannone have been the best keepers in the league this season for me, it seems people just want to go for the big-team goalies.

As have Ruddy and Jaaskelainen when he was playing. Boruc in the first half of the season stuck for me too.

And in those games, he was the best player in the league after Suarez. He merits a place in team of the season way more than Henderson does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Cech

Coleman----Kompany----Terry----Shaw

Hazard
    Toure
    Lallana

Sturridge
    Suarez
    Aguero

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I like him and all but the bar should really be set a bit higher IMO, considering we could have had RVP/Aguero/Suarez firing on all cylinders + a top class Chelsea & Arsenal striker. I just think the standard is a bit lower than usual aside from Suarez.

I dont get it :confused:

It pains you to put in Sturridge cause other players are not playing as good, and other teams dont have a similar type player? - and the net result of this is a 'lower standard' this season?

Sturridge is second with 19 goals in the EPL top scorer table and the Suarez/Sturridge partnership is #1 in Europe.

how high are your standards? and why compare to other un-performing players, or players that dont even exist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

My team *so far* would be as below. Fernandinho doesn't really feature in other selections but I think himself and Ya Ya are mighty together.

Cech

Coleman
    Kompany
    Terry
    Shaw

Gerrard

----Ya Ya Toure
    Fernandinho

Suarez
    Sturridge
    Hazard

Subs: De Gea, Azpilicueta, Koscielny, Henderson, Lallana, Rooney, Aguero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Kompany is gettin picked on reputation

My Team
    __________De Gea_____________
    Coleman___Cahill___Distin___Shaw
    ____Toure___Hazard___Lallana___
    __Sturridge__Suarez___Aguero__

SM01 wrote: »
    My team *so far* would be as below. Fernandinho doesn't really feature in other selections but I think himself and Ya Ya are mighty together.

Czech

Coleman
    Kompany
    Terry
    Shaw

Gerrard

----Ya Ya Youre
    Fernandinho

Suarez
    Sturridge
    Hazard

swap Cech with De Gea and that is my selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Marshall
    Coleman - Terry - Mertesacker - Azpuilceta
    Lallana - Yaya - Hazard
    Aguero - Suarez - Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Come ooooonnnnnn, do it. I know you're out there. The dude who wants to post an 11 without Suarez. Feel the fear and do it anyway.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Come ooooonnnnnn, do it. I know you're out there. The dude who wants to post an 11 without Suarez. Feel the fear and do it anyway.

A little edit here...
    SM01 wrote: »

Czech

Coleman
    Kompany
    Terry
    Shaw

Gerrard

----Ya Ya Toure
    Fernandinho

Evra
    Sturridge
    Hazard

Be deadly cutting in on his left. Can't possibly me more lost there than he currently is at Left Back, anyway.

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »
    the Suarez/Sturridge partnership is #1 in Europe.
    No it isn't, not by a long shot.

Well, according to goals scored they are.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/why-liverpool-duo-luis-suarez-sturridge-are-europes-best-strikeforce-1441613

Suarez + Sturridge - 50 goals.
    Cavani + Ibrahimovic - 61 goals.

Think that article is a bit off.

EDIT: Oh, I see it's only counting league goals. Not sure why, other games count too.

*cough

#1 Luis Suarez (28) and Daniel Sturridge (19) - 47 goals in total.

#2 Cristiano Ronaldo (26) and Karim Benzema (17). 43 goals

Zlatan Ibrahimovic (25) and Edinson Cavani (14). 39 goals.

Lionel Messi (21) and Alexis Sanchez (17). 38 goals

Diego Costa (23) and David Villa (13) - 36 goals

Sergio Agüero (15) and Yaya Toure (16) - 31 goals.

Mario Mandzukic (17) and Thomas Muller (12) - 29 goals.

Carlos Tevez (16) - Fernando Llorente (11). 27 goals.

Wayne Rooney (13) – Robin Van Persie (11). 24 goals

See above. The league isn't the only thing in the season you know ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement