Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headphones for €200

• 22-03-2014 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Hey, I've been searching for a good set of headphones for the past few days after my old Sennheisers packed it in, I have a few in mind though I'm far from an expert so just thought I'd look for a few recommendations

They'll be exclusively for home use, mainly for listening to rock music though some gaming and watching movies as well, sound leakage isn't an issue. I'd prefer an over-ear design and would like wireless though I know wired will give a better sound so I'm not too fussed on that

€200 is the absolute max I'd be willing to pay, obviously the cheaper the better

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

While not wireless, these are the headphones I'd seriously suggest you get.
    Finding decent wireless under 200 may not be easy!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-High-End-Open-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395577092&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd+598

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

marko93 wrote: »
    While not wireless, these are the headphones I'd seriously suggest you get.
    Finding decent wireless under 200 may not be easy!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-High-End-Open-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395577092&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd+598

and just a heads up on these fantastic headphones, if you contact hifihut in dublin they will try beat amazons price or get as close as possible to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah I was looking at those ones all right, I came across these as well, they're tied to the dock but as I'll only be using them at home it wouldn't be a problem.

Any opinions? Both get very good reviews on amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Unfortunately no experience, but I've sent enough things back to Amazon to know that you could buy them, try them and return if need be. (fairly hassle free if you live close to a Post Office)

Have a look here too, may get some ideas.
    http://www.head-fi.org/a/2013-head-fi-winter-gift-guide-wireless-headphones

So you could give them a bash yourself. At the end of the day, only you will really know what sound you will enjoy. Good luck, let us know how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Morf wrote: »
    Better off going Sennheiser HD25-1 II for that money.

Interesting...will have look at these as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Better off going Sennheiser HD25-1 II for that money.

The momentums are a fair bit more comfortable than the HD25's, it's a slight trade off but I'd rather the comfort. Then again, if your ears are on the bigger side of average the momentums can be a little bit annoying (why did they make the cups so small? an extra cm would benefit so many!)

Also, have a look at the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 and Beyerdynamic DT770 since you won't be using them in a noisy environment.

Seems to be quite a few in that price range, I'll have a look through all of those this evening. I would rather bigger cups as my ears are on the bigger side of normal and I find on ear headphones uncomfortable if I'm wearing them for prolonged periods.

I was set on the RS180's but then realised the device needs to be plugged in to the dock so that's not much good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

For rock music, gaming, overear and watching movies I'd say the Beyerdynamic dt770 or the Audio Technica Ath M50 would be your best bet. There's a couple of different versions of each, the Beyer has 3 different ohm ratings: 32, 80 and 250 (the last 2 might need an amp to play music from an ipod) and the M50 is available in straight, coiled or detachable cables I think. I've the 80 ohm Beyers and they're very comfortable to wear despite their large size.

Right so after some more research I'm liking the DT770s, a bit confused with the different ohm values but II've just come across the Fiio E17 amp which I might consider getting to compliment them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

If you're getting the E17 then get the 250Ωs

yimrsg wrote: »
    For rock music, gaming, overear and watching movies I'd say the Beyerdynamic dt770 or the Audio Technica Ath M50 would be your best bet. There's a couple of different versions of each, the Beyer has 3 different ohm ratings: 32, 80 and 250 (the last 2 might need an amp to play music from an ipod) and the M50 is available in straight, coiled or detachable cables I think. I've the 80 ohm Beyers and they're very comfortable to wear despite their large size.

Since the Audio Technica ATH-M50Xs are out the old model has taken a decent cut in price on Amazon.

Only saw that they (M50X) were out today actually.

Well I've just gone ahead and bought the DT770 and an E17 amp, a bit more than I was hoping to spend with the amp but hopefully it'll be worth it. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll give feedback once I try them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Since the Audio Technica ATH-M50Xs are out the old model has taken a decent cut in price on Amazon.

Only saw that they (M50X) were out today actually.

I only saw that they were getting posted a lot on hukd for decent prices and didn't know there was a new version.

yimrsg wrote: »
    I only saw that they were getting posted a lot on hukd for decent prices and didn't know there was a new version.

A friend of mine I'd suggested the ATH-M50s to told me he was buying the X version and I realised I had no idea what it was.

Looked it up hence posting here.

Good stuff, Harps! Hope they bring you years or listening pleasure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Harps wrote: »
    Hey, I've been searching for a good set of headphones for the past few days after my old Sennheisers packed it in, I have a few in mind though I'm far from an expert so just thought I'd look for a few recommendations

They'll be exclusively for home use, mainly for listening to rock music though some gaming and watching movies as well, sound leakage isn't an issue. I'd prefer an over-ear design and would like wireless though I know wired will give a better sound so I'm not too fussed on that

€200 is the absolute max I'd be willing to pay, obviously the cheaper the better

Thanks for any help!

When I saw that €200 was your absolute max I refrained from posting my suggestion which is €229. But maybe you had to exceed your max to get the 770's and the amp? I was going to suggest that you would need an amp as well but maybe get the headphones first and see how they sounded unamped.

€229 including postage for AKG Q701's from Thomann. B stock but the ones I got are exactly like new. These (or their equivalent K701/702) have always been touted by those in the know as "flagship" or "reference" headphones, along with the Sennheiser HD650's. Not that that means anything.

I have both the Sennheisers (got the 650's years ago) and the AKG now and two full size amps to do them justice, Heed CanAmp and Audio-gd C-2C.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/akg_q_701_green_b_stock.htm

K701's are €210 including postage I think but they have a fixed cable and I wanted a detachable cable version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

When I saw that €200 was your absolute max I refrained from posting my suggestion which is €229. But maybe you had to exceed your max to get the 770's and the amp? I was going to suggest that you would need an amp as well but maybe get the headphones first and see how they sounded unamped.

€229 including postage for AKG Q701's from Thomann. B stock but the ones I got are exactly like new. These (or their equivalent K701/702) have always been touted by those in the know as "flagship" or "reference" headphones, along with the Sennheiser HD650's. Not that that means anything.

I have both the Sennheisers (got the 650's years ago) and the AKG now and two full size amps to do them justice, Heed CanAmp and Audio-gd C-2C.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/akg_q_701_green_b_stock.htm

K701's are €210 including postage I think but they have a fixed cable and I wanted a detachable cable version.

I've a pair of the 701q's and they are simply stunning but you do need a good amp for them. I picked them up in the US for $139 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Once you get used to supra-aural headphones they are in my opinion a lot more durable and useful than circum-aurals. For reference I have ATH-M50's and AKG K 701's and they haven't been touched in a while because of my Amperiors.

Will be picking up a pair of DT 770s within the next few months so I'll see how they get on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement