Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash In the Pan Managers

• 22-03-2014 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Aidy Boothroyd
    Paul Jewell
    Avram Grant
    Roberto Di Matteo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

A+. Would read again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Owen Coyle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

flash in the pan threads

this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

AVB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Juande Ramos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Hector Cuper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Raf32 wrote: »
    Juande Ramos

I agree, and have chosen to quote this rather than thank it

Javier Clemente

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Alex Ferguson. I can't see him getting another PL managers job.

5starpool wrote: »
    Alex Ferguson. I can't see him getting another PL managers job.

But he has had such a long career I don't think it would be fair to categorise him as a flash in the pan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

john gregory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Peter Taylor
    George Burley
    Owen Coyle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Raf32 wrote: »
    Juande Ramos

I think this is slightly harsh. He's won more big trophies than most managers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Dave O Leary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

But he has had such a long career I don't think it would be fair to categorise him as a flash in the pan.

Whoosh!

fullstop wrote: »
    Whoosh!

Indicates that the joke just told was too sophisticated for the listener and has gone "way over their head".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Phil Brown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Mike Walker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wim Jansen, maybe?

Wim Jansen?

He retired after his time at Celtic so not sure if he would count.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whoever it was that got the job at Blackburn after that bloke was sacked and before the next bloke was sacked. Yeah him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Steve Staunton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wim Jansen?

Why did he retire actually, do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Neil3030 wrote: »

This :D

1.28 is fuking heartbreaking for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

wonga77 wrote: »
    Steve Staunton

There isn't a single element of success in his management career for him to be considered a flash in the pan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Flash in the pan indicates you were briefly good, but then suddenly stopped being good. Wim Jansen never stopped being good, he just resigned!

On 3 July 1997, Wim Jansen was appointed as head coach of Celtic, replacing the sacked Tommy Burns. He went on to guide them to their first Scottish league championship in 10 years, ending the hopes of rival Rangers to win a tenth consecutive championship. Despite winning the league and the Scottish League Cup during his only season in charge, Jansen left the club less than 48 hours after the title was secured due to a personality clash with general manager Jock Brown. His most notable transfer was the signing of Henrik Larsson from Feyenoord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Paul Le Guen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That Swiss guy that managed Spurs for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There isn't a single element of success in his management career for him to be considered a flash in the pan

I think the name "Steve Staunton" is a legitimate funny stock answer for any thread about managers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Christian Gross? Was trying to think of his name to post it then read your post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gianluca Vialli would be the one for me. He won the Cup Winner's cup. FA Cup, League Cup. Charity Shield and Super Cup with Chelsea in a couple of seasons. He also brought them to the Champion's League for the first time and brought them to the QFs in it. He then fell out with the players and got sacked, went to Watford and failed miserably. He hasn't managed since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Tim Sherwood....he started off well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

yTaMszy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

mike65 wrote: »
    Whoever it was that got the job at Blackburn after that bloke was sacked and before the next bloke was sacked. Yeah him.

Steve kean ?

no wait

Henning Berg ?

no wait

Michael Appleton ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Whatever happened to Peter Reid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

He never achieved anything at Spurs so flash in the pan doesn't quite cover it. Also after Spurs he spent 10 good years as Basel manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

barone wrote: »
    john gregory

He's doing a decent job since he took over Crawley Town earlier in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Dave O Leary

"he takes all arsenal's penalties"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Wim Jansen, maybe?
    Wim Jansen?

Something I never understood. Celtic played some brilliant football under Jansen, were great to watch. I know he didn't get on with Brown or McCann so quit, strange that he didn't manage anyone again

I think he went on to be DoF at Feyenoord or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

+1 to the Dave O'Leary, Vialli, Phil Brown and Paul Jewell - had a brief period of seeming pretty excellent and then went downhill fast. Possibly also Peter Reid.

I'd also nominate Ruud Gullit and Paolo Di Canio. Glenn Roeder and Stuart Pearce looked like they were going to be good at Newcastle and City respectively. Would Alan Curbishly count? He had a long enough purple patch with Charlton, but everything he's done since has been very meh.

Finally, at a much lower level, Roddy Collins did a very good job at Bohs and has been a walking punchline ever since.

I just don't understand the disdain towards Di Matteo, however. In his first job, he got MK Dons to third place in the league and a play-off final. In his second job, he got West Brom up to the Premier League playing great football, and got sacked after his first bad run while still outside the relegation zone. In his third job, he took charge of a demoralised and difficult squad, winning the FA Cup and Champions League. Then he got sacked during his first sticky spell. His record covers three full seasons, league finishes in 3rd, 2nd, 6th, one promotion and two major trophies. He clearly does something right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

geeky wrote: »
    +1 to the Dave O'Leary, Vialli, Phil Brown and Paul Jewell - had a brief period of seeming pretty excellent and then went downhill fast. Possibly also Peter Reid.

I'd also nominate Ruud Gullit and Paolo Di Canio. Glenn Roeder and Stuart Pearce looked like they were going to be good at Newcastle and City respectively. Would Alan Curbishly count? He had a long enough purple patch with Charlton, but everything he's done since has been very meh.

Finally, at a much lower level, Roddy Collins did a very good job at Bohs and has been a walking punchline ever since.

I just don't understand the disdain towards Di Matteo, however. In his first job, he got MK Dons to third place in the league and a play-off final. In his second job, he got West Brom up to the Premier League playing great football, and got sacked after his first bad run while still outside the relegation zone. In his third job, he took charge of a demoralised and difficult squad, winning the FA Cup and Champions League. Then he got sacked during his first sticky spell. His record covers three full seasons, league finishes in 3rd, 2nd, 6th, one promotion and two major trophies. He clearly does something right.

I don't think that's fair on Curbishley. He got West Ham to a 10th place finish and then left the next season (when they were 5th) due to a transfer dispute. He hasn't taken any jobs since bar the Fulham DoF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Tim Sherwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There was the glorious 3-0 destruction of Sweden. Lest we forget :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Kevin Keegan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Michael Laudrup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Bruce Rioch - got Bolton to a league cup final and promotion to the Premier League, then moved to Arsenal, succeeding George Graham. Lasted one season and never really got anywhere significant after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Aidy Boothroyd is a great shout. Came in at Watford with his hoofball approach, had an incredible first season and we went up, spanking Leeds in the play off final. Straight back down the next season, and played well until October, but from then on, it all just went downhill, and that can be said for all his jobs since too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Pat Scully.

Had a good season with Kilkenny City, went to Rovers and won the First Division in his first season. Then he had them as Drogheda's closest title challengers towards the end of the 2007, but fell from 2nd to 5th place. Another unremarkable season in 2008, where he left before the end. He did win the First Division with Limerick, but only when he was given a very big budget and when all the other good teams (Cork City, Derry City, Shels, Monaghan) got promoted ahead of them.

At one point, he was regarded as the best up-and-coming manager in the league by many (myself included), but he didn't really build on it. He's had his fair share of bust ups with players during his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Di Matteo is still collecting 130k/week from Chelsea until the end of June, you'll definitely see him back managing next season. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2503321/Chelsea-paying-Roberto-Di-Matteo-130-000-week.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Nigel Adkins
    Brian McDermott

• Advertisement
Advertisement