Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick goldfish...or is it?

Options
  • 22-03-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,

I have a fancy goldfish. About two weeks ago I noticed 2 small dark patches on its right side. Shortly after I noticed small white cysts on his pectoral fins.

Please see the blurry photo attached 2014-03-17 11.14.21.jpg. Below is a description of his behaviour (and mine!) in the past few weeks:

After one full water change two weeks previous to noticing discolouration he darted around the tank quite alot. He eventually calmed down. I later learned that I shouldn't be doing full water changes and haven't done since.

I got some floating aquatic plants at the local pet shop, all of which he ate. Maybe they came from an infected tank?

I had been feeding him tiny amounts twice a day. I have reduced to once a day.

He often stays beneath the filter. Though he does alot of intervals of blowing bubbles at the top of the tank

For a couple of days he kept trying to swim upwards in the space between the tank wall and the filter. I thought he was trying to get food stuck in the filter but now think he may have been trying to scratch.

I bought Methylene blue and added the prescribed dose to the tank (as instructed by the enclosed booklet) now thinking I probably shouldn't have but I don't have a second tank.

Initially the tank was so blue I couldn't see the fish unless he was very close to the glass so I performed a 50% water change and have done 20 % changes today and yesterday.

It's been three days and there are still gross white cysts on his fins. Seems like the dark patches are a little smaller but hard to tell with the blue water.

Any ideas of what I should do next? Should I leave the concentration as it is, add more Methylene blue? Or were the cysts just a sign that the fish is a He and so it's just a sign of breeding?

He's about a year and a half old and before I had him he had no filter and was doing fine. I've had him for 6 months and until a couple of weeks ago he was fine. :(

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've grown quite fond of him. :o

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Anusia wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have a fancy goldfish. About two weeks ago I noticed 2 small dark patches on its right side. Shortly after I noticed small white cysts on his pectoral fins.

Please see the blurry photo attached 2014-03-17 11.14.21.jpg. Below is a description of his behaviour (and mine!) in the past few weeks:

After one full water change two weeks previous to noticing discolouration he darted around the tank quite alot. He eventually calmed down. I later learned that I shouldn't be doing full water changes and haven't done since.

I got some floating aquatic plants at the local pet shop, all of which he ate. Maybe they came from an infected tank?

I had been feeding him tiny amounts twice a day. I have reduced to once a day.

He often stays beneath the filter. Though he does alot of intervals of blowing bubbles at the top of the tank

For a couple of days he kept trying to swim upwards in the space between the tank wall and the filter. I thought he was trying to get food stuck in the filter but now think he may have been trying to scratch.

I bought Methylene blue and added the prescribed dose to the tank (as instructed by the enclosed booklet) now thinking I probably shouldn't have but I don't have a second tank.

Initially the tank was so blue I couldn't see the fish unless he was very close to the glass so I performed a 50% water change and have done 20 % changes today and yesterday.

It's been three days and there are still gross white cysts on his fins. Seems like the dark patches are a little smaller but hard to tell with the blue water.

Any ideas of what I should do next? Should I leave the concentration as it is, add more Methylene blue? Or were the cysts just a sign that the fish is a He and so it's just a sign of breeding?

He's about a year and a half old and before I had him he had no filter and was doing fine. I've had him for 6 months and until a couple of weeks ago he was fine. :(

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've grown quite fond of him. :o

How big is your tank?

Goldfish are a nitrate producing fish and really should be kept in a pond rather than a tank.

From experience you can be lucky or unlucky keeping goldfish in a tank but ideally they should have something like 100 litres each minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

chopper6 wrote: »
    How big is your tank?

Goldfish are a nitrate producing fish and really should be kept in a pond rather than a tank.

From experience you can be lucky or unlucky keeping goldfish in a tank but ideally they should have something like 100 litres each minimum.

All fish are nitrate producing fish....Goldfish just more so.

A better guide to literage is 200lts for the first gf, then 100 for each extra.

There is no problem keeping them in aquariums at all, just make sure you have a filter capable of keeping up with the bioload.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    All fish are nitrate producing fish....Goldfish just more so.

A better guide to literage is 200lts for the first gf, then 100 for each extra.

There is no problem keeping them in aquariums at all, just make sure you have a filter capable of keeping up with the bioload.

With respect,i hve never heard of anybody with a 200lr tank keeping ONE goldfish in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

chopper6 wrote: »
    With respect,i hve never heard of anybody with a 200lr tank keeping ONE goldfish in it.

With respect, i have. Adults need the room (so i'm told. Goldfish suck in all honesty).

CruelCoin wrote: »
    With respect, i have. Adults need the room (so i'm told. Goldfish suck in all honesty).

I have a pond :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

How long is the tank setup? Have you tested your water? Does it feed when you offer food?

Advertisement