Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash In the Pan Managers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Martin O'Neill. Comes into a club, passes out cocaine and Red Bull, gets everyone super motivated and bouncing off the walls. The big crash happens about a year later when he leaves/sacked, leaving behind a squad the wrong side of 30 and a club 50 million quid in the hole... happens every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Roy Evans, coca cola cup and some decent football but then he also had the white suit debacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Frank Clark.

A promotion to the PL with Forest in '94, followed by 3rd and 9th place finishes. Sacked in December '96 after a horrendous start to the season. Went to Man City but only succeeded in helping them slide down the First Division table before being relegated in '98.

Never managed again after leaving City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Not G.R wrote: »
    Martin O'Neill. Comes into a club, passes out cocaine and Red Bull, gets everyone super motivated and bouncing off the walls. The big crash happens about a year later when he leaves/sacked, leaving behind a squad the wrong side of 30 and a club 50 million quid in the hole... happens every time.

I'm blue in the face from saying this to people about MON!

He's not there yet - but i reckon Ian Holloway will be a flash in the pan manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Not G.R wrote: »

You a Villa fan? Can't argue with you in relation to his tenure at Villa but he did very well at Celtic and he left them in pretty good financial shape, if I remember correctly. SPL and EPL are a completely different beast of course.

COYW wrote: »
    You a Villa fan? Can't argue with you in relation to his tenure at Villa but he did very well at Celtic and he left them in pretty good financial shape, if I remember correctly. SPL and EPL are a completely different beast of course.

He left Celtic in an absolute mess - Gordon Strachan had to clean up that mess and still managed 3 in a row as well as qualification from the CL group stages.

When MON left Celtic you Bobo Balde on 40k a week just as a case in point.

He had success but you must remember that this was with Henrik Larsson in his prime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    He left Celtic in an absolute mess - Gordon Strachan had to clean up that mess and still managed 3 in a row as well as qualification from the CL group stages.

When MON left Celtic you Bobo Balde on 40k a week just as a case in point.

He had success but you must remember that this was with Henrik Larsson in his prime!

Ok, not a Celtic fan at all. Didn't realise this. Many thanks for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

COYW wrote: »

No, Celtic. He left Celtic in an absolute shambles. Gordon Strachan used some kind of sorcery to keep us competitive domesticly and in Europe on a complete shoe string. We're only really financialy stable now, 10 years after he left.

He also left Leister in a mess and didn't leave Sunderland in the best shape either.

With no money to spend I think international management will be his calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I'm going to throw Paul Jewell into the mix as well. His biggest achievements were winning league one and saving Wigan from relegation on the final day(on goal difference), albeit with a lot of help from Carlos Tevez. He was seen as a Houdini type after that.

He was strongly linked with the Ireland job too before Trap took over despite the fact that it took him close to a year to win a league game with Derby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Raf32 wrote: »
    Michael Laudrup?

Based on his career so far, Laudrup seems to be a serial pan-flasher - does amazingly for a season, and it all goes pear-shaped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

dreamers75 wrote: »

This :D

1.28 is fuking heartbreaking for me :(

Why did you link clips from that match when referring to Wim Jansen? Wim Jansen had already departed Celtic when that tie took place.

I'm going to throw Paul Jewell into the mix as well. His biggest achievements were winning league one and saving Wigan from relegation on the final day(on goal difference), albeit with a lot of help from Carlos Tevez. He was seen as a Houdini type after that.

He was strongly linked with the Ireland job too before Trap took over despite the fact that it took him close to a year to win a league game with Derby.
    Any manager would have struggled to win a game with that side. They were an average Championship side who Davies somehow got to the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Brendan Rodgers - to win the league with Liverpool this season and never be heard from again :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

rob316 wrote: »
    Brendan Rodgers - to win the league with Liverpool this season and never be heard from again :pac::pac:

Oh don't worry, if Liverpool win the league we'll hear about it again. And again. And again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Tony-Barton-011.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

fullstop wrote: »
    Christian Gross? Was trying to think of his name to post it then read your post!

Very successful manager:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Tony-Barton-011.jpg

Speaking as a Villa fan who went to the game yesterday .... Thanks Tony

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Barton_(footballer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Peter Taylor
    Tony Mowbray
    Glenn Roeder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Very successful manager:confused:

Yea, I misremembered what his story was.
    I thought he had arrive at Spurs on the back of being a good Swiss league manager, hung around for a few years and then vanished
    I was obviously incorrect
    Sorry Herr. Gross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

George Burley? Had that one amazing season with Ipswich, and then relegated a bunch of teams. Haven't heard his name mentioned in ages. Had decent seasons with Ipswich in Division 1, but nothing close to what he did in getting them into Europe.

Armin Veh? Won the Bundesliga with Stuttgart and not much else to his career

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Tony-Barton-011.jpg

He had quite a good reason for not managing very much after that in fairness.

Martin Jol - soon to be inducted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

The man with the most unpronounceable name in football - Ricky Sbragia!

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Mike Walker
    Was just coming on here to mention him! Did great with Norwich, nothing with Everton, and then disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

dreamers75 wrote: »

This :D

1.28 is fuking heartbreaking for me :(

Was there that night as a Pats fan.. Still breaks my heart

Even worse was the 2nd leg. Disgraceful

Advertisement