Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HRM Training

Options
  • 22-03-2014 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hello Boardies!

Just wondering if anyone can give me some guidance based on their own experiences. Have started training "properly" with an HRM. I've used HRMs for years but never had the discipline to train properly within the Zones.

Can anyone offer a true insight into the benefits they've experienced from training in this way? Does anyone have a link to decent training programmes? I've been working off a Polar / Team Argos-Shimano plan up to now. For example, today was the following:

25mins Warm up - Zone 1
    45 Mins of - Zone 2 for 5 Mins - Zone 3 for 5 Mins
    25 Mins of Zone 2
    45 Mins of - Zone 3 for 5 Mins - Zone 2 for 5 Mins
    10 Mins Warm down - Zone 1

Every thing I've read has said discipline is everything when training to a HRM... The problem is I've come in feeling like I could have 'given more'.

Any feedback would be most welcome!!

Cheers folks

Cyleoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭pprendeville

If you can spare a few bob go and get a power meter and train with power or else sign up to trainer road and use virtual power. You will get more benefits to training this way. HR fluctuates daily - stress, tiredness, freshness all affect your HR. Power gives an instant and accurate (depending on the brand but usually +/-3% accuracy) readout of how hard you are working. HR lags behind. It's slow to catch up with the effort you're making and slow to slow down, you could be frewheeling after reaching the top of a climb yet your HR is close to max. But it's a good starting point.

Find you're threshold, set your zones and depending on what type of cycling you do (road racing, CycleX, Mtn biking, etc) train accordingly. Graham Street does excellent podcasts. See Everyday Cyclist and listen to a few (Cycling Threahold Q & A is a good one to start with). Any decent coach can give you a plan based on HR plus there's lots of websites. I use training4cyclists and train around my threshold mainly as my time is limited and I can't afford to be doing long slow distance cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

If you can spare a few bob go and get a power meter and train with power or else sign up to trainer road and use virtual power. You will get more benefits to training this way.

Definitely can't spring for a power meter at this stage... Only wish I could. Looking forward to seeing what price point the Brim Brothers pitch theirs at (www.brimbrothers.com/about) - Got a good write up in dcrainmaker.com who I've come to trust and love!
    I use training4cyclists and train around my threshold mainly as my time is limited and I can't afford to be doing long slow distance cycles.

Thanks for that, will check it out. I've the opportunity to take a long commute (35km each way) so might look at doing the Threshold stuff during my commute that a couple of times a week and some long slow distances at the weekend. It's just very hard to know whether it's training smart and effective or not and i haven't met anyone who can vouch for the disciplined Long Slow Distance approach.

I think anyone who races regularly tends to train with a group and the Slow part of the Long Slow Distance approach goes out the window with half wheeling and the likes always pushing things up.

Would love to hear from someone who has been disciplined with the HRM as I feel like the Long Slow Distance approach is a waste of time (even though ALL the books, websites etc etc say otherwise.)

Advertisement