Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well water contamination

Options
  • 22-03-2014 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Boiled my kettle today and got a strong smell of slurry from it and water tastes vile.
    I live in rural area that is heavily farmed and one farmer in particular who spreads on a weekly bases, he does say its water from tanks but it look and smells worse.
    Not sure where or how to get water tested and how I can prove its animal waste. There is a small stream 1/4 of a mile away that another farmer takes water from using his vacuum tank, not sure if this is allowed or related to my problem.

Anyone got any experience in this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, happenned to a friend, he rented out a house in the country and the water was strange. The landlady didn't want to know and he submitted a sample of the water for testing at his own expense (ucd i think). It was positive for coliforms so he moved.
    If you look up the regulations slurry has to be x distance from a well. Sorry I can't be more helpful

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You can't spread slurry within 25m of a domestic well, or 50m of a group well (with recommended guidelines of 100m in both cases).

There are rules and guidelines governing the spreading of slurry- and a 'shure its only water' approach- is not satisfactory- and is liable to generate a fine.

The numerous Irish and EU laws on slurry- include the Nitrates Directive- and no, contrary to what some farmers seem to think- we do not have a derogation on it.

Getting the water tested- would be a good first step- but seriously- don't use it until you've been given the all-clear, its not worth sickening yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

You can't spread slurry within 25m of a domestic well, or 50m of a group well (with recommended guidelines of 100m in both cases).

There are rules and guidelines governing the spreading of slurry- and a 'shure its only water' approach- is not satisfactory- and is liable to generate a fine.

The numerous Irish and EU laws on slurry- include the Nitrates Directive- and no, contrary to what some farmers seem to think- we do not have a derogation on it.

Getting the water tested- would be a good first step- but seriously- don't use it until you've been given the all-clear, its not worth sickening yourself.

I have been thinking about it over night and think the source could be hard to find.
    No slurry has been spread lately and my well is 350 foot deep, which suggests that the cause could be further away.
    I'm still going to investigate and find out as much as possible.

you can smell it from the shower:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

If I were you I would contact the Environment Section of your Local Authority and explain your situation. They will at the very least be able to recommend a Lab to test water.
    In my experience your nose is better than any Lab test!! I would not use this water to shower.
    What part of the country are you in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hi OP and commiserations.

In the middle of a similar situation here but there is abundant help to be had

First you can call EPA the Environmental Protection Agency. They have a 24 hour helpline 1850365 121

Also the Environmental Health folk at your local council.

EPA can order the council to investigate. And they can and do prosecute.. See their web site

Here a farmer sprayed slurry near my well.
    Called EPA and within 48 hours the council were out. They measured 17 metres only.. nothing said re the 100 metres but they agree the 25

I am pressing for them to test the water for me. So far it is clear but need it to stay that way

They also said, the council that is, that only 5 metres from the river at the other side of that field, but I have since learned that the famer concenred is applying for a E7000 grant to not spray his fields near the river as there are rare freshwater mussels there.

Have informed the relevant authorities..

PS plesae do not use that water for anything. It is toxic and very dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have been thinking about it over night and think the source could be hard to find.
    No slurry has been spread lately and my well is 350 foot deep, which suggests that the cause could be further away.
    I'm still going to investigate and find out as much as possible.

you can smell it from the shower:mad:

Deep wells suffer more apparently; there is a thread somewhere here about that ,, try slurry spreading in search.

But call EPA now please! They will advise and can get the council to act. Here I saw the farmer doing it which made it easier. We tried to stop him but got a mouthful of abuse,

Advertisement