Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Office.

Options
  • 22-03-2014 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭

Hey, bit of a problem here, hope I can get some advice.

I bought my laptop in 2010. It has Microsoft Office installed, (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc). Now, the problem is that there is no product key. It lets me open the program, and even open files in the programmes, but all the ribbons are ghosted out, hence I can't do anything. It constantly asks for the 25 digit product key. I checked the bottom of the laptop and there is a sticker for Microsoft Office there, but the codes don't work. I was talking to an I.T colleague in work, and she reckons that the Key should have been given to me when I bought the laptop. What's your views on this, should I have gotten the key, should I go back and look for it, or what?

Thanks Guys :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Does the sticker say Office specifically, or Windows?

It sounds like it was on a trial version that ran out.

LibreOffice is a good, free open source alternative if you're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I have Open Office alrite, but it's hard to get used to, everything is all over the place compared to Microsoft. The sticker under says "Proof of Licence, Certificate of Authenticity, Microsoft". Most of the rest of it is faded away, but it also says "label not to be sold separately" if that gives any clue that it is a proper bought version.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

MS Office keys generally are separate and not affixed to the PC/laptop. It's possible the Windows key that is under the laptop. This will not activate Office. you possibly do have a trial copy as many computers come with the trial version which needs a key after the trial period.
    Unless you paid extra for Office when you bought the laptop, it is doubtful that a license was included. If you did buy it, look for a piece of cardboard or a sleeve which should contain the Office key

Nick

No I'm nearly positive that I didn't pay anything extra for Office, so that would explain it. Is there a way I can get a key, to re-activate Office that's already on the laptop (at a fee I suppose). I know that to buy Office again it costs in excess of €100, surely if I could get a key it wouldn't cost that much? Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭dmc17

You could try Office Web Apps or Google Apps as free online alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Harold Finch

Libre office isin't open office.

It's a much further along fork.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

If you're a student, look at Software4Students as a cheap option.

No I'm not a student, I'm the other side of the table! I'll try that Libre Office and see. If all fails, i'll just buy Microsoft Office again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

No I'm not a student, I'm the other side of the table! I'll try that Libre Office and see. If all fails, i'll just buy Microsoft Office again!

The conditions for the Software4Students deal used to be fairly broad. If there was any student in the house, you could legitimately buy the student version, at much reduced rate. You might like to check the conditions now.

Advertisement